PDA

View Full Version : fixing front cs bumper

manu
07-07-2008, 10:58 AM
I got into an accident a couple of weeks ago, and right now everything else is fixed, only the front bumper has this dent in it. It's an st185cs bumper, and the middle part is dented inwards.

Is there any way to pop it back out? (nothing's broken, just bent). Does heating it up and pushing it back work?
I've fixed everything else myself so I want to complete it.
Sorry I don't have a picture, I'll take one tomorrow when it's not so dark.

PhillyDRFT
07-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Yup you're exactly right.

You can use a heat gun with a fan tip so you don't melt a hole in the bumper. Heat about 2 inches over one every side of the area you want to re-mold.

A balled up t-shirt will help to make the contours and so you don't burn your hands. If you can reach everything with the heat gun from the back it's best to heat it and push from behind to re-form so you don't change the surface on the front.

Good luck!

manu
07-09-2008, 02:01 PM
How hot does it have to be? I heated it up yesterday till the paint started rising (i'm gonna repaint it later anyway) but the plastic was still stiff. But I'm scared if I go too far it's start melting.

extremeskillz
07-09-2008, 02:05 PM
You want to get the plastic tacky soft to allow you to move it back the way it was new. But like Philly said be cautious or you going to melt the plastic beyond what you want and this will lead you to start using Bondo to do the repair. Once you got it formed to your liking let cool and see results. Hope it helps!