PDA

View Full Version : fabric

jokersall
06-27-2008, 03:52 AM
has anyone thought of instead of painting or fiberglassing the interior wrapping it in a fabric

PhillyDRFT
06-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Something like this holmes?

http://www.strangevehicles.com/images/content/10578.jpg

:lolhittin

dups90gt
06-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Damn! looks like a rubber room! is this from Pimp my ride? Looks expensive tho!

jokersall
06-29-2008, 06:48 AM
looks over done. not that much and about as thin as headliner

PhillyDRFT
06-29-2008, 03:18 PM
It would come down to the material you pick, Headliner thin is going to most likely leave you lacking comfort for durability. Flexibility and so forth. A big problem using generic fabric and not upholstering fabrics is that they are not treated to resist UV damage and sun bleaching.

Theres no reason it couldn't be done tastefully, the chances are just very slim. Laying a new vynal dash would look great but you will spend a lot of time with a heat gun and your can of Super77 or better to shape it to the dash perfectly.

You'll also have to go through trial and error of what types of adhesive will suit the temperatures your car will see. Being in the Philadelphia area I can say 3M super77 held up fine to our winters but didn't make it through one summer for my door panel inserts.

jokersall
06-29-2008, 06:23 PM
pealed off right? i didnt use headliner strength on my cop car. looked great till it got hot.

i thought suede or felt but too delicate.

brigidrose
07-19-2008, 03:22 AM
felt is a horrible idea as it will just rip, but many types of normal fabric will work fine if used propperly. one of the best ways to apply fabric is to find someone who knows how to sew, and have custom seaming done. this can be done and looks amazing. i've redone bits and pieces of my gt-s and i'm loving the effect. try using piping too, it adds that much more of a significant detail. also, i made a new shift boot and center console lid cover in black leather, used red stitching and it's hotttttt! the important thing with fabric is to make small details not large ones. small looks more expensive and big just looks tacky...