PDA

View Full Version : E153 Trans

WaynO
03-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Ok got a question hope you can answer for me. Been trying to wrap my brain around it all but never pulled one apart before so don't know the ins and outs if you know what I mean.

Situation: In the process of gathering parts for my engine swap and working out what I can and cant do right. For those of you that don't know already I've choosen the 3.0 V6 1MZ-FE for my swap.

Ok so I know that the E153 (Solara) will bolt right up to my engine and its all setup etc. Now if I decide to use a E153 (MR2 Turbo) I know I must pickup a shifter acutator and swap that in so its setup... with me so far, right.

NOW my question(s): Can I use a E153 (MR2 Turbo with LSD) with my setup? Does the LSD alter the internal workings of the E153 or is it a separate piece? And if doable I should really be able to simply buy one, make my changes so it works and away we go with LSD right?

Hope that makes enough sense.

Secondly... is that going to be strong enough? OR should I use a E153 (Solara) and find a aftermarket LSD (if one is available, which I've heard there is as guys are using it in there MR2's)?

Bottomline is I want to use LSD with my V6 setup, whats gunna be the best way!

Hope someone can shed some light on the subject and if you have any pics please post, thanks!

carlosfandango
03-03-2005, 08:18 PM
sorry dude, i cant help. have you tried the Mr2 boards? i know of a few guys with the same swap..

rocking swap you got going there man!

Adrian Avgerinos
03-03-2005, 11:34 PM
The e153 transaxle is essentially the same between both the MR2 and Camry. The later model ones have better synchros. Double cone, or some such.

As for swapping over the LSD, that ought to be a viable option, but honestly, I do not know. The guys over at MR2OC.com will be able to answer that for you.

Oh, and the V6 fits quite nicely IMHO:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/sbcelicagt/Celica%20V6/IM002615.jpg
;)

WaynO
03-04-2005, 10:16 AM
OK guys thanks anyway for the info I'll have to post over there and see what they reckon.

Adrian: Yeah read over your work about 6 months or so ago and was inspired so top work yourself matey! Been trying to sort out my own swap here in Australia and add a few of my own touches to the swap. Ive read way to much now its time to start doing it! lol Cheers!

Adrian Avgerinos
03-04-2005, 04:08 PM
Best of luck with the project. :bigthumbu

What car are you putting the engine into?

KAAZ makes a clutch-type LSD and I believe you might be able to source a gear type from Quaife America (http://www.quaifeamerica.com/). 94.309.160 is the part number for the V6 Solara/Camry differential which they list to be the same part as the MR2 Turbo model.

So it is my assumption that an OEM viscous LSD from an MR2 Turbo E153 ought to fit the V6 Solara model as well.

alltracman78
03-04-2005, 04:51 PM
The MR2 one should be more than strong enough.....
They've got guys running 400hp+ through them....
It should work fine in your car, just need the shifter mods.
The LSD is an internal part of the transmission. It's the differential.

WaynO
03-05-2005, 12:29 AM
Adrian: Cheers matey, I'll look into that also. Engines going into a 93 ST184 (the one in my sig) from a 5S-FE.

alltracman: Thanks that helps heaps matey!