PDA

View Full Version : Silk Automotive products

brak
07-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Does anybody have any experience with products by Silk Automotive?

I need to replace my fenders, and saw their fiberglass Z3's are a good deal, but I'm curious about the fit and quality.

I guess if it came down to it, $130 isn't a big loss if they're crap, but i'd prefer to make an educated decision.

Heres the link to the product in question
Fenders by Silk Automotive (http://www.andysautosport.com/toyota/1990_1993_celica/exterior/fenders/fiberglass_fenders/silk_automotive/)

http://www.andysautosport.com/images/detailed_product/exterior/fenders/fiberglass_fenders/z3-b06.jpg

PhillyDRFT
07-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Edit: ehh sorry firefox messed up. no need for a double post!

lburner
07-03-2008, 12:00 AM
talk to Lonestag i think hes the only one thats has them

PhillyDRFT
07-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Fiberglass aftermarket parts are usually the same quality no matter what the name. Prettymuch most come from the same Chinese factorys. At best I'll say it'll be 90% fitment at worst I've seen 50% from some of them.

Erebuni, Kamanari, buddy club, bomex etc are all generics from my personal experience with friends cars.

C-West, Veilside, Wings West have all been Very good fitment, close to 99%. Their quality ofcorse is reflected in price.

Things to look out for if you go ahead with these fenders. The slope of the inner walls may be slightly off, widening the hood/fender gaps. You can drill and make slotted holes for the fender aprons, to give you room to "push" the fenders in closer to the hood. If this doesn't work and you end up with a large gap it's a pretty easy fix, You can cut and lay strips of cardboard untill you close the gap (around 3-4mm is what you'll be aiming for.) Then use fiberglass gel to coat them and form to the piece.

brak
07-03-2008, 07:17 AM
Thanks, that's about what i figured.

I know fiberglass, and even steel re-pops are typically ill-fitting, but every once in a while you will find a brand who's product is spot on.

I guess i'll just keep my eyes open for some decent sheetmetal :)