PDA

View Full Version : Pillar mounts for gauge.. hows it done?

BlackGT4
03-03-2005, 12:35 PM
hi, i bought a boost gauge last week.
its getting fitted next wednesday.. i am wondering how to fit it.
i think it would look best if it was pillar mounted. but how do i go about doing this? where can i buy the pillar mount, how much does it cost? how do i modify it to fit our car?

ok thats enuff questions for tonite.
thanks for any help.

Aust162
03-03-2005, 12:44 PM
you can buy a universal pillar mounting pod from autobarn. keyroo and tooch have done this with good results. PM them. not sure on price, but fitting a boost gauge is probably the easiest gauge to fit. just tee into the the boost/vacc line (i tapped into the hose coming off the intake manifold going to the (tps)map sensor. then you just wire up the illumination wire and your done.

Keyroo
03-03-2005, 09:27 PM
yeah man it's pretty piss easy, u ok on actually hooking up the guage it'sellf?

i'll do a real quick write up, i just woke up, gotta go to work soon and i've got a hangover that could kill a small to medium sized llama,,

annnnnnnyhooo

u've got a stack of pressure pipes that run along ur fire wall in the engine bay, doesn't really matter which one u grab u used the one that goes to the little gadgibo that reads ur stock boost for the stock boost controller (little black gadget over on the right side of the bay with a twin wire loom coming out of it, just cut that pipe and put ur T peice in there, then run ur pipe into the engine bay via ur heater cable grommet (mine looks fucxked now it's got so many coming through there!

ur piller pod is a peice of piss, just cut the mount so it fits nicely to the piller, cut teh hole in it for ur guage/s put it in there and run ur boost piping around the side of hte dash to met up to it, make sure ur happy with where the pod is sitting get ur lil electric drill with a small drill bit and drill a couple of holes where u want the screws (under teh valuer i'ts got like a nylon panel u can screw too) once thats done, stick ur guage in, hook ur pressure pipe up to it, (oh yeah if ya wanna light it up tap into a light source, there is a weird plug down under that chunky fuse box on the right hand side of the firewall i foudn that u can tap into (make sure u get it the right way around otherwise the dimmer works backwards on teh guage light HAHA) then just screw the bastard into place and hope it looks neat

sorry to be vuage but there isn't much to it really, when u want to put a heat guage in aswell then u've got headache :P

hope i was some sort of help, gotta go and make myself feel human now, take it easy,,

Matty

BlackGT4
03-03-2005, 09:45 PM
thanks for that keyroo. eventhough you explained it pretty well, i still dont trust myself with doing this.
I paid $80bux for the gauge at autobarn + 40 to get them to install it for me. but they are going to install it next week on wednesday. so i might be able to get my $40 back from them.
if your anywhere near melbourne would i be able to come down to ur place so you can help me with it? thats if you have time and shit..
i'm really shithouse at mechanicals.
also i bought this kit with pipes and shit to install the boostgauge.
where do i buy the pillar pods from? are they cheap?
let me know if theres any other bits i might need. thanks mate.

Keyroo
03-03-2005, 10:02 PM
yeh mate no worries, i installed romes

i'm in the dandenongs, up near puffing billy, after i recover from a 21st i'm going to tonight i'll help ya on saturday i'm pulling on my cross memebers off and finding that fucking oil leak thats been pissing me off so i'll be in the garage anyway feel free to pop over

email me i'll give ya my addy ect
keyroo@optusnet.com.au

Matty

Jaemus
03-04-2005, 07:02 AM
i wish i lived in melb so i could get keyroo to help me like that :)

Keyroo
03-04-2005, 07:45 AM
HAHA, dam place is like an import workshop anyway!

i don't even really like working on cars taht much anymore, but i do whats gotta be dnoe ot mine and i don't mind helping friends and guys in the club

tooch
03-04-2005, 10:15 AM
I had one of those universal $30 ones, they are pretty shitty, mine used to rattle like crap so eventually I changed it to a Speco metal cup, the clamp type one. Looks heaps better I reckon, takes up less space, and the universal pod never fit the pillar properly, there was a massive gap. If u want pics etc let me know k.

