PDA

View Full Version : 4A-GE Head removal

Berg
07-01-2008, 03:10 AM
I tried to do a search but didnt come up with an answer. I am halfway through taking a 4A-GE apart, but I dont have the right tool to undo the head bolts. What socket is it and where can I get one?

Cheers,
Berg

Crasoum
07-01-2008, 03:24 AM
12 point 10mm any auto store worth salt should have it.

Berg
07-01-2008, 03:35 AM
Gotcha. Thanks, I've been staring at this car for three days now stripping everything useful off of it and I guess my brain shut down a little while ago. Thanks again!

Cheers,
Berg

Crasoum
07-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Ha at least you have mechanical knowledge, before I started on my Saturn and Celica the MOST I did was oil lubes, tire changes, and two brake jobs. Now I've gone full throttle and torn crap all up and down over the place.

Berg
07-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Everyone starts some where. I haven't any formal education (two years of high school mechanics doesn't count). The only way I learned anything was getting my hands dirty and tearing apart my first car (1979 Honda Civic Special X). Toyota's are much nicer to work on.....

Cheers,
Berg

andy
07-03-2008, 11:20 PM
when you put that head back on make for SURE you get new cam cap bolts and a proper torque wrench for them. otherwise you will break them. I broke 2. remove head take to machine shop to remove. There cheap from toyota. and if you dont replace them you will break one. I live and learned this for you so plz do it!

Berg
07-04-2008, 01:17 AM
Lol, no worries there. The head will eventually be sent off for machining and put back together with all new parts. Planning a port polish, oversized valves, new cams... the works (I'm just waiting on funds now). At that point there is really no point putting things back together with old fasteners. Thank you for the good advice!

Cheers,
Berg

Crasoum
07-04-2008, 03:36 AM
God that reminds me of the first head I took off, and put back on. As I read in my Chilton's it said 124ft/lb and was like "Isn't it inch pounds...... Oh well it's in Chilton's must be right"

Pop. Pop.

Helicoil became my best friend.

Berg
07-04-2008, 07:01 AM
I am notorious for snapping the heads off bolts. The first rebuild I ever did I tried to reuse the bolts holding the pressure plate to the flywheel. It was a weekday morning and I was already way behind schedule in getting the thing put back together. I was following the Hayne's manual for torque specs and SNAP! I was so mad I shouted out a few choice words and threw the torque wrench into the driveway. I gave the mailman a scare and got a scowl from the old lady across the street. I then had to go buy new bolts and a torque wrench.....

Crasoum
07-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Yea since then I've learned small bolts 120 inch pounds, big bolts 20 foot pounds, bigger bolts, more foot pounds.

Rix86
07-04-2008, 09:59 PM
when you put that head back on make for SURE you get new cam cap bolts and a proper torque wrench for them. otherwise you will break them. I broke 2. remove head take to machine shop to remove. There cheap from toyota. and if you dont replace them you will break one. I live and learned this for you so plz do it!
I've done dozens of 4ag's and never seen a stretched, let alone broken cam cap bolt.
someone did something very wrong to stretch or break on of them....

Berg
07-05-2008, 12:13 AM
This is the first 4A I've pulled apart and it will be a boosted aplication... I believe that the shop I am having the headwork done at will use all new parts...

Rix86
07-05-2008, 03:00 AM
This is the first 4A I've pulled apart and it will be a boosted aplication... I believe that the shop I am having the headwork done at will use all new parts...
If you want new parts, make sure to ask for them.
MANY places will not put new cam bolts in, "just because".
myself included.
But thinking back, I'll retract my statement of never seeing one of the cam bolts stretched, on a 4ag... I have seen ONE. from another shop doin gthe head gasket and not getting it right. (they put it on upside down) :lolhittin
Seen a shitload on the 3vze though, when other shops have gotten ahold of them.
So waht are you going with?
GZE pistons?
forged?
stock rods?
high dollar stuff?
There's a guy on hachiroku.net selling some 42/19 carillo rods for a good price.

