PDA

View Full Version : my gt-s heater sucks,

tekstep01
07-12-2008, 09:30 AM
I have two celicas, an 87 GT-S and a 89 ST... same gen. i got a 87 gts im re-building with the fenders and hood from the ST, after a total wrecked front end. im in the process of pulling out the crunch.
the st has the oldskool slider type of heater/AC control unit.... witch always worked, while the gt-s has some new "Push Button" control unit for the heat/AC and it never friggin worked..... is it a difficult job to step it down to the more dependible quote: ANOLOG unit?

The Captain
07-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Old skool works better.

Rick89GTS
07-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Tek,

Waaaay too much work to convert the heater.
Just fix the GTS one by resoldering the connections on the rear of the heater control panel. It'll get your AC and heat working again. It's a common fault on the 4th Gens (I've repaired four of them) but lucky for you, we have developed an effective "field-fix".
See link for details on how to DIY:
http://toyotacelicaonline.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1516&highlight=

tekstep01
07-12-2008, 10:17 PM
okay.... the blower motor might need replaced i think... or like you said its just a bad connection.....thanks for the link rick..

tekstep01
07-12-2008, 10:28 PM
alright heres the prob... not switching from hot to cold, but the panel will not light up unless, i touch the wires pushing them in to the plug, thats relevant to your post... but when i select a fan speed, nothing happens, the light comes on, theres a clunk when i switch from hot to cold, but no blower..... im thinking theres a loose connection on the fan end or the blower is its self is shot... im gonna re-solder the board, check it, and if it doesnt work im gonna test the blower.
sound right? also the a/c light wont light up at all... checked the fuses..not there.. lol guess im gonna get to soldering....

Rick89GTS
07-12-2008, 10:36 PM
My AC light was dead too until I did the soldering fix. Do you get heat? The heater fix applies if you get cold only, or intermittent heat. Reason is that it defaults to cold if there are cracks. If you don't have those symptoms, it could be something else or what you said.

tekstep01
07-12-2008, 11:01 PM
heat blows out when im on the freeway, No Blower at all.... the heats being blown by the air outside.... been this way since i first bought the car.

Rick89GTS
07-13-2008, 04:47 AM
in that case, yes, double-check the blower motor first before you do all the resoldering.