PDA

View Full Version : ARGH, damn this car

20v Blacktop ST
06-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Put in my last valve adjustment shim today, fired it up and took it around the block. Unfortunatley, I couldn't rev over 2000 without the engine knocking. Now the head was completely rebuilt, and all of my gaps are correct, but for some reason when I rev the engine i can hear the knock coming from the combustion chamber area.

So I guess my question is, if the valve isn't seating properly and i'm misfiring due to running rich could that cause the noise. I'm completely baffled, cause when it originally started knocking back in december, everyone that I spoke with agreed that the noise was coming from the head, but now that the head is on, torqued to spec and all that good stuff, I still have the noise. The only difference between then and now is that I can hear that its coming from the 2nd cylinder comb chamber, when before it sounded like the 3rd and forth cylinders.

The MAP sensor is hooked up properly and I'm about to clean out the idle speed control valve, and clean the throttle bodies with carb cleaner to see if that helps at all with the running rich.

Hey Trance, if you see this you think that theres anyway you could come check it out this week and give me some insight on the situation.

Thanks

beingblueeyes
06-28-2008, 07:51 PM
have you done a cylinder leakdown test yet? are you useing the same injector as befor? have you hooked up a injector noid light to see if the injector is pulseing? or checked to make sure the injectors arent leeking or stuck open?

20v Blacktop ST
06-29-2008, 02:25 AM
I took off the airbox and throttle bodies and found a vacuum sensor that got knocked loose, so now it's idling perfectly. Unfortunately the knock is still coming from the exhaust side of the 2nd cylinder. I'm thinking I need to get my valves readjusted, due to it being freshly rebuilt.

KoreanJoey
06-29-2008, 04:55 AM
Did a little piece of old gasket fall in? It really doesn't take much for it to start making noise.

Trance4c
06-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Yo.. ya.. I'm reading. Shoot me a pm, let me know what part of town your own and I'll see if I can't swing by on a late evening after work.

Exactly what is knocking? Are you sure the knock is not being produced by the rod and crank? If so, then it probably doesn't have much to do with the head and valves. What leads you to believe that it would be the valve? Have you had issues with valves? Just looking for some past history so I can get a better idea of what has happened to it to bring it up to today's situation.