PDA

View Full Version : corroded aluminum

Blaze
03-03-2005, 01:14 AM
On my wheels on my eclipse, all around the edge is aluminum. well there are sections that have corrosion built up on them, i hear the only way to fix that is to sand it and clear coat it, or paint over it. Its not part of the rim, its like a build up on the rim. should I try grinding it down? is there any chemical, or cleaning products i can use?

Galcobar
03-03-2005, 07:05 AM
Aluminum doesn't exactly corrode -- that's more along the lines of what happens when iron oxidizes. Iron oxide -- rust -- penetrates the metal and damages it. Aluminum oxide doesn't corrode the metal, because it doesn't penetrate. Actually, because aluminum oxide is harder and less reactive than the bare aluminum, it seals the metal, which is why untreated aluminum siding develops that gray patina but doesn't fall apart and why many sandpapers are made from aluminum oxide.

Assuming the edges of your wheels are polished aluminum like so many others, what you need is polish. It removes the oxidation and restores the luster, without wearing down the metal. Polished wheels, precisely because they're unprotected, require a little more regular maintenance to maintain their distinctive appearance. Something like Meguiar's all metal polysh (not a typo) should work. Because you've let it actually develop aluminum oxide, it's going to take some elbow grease. In future, polish it every few weeks and your wheels will stay looking good.

carlosfandango
03-03-2005, 08:21 PM
unless they are clear coated and the clear coat is chiped away/delaminated, in which case its as you first thought. if theyre polished, get the elbow working - NO GRINDING, aluminum dont like being ground.

Schmleff
03-06-2005, 04:09 AM
There is a compound called Nuvite that is touted as being the best in the aircraft world. I have know a few people with polised airplanes and they love it.

http://www.nuvitechemical.com/

carlosfandango
03-08-2005, 01:27 AM
that looks like good stuff!