PDA

View Full Version : Front bumper mesh

Simonhla
06-16-2008, 02:01 AM
I have a 92 GT front bumper and was considering perhaps making some minor alterations to it and adding some mesh. Has anyone tried adding mesh to a stock grill other than on the CS bumper? And if so any pics?

I have done a few searches so far but come up empty.
Just thinking of some minor ideas to spice up the front a little and be a bit different without being ricey.

Simonhla
06-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Well i am glad this has drawn a lot of responses!

ciento44
06-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Hahaha.... i don't think anyone has tried it, to be honest.

If you're looking for a tutorial on how to do it, there's a couple posts around on how they did it on their CS bumpers.

What did you have in mind for alterations of the bumper? I've been working out some ideas for my spare 92-93 GT bumper as well, actually.

Simonhla
06-18-2008, 03:33 AM
Well at the bottom of the bumper between where the fog lights go there is an opening that is split horizontally to make a small two tier grill. I was thinking of meshing up that area just to make it a little meaner looking. Only problem is that the area is actually quite small and so low on the bumper I am not sure if it would be all that visible anyway. Do you have any thoughts?

Mine is a white GT coupe so and I have silver alloy rims (not chrome!) so I figured that some nice silver mesh would look pretty good, but again it might just look silly.

Colossus20v
06-18-2008, 03:49 AM
Im planning on doing that to mine.

Just to be different.

Simonhla
06-18-2008, 03:57 AM
Ok so i made a piss poor effort in Paint to illustrate what i was thinking about......

I think the one with the double tiered mesh (the first meshed one) actually looks pretty mean....almost alltracesque...... I'd love to see anyone do this and let me know not only how the did it but also see the results

Colossus20v
06-18-2008, 04:50 AM
check out this thread.
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24302

Partyball never posted pics of it on the car but you get the idea atleast.

Simonhla
06-18-2008, 05:14 AM
That's a good find thank you. I would have liked to have seen it on the car...so close but yet so far.....

That said judging by the mock up I made I actually wouldn't cut out the grill pieces, i'd just do a two tier system. That way If i want to I can remove it and no damage done.

Kastigir
06-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Honestly, it looks better if you cut out the two tiered grill.

Cavanagh
06-18-2008, 09:13 PM
I like the two tier mini CS bumper version.

Simonhla
06-19-2008, 12:45 AM

Well it's interesting that is for sure. I bought some silver mesh from Home Depot today and am going to do a mock up on my car in the next few days. I'll post some pics.

If it looks good then I will spring for some higher quality expansion metal. Anyone have any idea where to get it and exactly what I am looking for?

Colossus20v
06-19-2008, 03:38 AM
I call it the USDM CS/RC bumper. ;)

Simonhla
06-20-2008, 05:22 AM
Ok I know I have done a piss poor job but I have made a mock up of the two tiered grill thingy I was talking about. Sorry the pictures aren't great but it was darkish out. I'll take some better ones in better lighting. For this mock up I have used silver non rust mesh I bought at Home Depot. I folded it over about three times to give it some thickness and not leave such massive gaps. I attached it to the little black struts with silver chicken wire (oh the shame) it's very secure but I know it's also gypsy. This is really just to see if I like it. I may actually need someone to tell me where to get proper quality grilling and how best to attach it. As for the car, well it has just had a new transmission, new wheels and a rebuilt engine put in it. I also had the bodywork buffed and these pictures don't do justice to how new and shiny it looks. Next mods are to give a slight tint to the windows (just slight maybe 70% all round), jdm clear corners and clear bumper corner lights, brighter headlights and eibach pro springs/new struts for a 1" drop. But given all the work I did in the last month on what was a total beater I am done spending cash for now.

ciento44
06-20-2008, 02:19 PM
I fail to see how that is a total beater. I would have paid $800 just for that shell. Looks just like my coupe before it went to shit.

Simonhla
06-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Well I exaggerated a bit. What I was trying to say that a month ago it was looking pretty sad. Cracked engine, sad little 14 inch wheels, knackered transmission, ripped seats, smashed up rear bumper and horribly oxidized paint. Since then I have out a lot of work into it to make it look almost like new. (Hence it was once a beater....but no more!)

ciento44
06-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Well I exaggerated a bit. What I was trying to say that a month ago it was looking pretty sad. Cracked engine, sad little 14 inch wheels, knackered transmission, ripped seats, smashed up rear bumper and horribly oxidized paint. Since then I have out a lot of work into it to make it look almost like new. (Hence it was once a beater....but no more!)

Look awesome man, congratulations. :)

Looks like i need to get a CA car.

Simonhla
06-21-2008, 03:02 AM
Well the benefit of living in CA, emissions aside, is that it's pretty dry so rust isn't a problem. The white paint in the sun stands up really well over time as well. Much easier to get away with minor flaws and easier to bring out a good shine.

An update on the mesh is that I have ordered some proper diamond aluminium mesh for my custom grill as well as some trim for it and fasteners. I am going to mock up a few designs and seeif I can get it to lok really professional. Will post pics next week.

Fuelish
06-21-2008, 11:24 PM
Meh....am not a fan of mesh grill-work, on any car. Perhaps, if you can make it look totally professionally or factory installed, it might be OK, but ..... most mesh jobs I've seen on countless ricers here in TN look really half-arsed. My vote goes to leave it stock....but do what pleases you - it's your ride :cool:

dups90gt
06-22-2008, 02:00 AM
I could have photoshopped it for ya if you wanted..

Simonhla
06-22-2008, 03:49 AM
Thanks lol, might have been easier. I am going to try a really professional looking job next week when my stuff arrives just for shits and giggles. Definitely not interested in ricing the vehicle out.

Simonhla
07-02-2008, 10:27 PM
ok here is my latest effort. I have added three levels of grilling. Now there is proper automotive mesh and weather stripping round the edge. As you can see in the bottom right hand corner there is a little error. I need to trim about half a cm off to make it sit perfectly without buckling. My goal is to make the license plate up a little and flush to the bumper, to spray the grilling black and then put a small silver toyota logo right in the middle of the bottom grill section instead of on the hood. Thoughts?

I want it to look different and a little more aggressive, without making it look gypsy or ricey.

car
07-03-2008, 02:14 AM
It looks pretty nice on the bumper, but it doesn't quite look right under the hood. Nice job BTW