PDA

View Full Version : Japan Racing Engines - Calgary; Anyone used them?

Rythmick
07-01-2008, 02:29 AM
Hi all! I just purchased a '90 GT-S...something that my son and I can put some time into together. When I pulled plug #4 and saw it was a mass of carbon, I knew the first task would be finding a swap motor.
There happens to be a JDM reseller here in calgary (http://www.japanracingengines.com/) that has a 3SGTE in stock for a pretty good price. Has anyone dealt with this shop and if so, what was your experience like?
Yes, I've checked out the FAQ already and there is great info there on this swap...I'm looking forward to the project and to being on this board!

Mick

Berg
07-01-2008, 03:22 AM
Hi. My experience was a negative one. I called them for a 3S-GTE Gen II with tranny. The website said that they were in stock, but I got a different story when I called. I was told that they had sold it a while ago and the website wasnt updated. They said that if I emailed them my info they would let me put a deposit on the next one to hit Vancouver. I was willing to pay upfront for it and they still said no. In the end they never called me back.

I did buy a 4A-GZE from this site:
http://www.japanmotorimport.com/index.php
I checked their site and called them. They had the motor in stock and shipped it to Calgary (they are in Montreal). I had to pick it up at a local shippers, but it wasn't a problem as I had a truck I could borrow. I got the engine with uncut harness and transmission with all accessories. I had a very good experience with them and it only took about a week from the order to the engine sitting in my garage.

Just because I had a bad experience doesnt make the company bad. Just I would choose to go somewhere else. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Berg

Simonhla
07-01-2008, 06:08 AM
Not that I have much experience in these things but I would definitely try and buy an engine from a local reseller. That way you can go up there and do a compression test and inspection yourself before you buy it. It's better than taking their word for it and having something shipped out in my opinion.

Berg
07-01-2008, 06:28 AM
I agree completely. However I was annoyed in that their site said that they had the engine and then they told me they didnt and wouldnt get back to me when I tried to give them money. I chose to take my business elsewhere. There is another importer in town called Yoko. I dealt with them many years ago and have since come to realize that I was ripped off. I paid way too much money for a naturally aspirated 3S-GE that didnt have any accessories, wiring, ecu, or even the manifolds for that matter! I haven't checked them out lately, but they may be better now.

I am also of the opinion that I would rather rebuild a used motor before putting it in one of my cars. I realize that this isn't neccessary or in many cases financially feasible, but it is nothing more than a personal prefference.

Cheers,
Berg

Rythmick
07-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys. I did have the benefit of seeing both motors on the shelf at the shop, neither had a complete harness and both looked fairly weathered, however that's not exactly an indicator of condition...http://www.japanmotorimport.com/index.php appears to have their sheet together, however by the time you throw shipping in I've almost doubled what they are asking in Calgary.
In the meantime, I'm working hard at getting #4 to fire...the previous owner advises the car was only "shaking" for a couple of weeks...

Crasoum
07-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Compression test, Wet compression test, Leak down test. That order if you can. I had this same problem on another car, turns out my exhaust valves were bent. Caused the same carbon build up.

Otherwise how do you know you need to replace the whole engine?

Berg
07-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Wow, they must have upped the shipping costs. When I got my 4A-GZE they only charged me a couple hundred dollars to ship it...

Are you planning on dropping in a 3S-GTE for sure or are you going to try and get the current motor up and running?

Cheers,
Berg

Rythmick
07-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Notwithstanding the pure seductive attraction of dumping the 2.2 and installing a turbo, I swapped injectors #3 and #4 yesterday and whaddaya know! I got me combustion! Ordered a new set of Venoms last night, looks like the 3SGTE can stay on the shelf for now...

Crasoum
07-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Good catch :)