PDA

View Full Version : Knock Sensor

bds3714
07-15-2008, 06:36 PM
My 92 Celica GT convertible with a 5S-FE ECu is squaking a code 52, Knock sensor. I cannot find the Knock sensor. Chilton manual does not show a good location picture. I do have a bare wire on the back side of the block though! I am bringing this car back to life from a long life of abuse...Can comeone give me a good description of where the knock sensor should be?

bds3714
07-16-2008, 03:22 PM
I figured this out. I did a search for the bare wire that I found. What threw me is that Chilton said that the knock sensor wire was white. It is actually clear! and it is a shielded wire and the outer shield is brown. It looks like the knock sensor is on the rear (intake side) on the lower middle close to the right drive shaft. there are two threaded holes, one on top of the other. Evidently the old knock sensor was removed, came loose and got caught up in the drive shaft and was ripped off, who knows! I just bought this car and i am workiing through the abuse! I will post some pics and a description of the knock sensor and what it does.

bds3714
07-28-2008, 05:17 PM
It appears that there was an engine swap on this car. 92 was the first year for the knock sensor, at least in this particulat location. The engine in this car must be a pre 92 block. I created a knock sensor mount out of stand-offs that I bought at the hardware store. I had to by a tap because I could not find a standoff that had a 12M x 1.25 thread pitch. I plan to put it all back together once I get back from vacation. I cleaned the intake and carb all the grease and dirt that has accumulated from the previous owner/abuser.

METDeath
07-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Carb?? these are EFI cars, you should probably post a pic of the engine bay.