PDA

View Full Version : WD40 + Alternator = ?

bobbyboy987
07-05-2008, 07:52 PM
the alternator brushes stick from time to time
i was told i could spray some wd40 into the alternator and that could fix the problem

is this advisable?

Thanks

alegar001
07-06-2008, 07:05 AM
wouldn't recommend it. More then like the wd will cause dust from the brushes and other stuff to stick to the inside of the alternator. The dust could posably cause it to short out in time. Be better off just to put new brushes in, they are relatively cheap.

Galcobar
07-06-2008, 08:43 AM
And conveniently, there's a write-up on rebuilding alternators under the Great Tech Writeups stickied at the top of this forum.

bobbyboy987
07-06-2008, 06:33 PM
is sticky brushes common even in remanufactured alternators?
i was having problems with my old one and the new one isnt much better

alegar001
07-06-2008, 11:53 PM
How old is the altinator, did you have it rebuilt yourself, or is it a reman from an autoparts store. I had mine rebuilt and it hasent given me a minutes trouble (knock on wood). I guess it would have alot to do in who rebuilt it and the quality of the part they used. If it is giveing you trouble and it has a warrenty that maybe the most efficiant course for you to take.

bobbyboy987
07-07-2008, 02:24 AM
i bought a reman from a local shop
it has a 1 year warranty and i brought it back a few weeks ago

noticed a few things when i got the car back
here the thread about it: http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35363

alegar001
07-07-2008, 04:50 AM
If you feel that the shop you got your alt from has jipped you then go to another shop have the alt checked then have the dummy light checked as well as the dinger. personnely i doubt they would go to the extremme of tearing into your dash rather then just fixing the alt. It would have been more profitable both then and later to have fixed it. I would give them one more try be politt ( I know its hard) tell them about the light and dinger as well and if that dose not resolve the issue then you would have a problem. Recommend that they replace the whole alt this time not just try to fix it (strongly if need be).

bobbyboy987
07-07-2008, 11:39 PM
do you know how they would disable the battery light?
is there simply a fuse they can disconnect?
im thinking the dinger is just a result of them disabling the battery light

tekstep01
07-10-2008, 07:51 AM
thats a really funny situation to get into for a alternator....Do you think they are that crooked that they would disable the light? are you in LA?, cause then it would make sense! and if so were the guys armenian? watch out, i got robbed for my catalatic converter and my airbags in the civic back in the day, and i still paid 200 bucks... till i found out... then classic auto repair went under 'NEW MANAGEMENT" LOL! :ohyeah:

tekstep01
07-10-2008, 07:53 AM
oh and i found out my airbags were missing after a fender-bender... then it all made sense... funny that it took an accident to start a real claim case.