PDA

View Full Version : Is This A Good Idea???

tekstep01
07-12-2008, 09:57 AM
heres whats up.... my GT-S was involved in an unfortunate accident a month ago, i didnt bleed the brakes throughly and one side locked and it spun my ass into a g-rail.... the front was all pushed in, the bumper, both fenders, headlights, and all the plastic is gone. i ripped the fenders, the headlights, the hood out.(the piks below are b-4) im looking at the frame and its a little kinked, mainly the front part where the radiator bolts on, and part of the two rails extending frontwards from the shocks.(c-Pik) i think i can pull the bends out with a come-along, and a tree. (they arent majorly crumpled, just kinked in two directions)
the front alignment is just as good as stock, but the back drivers side wheel is kinked bad from hitting the curb.(CEE PIKS B-low) the top is at least an inch or two over the bottom. now i have a celica st..89 same gen only a coupe with a totally blown engine. i want to swap the following out of it into the 87';
headlight assembly, the fenders & hood, the rear A-arm assembly, sun visors, center console, radiator, powersteering pump, heater control unit & blower motor, fuel tank sender, motor mounts(the 87 has a bent one on the under assembly) and ect.
does anyone think these parts wont fit? or has a personal exp. that one of the parts isnt swap worthy???
i want to keep the gt-s i dont want to swap the 3s-ge into a gay st model, be sides i like the hatchi, better.... anyone?
the two cars are same gen, the gt-s has a 3s-ge, the 89 has a 3s-fe...
the fenders and hood fit, i checked, the a-arm ass. looks about the same size..
any comments, or knowledge?

T-spoon
07-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Ugh, I personally don't think it's worth the effort nor would I trust the end results. If the engine is good I say find yourself a shell that you like if you don't like your other one. Safer and probably cheaper in the long run.

celicaGT90_05
07-12-2008, 09:13 PM
I have to agree, I'd look for a different shell instead, it looks pretty messed up

Rick89GTS
07-12-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm the same; I much prefer the hatch and I'd never be totally happy with a coupe. I agree with T-spoon, probably much easier and cheaper to find a GTS HB shell with a bad motor and go from there. Most of the parts will swap over though I can't tell you part by part.

tekstep01
07-12-2008, 10:10 PM
yeah i pressure washed the entire car, no big cracks just bends.... if you saw the car as is now without the fenders and headlights you can see the frame is not really that bad. im worried mainly about the rear a-arm, no structural damage, just bent arm bars...

Rick89GTS
07-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Ok, you can see the damage, we can't. Good luck, take some pics of the rebuild.

tekstep01
07-12-2008, 10:13 PM
oh whats up with the glue stuff on the joints? did they glue the car together? i mean its helpful while im straighting it out cause i can match up where the org. position of the bumper went... but if its just glued together im gonna have to tack weld that right? to give it some strength?

T-spoon
07-12-2008, 11:05 PM
Um.... I doubt it's glue. A lot of the sheet metal may be attatched with rivets or weld.

PS. You don't have a frame, you have subframe and crossmembers in places (namely engine bay), but it's unibody, the strength of the chassis comes from the interconnection of each piece of sheet metal, just keep that in mind when trying to determine what is superficial damage and what may be more severe, especially in places where you can't see the inner pieces such as is the case on rocker panel areas where there can be two or three layers.

Rick89GTS
07-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Not glue, I think it's a joint sealer that protects the welds from corrosion.

tekstep01
07-13-2008, 02:40 AM
ah thank you... yeah the rocker panel areas are cool. the crush boxes across the front rails are intact not warped... most of the damage is in the bumper stay area, and the driver side leading quarter panel(front plate) id post piks but my camera is missing in action.. also i noticed a lot of the bends are pretty minor. no tears, no true crush..... thats a good sign.

airoscar
07-20-2008, 05:08 AM
i would not even bother if the frame has some sort of damage, bend or what-so-ever. (most frame damage from accidents like that are just bend, they never "crack down" unless it's some kind of accident that no one survives).
you can't have the same frame after you bend it back, even if it looks like new afterwards there might be internal damage in the material. that's why in canada here, you can't even get a car licensed if it has the slightest rust on the frame.

Rix86
07-20-2008, 09:25 PM
unibody.
frame damage in multiple locations.
not a valuable car.
get rid of it.