PDA

View Full Version : Changing lights

Simonhla
06-30-2008, 02:05 AM
Ok i don't want to get flamed here but I am going to have to run the risk.

I have searched through the forums and I have also downloaded BGB (part one anyway, part two isn't working) and I have not found any idiot proof (for yes I am not very technical) guide on how to change out your lights.

I have new headlamps (H4 housing euro style), JDM clear corners and the clear bumper corners all arriving in the next few days and I am determined to change them myself. However I need some pointers. If anyone knows of a guide they can link me to that would be fantastic..........

Apologies for the novice posting.

Kastigir
06-30-2008, 02:09 AM
It's all pretty straightforward. Just a few screws here and there. One word of advice, remove the bulbs from the bumper lenses before trying to remove the housings themselves.

ssantos6981
06-30-2008, 02:18 AM
I know about the corner lights (not the bumber). There is a screw for each one, in the front of the car. Where that carbon fiber lip is, you'll see the screw. As far as the others, I haven't tried messing with those, yet...

sheep
06-30-2008, 06:10 AM
headlights: there will be 3 screws that hold on the plastic trim peice around it, 2 on the inside and 1 on the outside, it takes a little bit of fancy work to get them to come off after that but you should be able to get them off without much trouble, after that there are 4 screws that hold a metal trim peice around the headlight, remove those and the headlight will come right out

the sidemarkers(not on the bumper): just the 1 screw on the front and they should slide right out

the blinkers(on the bumper): this one took me a min to figure out myself, but here is what i did. take the screw out that is holding the light in then take a rag(if you value your paintjob) and a flat head screw driver and slowly pry the light out on the side towards the front of the car, to get the new light in you gotta push it in a little. i dont know if your new lights came with new bulbs and plastic connecters, but since my car was old like yours the old plastic peices didnt want to come apart i just ended up changing the bulbs and using the old hardware.

good luck and we expect pics when your done :D

Slider
06-30-2008, 06:16 AM
For the headlights I would remove the center carbon fiber piece also. It's held on by 3 screws from the top and 1 on each side at the corner lights, then you just yank it out it's held on by clips. This makes it easier to take out the headlight surrounds.

Simonhla
06-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks. you guys are awesome for getting back to me so quickly. So here is another total novice question.....when changing the headlights, how do I flip them up without turning them on? Am I missing something here? I am guessing I am.....this probably gives you an indication of how novice I am. Thanks.

90CelicaST
06-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Well, you can do it one of two ways. The way I would do it is by turning the lights on, so they pop up, then turn the stalk down to the one right before off. This will leave the lights up, but they will be off.
The other way is by going under the car and locating the manual knobs. They should have a rubber cover on them. Just rotate each one to raise the respective light.

dups90gt
06-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Yeah remove the carbon fiber piece that is under the light, its tough getting the housing off if you leave it on. Take pics!

Fuelish
06-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Yeah remove the carbon fiber piece that is under the light, its tough getting the housing off if you leave it on. Take pics!
Hmmmm, interesting. I didn't have any trouble removing/replacing my headlights with the cf trim still in place. Sounds like overkill (removing it), to me, but, I guess if it makes it easier, it'd be worth it. I'll keep that in mind for the future :cool:

Simonhla
06-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Ok fabulous thanks guys. When all the pieces arrive I will take before and after pics. Pretty excited. I also just sanded and polished the heat shield and the valve cover......it's not perfect by any means, no mirror finish here, but they are nice and shiny! When I'm done I'll take complete pics.

Simonhla
07-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Ok so quick update. The autopal headlights came in and i swapped those out. It was so much easier than I though it would be. I can see why some suggested removing the carbon fiber grill piece (so that you cen get easier access to the bottom screws) but it really wasn't necessary. Pics will be comign when all the lights are installed. One quick thing is that the autopal lights come with a small rubber dome that mounts on the back. I put them in and then realized I had left both of these domes out. I assume the cover the connectors. Do I need to open the housing up again and put them on, or are they not necessary.

sheep
07-02-2008, 05:31 AM
i cant remember if i had them or not, if the stocks had something like it then i would probably put them in if not then i wouldnt worry about it too much, im sure someone will chime in and tell you for sure tho

Simonhla
07-02-2008, 09:02 AM
No the stocks didn't have them. Hence why i wasn't too worried.