PDA

View Full Version : When should I start to worry? Engine running hot?

StormyBklyn
06-23-2008, 02:14 PM
I noticed that the engine felt like it was running a little hot this morning. Temp gauge seemed fine, but when I popped the hood, it felt a little hot. Checked the coolant, and the very bottom of the tube was wet, so I think I need fluid, but should I be concerned? I thought I saw some white smoke this morning, but it could have been from somewhere/someone else. The other day I also thought I could smell radiator fluid burning, but again, I don't know if it was from me or not. Temp gauge never rises above mid level, so I don't know.
When the engine cools off Im going to pop the radiator cap and see if theres anything in there, and pray that I don't see milkshake. Keep your fingers crossed that Im just being paranoid! BTW, this is on the GT, not the All Trac.

StormyBklyn
06-23-2008, 02:19 PM
PS, I know I havent been on lately, got a lot going on, hopefully things will settle down now. The last thing I need is a BHG on the 'Vert! I really, really REALLY don't need a problem now... six year relationship coming to an end, gotta move because my lease is up, blah... crap!

StormyBklyn
06-23-2008, 03:48 PM
pics of the radiator fluid. Looks like it has a brownish tint.... Am I in trouble????
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/3/1/9/IMAGE_001.jpg
http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/3/1/9/IMAGE_002.jpg

StormyBklyn
06-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Did a google image search for coolant and bhg, def does not look like that! Whew! Think Im going to have the rad fluid drained, since it is discolored, maybe that will help, the fluid is at least a year old, if not older.

Crasoum
06-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Go to auto zone, get a hydrocarbon radiator test kit, they loan them out, and use the dye in your radiator fluid. You likely have oil (MAYBE rust, unlikely) leaking into your radiator, the fluid should only look green, yellow, or orange.

They also sell test strips at auto parts stores that test for hydrocarbons.

T-spoon
06-23-2008, 04:49 PM
the fluid should only look green, yellow, or orange

Or red, like it came from the factory.. but if not, green. Please don't put Dexcool or whatever that GM crap is in it.

Sounds like you may have a leak somewhere, if you're losing coolant. If it's bubbling and coming out of the reservoir I'd expect the temps to be going up a bit.

StormyBklyn
06-23-2008, 04:58 PM
So my radiator fluid should def NOT look like that, right? And hydrocarbons (oil) in the fluid is a clear indication of a blown head gasket, no?

StormyBklyn
06-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Oh, and does anyone have the name of the test strips? I called Strauss, Auto Zone and Pep Boys, nobody has them.
Thanks

T-spoon
06-23-2008, 05:12 PM
I don't see anything to be really concerned about but the pictures aren't perfectly clear. Depending on how much water is mixed with the coolant the green stuff can get pretty pale, and the shade will be effected by the color of the inside of the radiator. If the tester says you have combustion gas in your coolant though, that could be headgasket or crack in block/head. Another useful thing to do is use a thermal sensor to compare temps on the radiator in various places when you think it's hotter than normal and when you think it's normal and see if there's really temperature variation and if it's too hot. There may be no issue at all, though still not clear if you are saying you are losing coolant or not, and if so if you know from where.

T-spoon
06-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Oh, and does anyone have the name of the test strips? I called Strauss, Auto Zone and Pep Boys, nobody has them.
Thanks

Strips? Just get a block tester, it's a big tube with a rubber fitting at the bottom to snug down in your radiator neck. You put a chemical inside it and use a bulb to pump air off the top of the radiator tank. If there's combustion gas in it it will change the color of the chemical in the tester.

StormyBklyn
06-23-2008, 05:16 PM
I don't see anything to be really concerned about but the pictures aren't perfectly clear. Depending on how much water is mixed with the coolant the green stuff can get pretty pale, and the shade will be effected by the color of the inside of the radiator. If the tester says you have combustion gas in your coolant though, that could be headgasket or crack in block/head. Another useful thing to do is use a thermal sensor to compare temps on the radiator in various places when you think it's hotter than normal and when you think it's normal and see if there's really temperature variation and if it's too hot. There may be no issue at all, though still not clear if you are saying you are losing coolant or not, and if so if you know from where.

Sorry, no, I'm not losing coolant, never anything under the car, no stains or anything.
Stupid me, Im usually more articulate and on the ball, but with everything that's going on, things have been slipping my mind, so I want to apologize in advance.

Crasoum
06-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Yea I was a little off, it's actually just a PH test, if your engine's alkalinity is low it's because the CO2 in the exhaust neutralized it. Cooltrak and Acustrip are two names.