BlackGT4
03-04-2005, 10:30 AM
yeh pics would be cool :)

Elliott
03-04-2005, 12:05 PM
I dont know a whole lot, but i can give you some guidance for installation if you like - im in hawthorn east. Dont let my previous hack jobs or bonnet welding jobs deter you :D

Elliott

BlackGT4
03-04-2005, 12:48 PM
thanks for the friendly offer..
actually the pillar thing rattling and not fitting perfectly has put me off the idea of pillar pods a bit.
i might stick it on the dash instead, but then i'm thinking where is the pipe going to run from??
hmmmz..
i should also recieve my greddy bov this week.. since i cant even install a boost gauge, i'm definatly up for some help for installing the bov. or is it better if i get it done at a shop?
of course i'd do some favours for people who would help me. i wouldnt feel right otherwise.. whether it be shouting lunch or beer or watever..

thanks again.

Keyroo
03-05-2005, 12:08 AM
only problem with the bov to do it properly u will need it alumium welded, my welding skills aren't that crash hot and it takes like an hour to convert the welder over anyway,, just take the flange and stuff to a welder and say cna ya cut a hole there and weld this flange on, they should be able to figure that out

Classique71
03-05-2005, 03:29 AM
ive gone the " hardcore " approach to boost guage mounting - got a speco guage + a cup to suit - it comes with a small bracket that bolts to the back of it - hoses and wires are exoposed for easy additional tapping into ( electrical in particular - and i run the vac line down along the trim that runs aloong the door looks like a ) only plastic

Does the job - nothing fancy and doesnt obscure vision as much as a pillar pods in a holder

oh and looks teh hardcorez!

BlackGT4
03-05-2005, 05:12 AM
yeh classique i bought that cup thing with my gauge too.. it was how i originally planned on fitting it, but thought it may look neater with pillar pods.
anyhow.. where did you place your cup thing?

thanks.

Keyroo
03-05-2005, 06:22 AM
ya i used to have cups but wanted them a bit neater so i got a piller, i'll get hte pic of my cups, looked alright

ROME
03-07-2005, 07:32 AM
Here are the pics of the Auto Barn piller mold. As you can see there is a bit of a blind spot created.. I want to go to cups but now that this is screwed in place I don't want to have holes everywhere..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/ROME_GT4/A-Pil_Sml2.jpg

And this is them mounted..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/ROME_GT4/100_1690sml.jpg

P.S. Credit goes to Roo for the installation.

BlackGT4
03-07-2005, 09:22 AM
looks nice.

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
03-08-2005, 12:23 PM
my setup

http://ugbox.net/~lance/GT4/Modifications/boost_eboost.JPG

Classique71
03-09-2005, 01:47 AM
not the best pic i have but seeing the cars not here atm it will have to do

http://home.iprimus.com.au/utahraptor/gt4_pics/guagein.jpg

Classique71
03-09-2005, 01:49 AM
notice in the above pics - lance - 180 KMH speedo - JDM

Mine - Aus spec mongrel - 260 KM!

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
03-09-2005, 11:08 AM
yes thanks for pointing that out stu, it came with the JDM motor.

Soon to be replced with aus spec.

Keyroo
03-09-2005, 12:18 PM
good thing about hte jap spec it makes u feel like ur cars accelerating real quick hahah

Luis C
03-09-2005, 02:30 PM
notice in the above pics - lance - 180 KMH speedo - JDM

Mine - Aus spec mongrel - 260 KM!

260 KPH is the stock speedo here.... no JDM thinggy :hehe:

BlackGT4
03-10-2005, 10:44 AM
i recieved my blow off valve today.
i luv it. also i'm lucky its already got the welding done to it..
all i need is a t-piece i think. also there is also another thing on the bov where u attach another hose or something..? wat do i put here?

Keyroo
03-12-2005, 02:53 AM
thats ur vacum hose, bov wont' work properly without that, u need to attatch that with a t peice to the same pipe i was talking about for the boost guage,

Jaemus
03-12-2005, 07:24 AM
id rather have the JDM speedo - since i dont go above 180 klicks that often id rather be able to read the dial more easily

Classique71
03-12-2005, 11:04 AM
you need to get that St205 out on the track where it belongs ;)
Gt4's dont feel in their stride till about 170 KMH ;)

cant wait to see if i can crack 220 at phillip island

Jaemus
03-13-2005, 02:55 AM
dont tempt me :)