PDA

View Full Version : Illinois emissions standards...???

Simonhla
06-16-2008, 07:44 AM
I am moving to Illinois in about three months.....Chicago (yey!) and I am wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on the emissions standards there.
I am currently living in California which we all know is a total bitch (CARB!) and i am wondering if i can remove my clunky header w/built in Cat and fit a Camry one or an after market one. Any feedback from those in the know would be appreciated.

Slider
06-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Non-OBDII cars are exempt from emissions testing, so if the car is a 95 or older then no emissions testing.

Cavanagh
06-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Non-OBDII cars are exempt from emissions testing, so if the car is a 95 or older then no emissions testing.
Is that only in the Chi Area? Because my parents have a 97 LeSabre and a 2000 Durango and we never get emission tested. I have actually never heard of any cars around here having this preformed.

Slider
06-17-2008, 02:37 AM
Yeah that's Chicago. All these areas are subject to it: http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/faq/testing.html#3

Simonhla
06-17-2008, 03:51 AM
Thanks so much......This is very helpful.

angryyoungnpoor
06-17-2008, 04:53 AM
Many rural areas like to exempt emissions. Saint Louis just recently signed away to emissions for OBD1 and lower. I guess the testing was costing too much money. It's good for us though.

Simonhla
06-17-2008, 09:03 AM
So let me ask this.....Is there anything I can do to my engine now that I am moving from California to Illinois to improve performance now that I don't have to worry about emissions? Such as remove the Cat. Is it worth me doing anything? I have a 92 GT coupe and buggger of all buggers it is an automatic.

Galcobar
06-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Removing the cat will improve your performance about as much as emptying your bladder -- assuming the cat is in good condition. If you have avoided engine conditions which could plug it up (e.g. burning significant amounts of oil), it should be in good condition. Unlike a filter, the catalytic converter does not clog in normal use.

The fourth-gen Camry's 5SFE was actually equipped with a direct-fit catalytic converter, much as the Celica was. The improvement people find is not the loss of a cat, but the lighter and more efficient tubular design.

Of the things which affect a car's performance, the emissions equipment is fairly low on the list. Proper tune-ups, lighter wheels, better tires, suspension upgrades, cleaning working parts (you mention it's an auto, when was the last time it was flushed, cleaned and refilled?), ignition upgrades, a straight-through muffler, weight reduction...

Simonhla
06-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanksfor putting things in perspective Galcobar. Upon reflection I feel a little awful suggesting getting rid of the Cat anyway given it's benefit to the environment. I may have to look into replacing it though because I cracked the head not long ago around the oil pressure switch and the header got soaked in oil.

As for the trasmission well to answer your question I just had a rebuilt new one put in so that is definitely tip top. It has 3 miles on it! The engine has also been rebuilt at the same time with a new head.

I read on here that replacing the header with a better design one such as the Camry version is not recommeneded for autos. Is that right? I know that someone put a Surewin header on their auto and the ecu did not like it at all and the car shifted at weird times.......to be frank I am still not clear on that.

ciento44
06-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Header should have no problems with ecu. :) Probably happenstance.

Simonhla
06-18-2008, 04:16 AM
Header should have no problems with ecu. :) Probably happenstance.

Thanks. I may well replace the header then but i don't want the noisy surewin one. So i'll probably try and hold out for a rare 3sge one. Any ideas where I can get a hold of one?

Galcobar
06-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Try searching car-part.com for a 1989 Celica GTS.

ciento44
06-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks. I may well replace the header then but i don't want the noisy surewin one. So i'll probably try and hold out for a rare 3sge one. Any ideas where I can get a hold of one?

They're all noisy. It just depends on what you do with the exhaust AFTER the header. The people with the noise issues are running a header with no cat or resonator after. Basically a straight pipe with a can. It'll be noisy.