PDA

View Full Version : 5SFE/Camry header... Two O2 sensors?

H8PVMNT
06-16-2008, 04:36 AM
I am getting ready to install my camry header on my '91 GT-S and I was looking at the parts today and noticed that the car has two O2 sensors. I purchaced the 1 wire GM O2 sensor to put in the header but it appears that the other O2 sensor is right in the cat. I was under the impression that they only had the one sensor... maybe this is CA emissions stuff... Is that normal? :wtf:

I wasn't planning on using the cat since I don't have to in MT and the stock one probably won't fit on the camry header, so my question ius what should I do with this other O2 sensor? Should I weld a bung in the downpipe for it? Can I just unhook it and not use it without throwing a code?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Wheel On!

CriScO
06-16-2008, 04:49 AM
Four O2 sensors is pretty much standard for any OBDII vehicle. Two before the cat, two after. Your header came from a 96 or newer Camry.

Are you using the Camry ECU? No? Then how would it throw a code on an engine control computer made for one sensor? How would you even plug it in? Take the Camry cat off and forget it.

Tommy
06-16-2008, 04:52 AM
on my header i got off of ebay it came with 2 holes for the sensor for o2 and one for the tepature i think. but on my ebay header it came with a bolt for a hole so all i did was tighten that up and bolted up the other sensor that was above the cat and its not throwing any codes at me for having the other one unpluged so you should be fine.

H8PVMNT
06-16-2008, 05:09 AM
Four O2 sensors is pretty much standard for any OBDII vehicle. Two before the cat, two after. Your header came from a 96 or newer Camry.

Are you using the Camry ECU? No? Then how would it throw a code on an engine control computer made for one sensor? How would you even plug it in? Take the Camry cat off and forget it.

No I mean the '91 Celica has two O2 sensors right now, not the camry header. There is the one in the Celica manifold on the two studs and another below it a few inches that threads into a bung like on the Camry.

H8PVMNT
06-16-2008, 05:12 AM
on my header i got off of ebay it came with 2 holes for the sensor for o2 and one for the tepature i think. but on my ebay header it came with a bolt for a hole so all i did was tighten that up and bolted up the other sensor that was above the cat and its not throwing any codes at me for having the other one unpluged so you should be fine.

I did some looking and my car has the second, lower mounted "Sub-Oxegen sensor" which is on CA only models.

So you are running with the second (lower) sensor unplugged with no issues? That would be ideal.

H8PVMNT
06-16-2008, 05:34 AM
So I looked in my haynes manual and the second sensor is called the "Sub-Oxegen Sensor (CA Only)". So I think I need it... or not?

CriScO
06-16-2008, 05:46 AM
Ah, so it's the other way around. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

You are correct, that's the sub-O2. The California ECU is different, so you will need to have them both hooked up to not throw the CEL.

H8PVMNT
06-16-2008, 05:56 AM
OK no problem. I'll just make a place for it in the downpipe. I love having a welder!

Thanks! :bigthumbu

Anybody know what size that bung is on the camry header? I need one of those to weld in...

Tommy
06-16-2008, 07:44 AM
im not running that sub sensor and my car is doing just fine. no codes or anything. look at the pictures under thread just go maybe youll see.

H8PVMNT
06-16-2008, 04:12 PM
im not running that sub sensor and my car is doing just fine. no codes or anything. look at the pictures under thread just go maybe youll see.

That's great. That would save me some time and trouble . Did you unhook it completely or did you leave it hooked up and just put it up out of the way somewhere?

Tommy
06-16-2008, 07:00 PM
just unpluged it becuase i couldn't get it off of the stock manifold.

H8PVMNT
06-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks man, that will be perfect! :bigthumbu

Hey want to come wheel at my rally cross on the 29th up here in MT. It's only like a one day ride from Nevada and I don't have any other celicas to race against. Fort Benton is having it's huge once a year party, Summer Celebration that weekend with lots of food and beer, and I'm doing the rallycross on Sunday PM in their rodeo arena.

Tommy
06-17-2008, 08:44 AM
man i would love to but im working and im at the bottom of nevada down in shit town vegas. today my check engine light came on not to sure if its for that sensor though because it flickered around on me before i put on my header. so tomorrow ill get it checked out.

H8PVMNT
06-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Keep me posted about the sensor...

Tommy
06-17-2008, 01:39 PM
dont worry i will