PDA

View Full Version : Rear sway bar interchangable?

tuner4life
07-01-2008, 02:35 PM
The rear sway bar on my 1990 Geo Prizm finally broke yesterday. I am possibly going to the junk yard this week and was wondering if the one from the Celica (or any other car) may have the same general dimensions (or at least close) but might be a little stiffer. The original bar on the Geo looks as thin as a paperclip and the car always leaned like a cholo. If I have to replace it anyways, I kind of want to get a little stiffer one.

Thanks.

Ghosty
07-01-2008, 07:14 PM
If I'm not mistaken, a Geo Prizm is the same as a Toyota Corolla from the same year.

I bet you could find a beefed up aftermarket swaybar for a Corolla on teh interwebs. Either that, or try to find out the swaybar diameters in different Corolla models. I know that there are different diameters in Celicas, depending on the trim (i.e. GTS larger than ST) . Maybe they increase in the Corolla in a given year or trim.

I'm pretty sure you're going to need some new bushings to accommodate the larger diameter swaybar, too. Go with Superpro polyurethane!

And be careful when removing the bolts (you might want to go ahead and get some fresh new ones). They've been known to snap off because they get so rusty. LOTS of anti-seize and patience.

Ghosty
07-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Ok, I cross-referenced the Superpro catalog to get an idea of what you can fit in the Priz. Your car is analogous to an AE92 Corolla. The catalog you can download below, its's 27MB

http://www.superpro.eu.com/Catalogue.asp

Part # SPF0613-_ _k, Rear Sway Bar Mount to Chassis, "Measure Bar 12mm to 25mm."

And the way I see it, you can either go with the GTS (4AGE-powered) rear sway bar, which is beefier, but I don't have the exact diameter of that. You'd have to measure it to find out, order the bushing, then wait for it to land on your doorstep.

Another alternative is a Whiteline swaybar BTR31. It's an 18mm bar. But this will be more expensive than sourcing a GTS swaybar from a junkyard. You'd then order Superpro bushing SPF0613-18k and call it a day.

Something that I'm wondering though, how is this going to affect the overall feel of the car? I'd suggest that you upgrade your front suspension to compensate for the stiffer rear, but from what I'm reading your Prizm doesn't actually have any front sway bar.

tuner4life
07-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the help. the car is old and cheap so I am definitely going to get one from the junk yard, not a new one. I do not think the car has a front bar, But if it does, I will probably nab both from a gts in a local junk yard. I couldn't find any good info about the 2 and 4 door corollas being the same design underneath, so That is good to know.

See, stock would be fine for that car, but since the stock sway bar size looke like a paperclip diameter I figured I would upgrade.

Thanks Ghosty

Crasoum
07-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Wikipeia says a geo prism is the same as a Corollas except for the radio, decals, and rear stabilizer bar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo_Prizm

Slider
07-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Something that I'm wondering though, how is this going to affect the overall feel of the car? I'd suggest that you upgrade your front suspension to compensate for the stiffer rear, but from what I'm reading your Prizm doesn't actually have any front sway bar.

It's going to make it feel more neutral, stiffer rear = oversteer. Since most cars are already setup to understeer from the factory for safety reasons it should feel a little bit better.

Ryan
07-01-2008, 11:52 PM
imthinking you need to just save your money up and convert it to rwd...haha. JUST KIDDING...

tuner4life
07-02-2008, 03:11 AM
As long as the 2 door gts bar is the same shape as the 4 door that's what I'll do.

92-gt: While the thought has very briefly crossed my mind, I cant quite justify the work involved. :lolhittin LOL :laugh:

Ryan
07-02-2008, 03:15 AM
haha no shit.......

celica9303
07-02-2008, 03:16 AM
Yeah the bar from the gts will work ive seen it done. Not to change the subject but what happened to the celi? I always liked your car

Ryan
07-02-2008, 03:33 AM
i bought it back from him......lol

VikingJZ
07-02-2008, 03:39 AM
I thought you already knew that the AE92 stuff bolts up? Or is that just struts/springs and assorted other items?

tuner4life
07-02-2008, 01:19 PM
The struts and springs are pretty much bolt up. The big thing is that companies make aftermarket parts (struts, shocks, etc) for the ae92 gts, but you can never find them for the 4 door ones. I have seem people use aftermarket gts struts and shocks on a 4 door, but I couldn't find any info in sway bars.

And Celica9303: Yes 92-gt bought it back from me.

VikingJZ
07-03-2008, 10:07 PM
I like interchangable shit.

Very fun.

Ryan
07-04-2008, 01:14 AM
buy a honda or mazda then, everything is interchangeable