PDA

View Full Version : More clueless questions.

Crasoum
06-19-2008, 09:52 AM
So I've been scouring the web still for info on engines, and like a noob I disregarded a lot of information provided by other more knowledgeable people on the basis of "That'll be too hard." So I've been looking for replacements for a 4AFE, and have been told any a series engine would do. So now I ask a few general questions.

In the Texas area (75703), if anyone is privy to the information, what A-series engines (with fuel injection) are going to be most popular to find? (From my searches it seems to be the 2nd gen 4AFE) My budget is limited but I can stretch it depending on what I do for extra Hamiltons.

Which engine would have the best gas mileage (From what I've come across the 4afe has that....)?

And the last and important one, how -hard- is it to re-wire a wiring harness from generation to generation (Like say first gen 4AFE to 2nd gen, or 1st gen 4AFE to 7AFE), I'm not worried about the length of time per-say, just how difficult it is. I have a lot of experience with electronics, and have also wired up my house from scratch. I also have a -lot- of time at work, were I can work relatively unmolested.

Also a ball-park figure for time it'd take to rewire things needed for hops from one engine to the next would be helpful.

Crasoum
06-21-2008, 08:34 AM
Another question, is the ECU from automatic to manual the same in Geo Prisms, Celicas, ect with the 4AFE/7AFE, or will the ECU's be different for automatic and manual transmissions? From what I've read they are the same, just with different parts numbers, just want to verify that is correct.

Kastigir
06-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Auto and manual ECUs are different, hence the different part numbers.

Shadowlife25
06-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Just replace it with another 4AFE from a 90-91. No re-wiring needed ;)

I probably don't fully understand what you're asking though. It seems like you're curious as to which will provide better mileage, correct? The engine your car came with should easily give you above 30mpg in stock trim, if not more. All Toyota engines with an ECU will be fuel injected. You can not use an automatic transmission ECU in a manual or vice versa (to my knowledge). If you simply replace the stock engine with another stock engine (same year...) it should take you about 4 hours, no rewiring needed, no real downtime to speak of. Cost will probably be in the $500-$600 range for the complete engine from a reputable engine seller in your area. Make sure you replace the clutch when you do this and check/replace your motor mounts as well.