Berg
07-05-2008, 04:20 AM
Yeah, I've been burned a couple times by shops. I've learned to get all work in writing before conmponents/money change hands. I've done the research and know what I want. Now I'm just waiting for a few paychecks....

I'm using a big port head on an AE111 4AGZE block with US GZE pistons (~8:1 CR) machined for the oil squirters. I have a non EGR intake on its way (no strick emission laws here). T-VIS is also getting removed. Stock rods should be fine for my application. Oh yeah, I'm dropping the supercharger for a turbo.....

Don't want to get into too much detail. I don't want to be all talk and no action. Once the build gets started I'll make a thread detailing everything.

Cheers,
Berg

andy
07-05-2008, 06:31 AM
i was using a 1/2 drive torque wrench and shouldeve been using a 3/8

Rix86
07-05-2008, 07:23 PM
i was using a 1/2 drive torque wrench and shouldeve been using a 3/8
oopsie...
Where did you get a 1/2 inch drive torque wrench that goes down to 9 ft-lbs?

Rix86
07-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I've been burned a couple times by shops. I've learned to get all work in writing before conmponents/money change hands. I've done the research and know what I want. Now I'm just waiting for a few paychecks....

I'm using a big port head on an AE111 4AGZE block with US GZE pistons (~8:1 CR) machined for the oil squirters. I have a non EGR intake on its way (no strick emission laws here). T-VIS is also getting removed. Stock rods should be fine for my application. Oh yeah, I'm dropping the supercharger for a turbo.....

Don't want to get into too much detail. I don't want to be all talk and no action. Once the build gets started I'll make a thread detailing everything.

Cheers,
Berg
word of advice... KEEP the EGR.
It doesn't hurt performance in any wa, and increases fuel economy when driven on teh street.
If it's a track only car... well then never mind :)

Berg
07-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Neither the exhaust or intake manifold have the holes drilled and tapped for the EGR to bolt up, and I am not going to drill the holes for them. I have removed EGRs from previous vehicle with absolutely no noticeable change in performance or economy. I've personally never liked them as they always seem to get gummed up (might be why I never noticed the difference). I also feel that the exhaust has no place in the intake (not an argument, just a personal taste thing, yes I realize that there is supposed to be an inert gas reaction causing a more consistent burn, but it can also raise combustion temperatures and I want to reduce the possibility of detonation). And I know that I am not the only one who feels that way as there are so many EGR block of plate kits out there (and the lack of them on JDM engines).

Thanks for the advice, but this will be a non EGR engine.

Cheers,
Berg

Berg
07-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Ok, my info was wrong. I just did some net searching. The EGR will not raise combustion temp. It's sole purpose is to reduce NOx gasses. Removing it will net a cleaner engine bay.

I'm still not putting one in because I'm not going to drill the holes and I'll be running an aftermarket ECU that won't be looking for it. :wiggle:

Cheers,
Berg

Galcobar
07-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Actually, the EGR lowers the combustion temperatures, which is how it prevents NOx from forming -- the reaction requires a great deal of energy, much more than is required to produce CO and CO2.

Berg
07-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Yup, I did correct myself.

It's also only used during part throttle (and possibly startup). Still, there wont be one on this engine.

Cheers,
Berg

Crasoum
07-06-2008, 09:44 AM
As a Q, it was a 10mm 12 point, right? Just double checking, you know.

Rix86
07-07-2008, 05:52 AM
As a Q, it was a 10mm 12 point, right? Just double checking, you know.
Yes.

Berg
07-07-2008, 05:18 PM
And a half in drive short socket doesnt fit between the valves. I didnt try a half inch deep, but a 3/8 short worked fine (I swear, no one sells 12pt sockets in this town!).

Cheers,
Berg

Crasoum
07-07-2008, 05:51 PM
I bought mine at O'Reily's, last one they had but it was a deep socket. Everywhere I googled Said 13mm and I knew it wasn't that for my AFE. So I used playdough and a caliper to get the right size then picked the one that fit over the caliper tips.

I figured the 4AGE was the same, but wanted to be sure so I wasn't totally clueless. Thanks.