PDA

View Full Version : what you guys think?

celicaGT90_05
06-15-2008, 05:17 AM
Well, as man of you know a band snapped on my drivers side drive axle and caused all the grease to dump out and in turn caused a vibration to start. Well, the axle isnt really that bad right now, and the vibration usually doesnt get that bad if evident at all. A friend of mine suggested getting a new band and packing full of grease. Do you guys think this would be alright or would it be best to just replace the axle? Im going to get it fixed soon so any info would be great, thanks.

KoreanJoey
06-15-2008, 05:28 AM
If it was me I'd replace the whole axle. It's probably gotten contaminated with dirt, grime, ETC.

celicaGT90_05
06-15-2008, 05:33 AM
thast true, but I would give it a good cleaning before repacking it

91 Celica GT-S
06-15-2008, 11:14 AM
id replace it myself its much easier and less work look for places that rebuild axles and stuff i sourced one for 60 bucks. and if you got dirt in there your bearings could of got some damage probably not anything since its new but you did mention a vibration

Galcobar
06-15-2008, 11:34 AM
I just had the same thing happen on my end -- replaced an axle, little while later noticed a load of axle grease on the engine underside and discovered the band had disappeared somewhere.

However, the band that snapped was on the wide end of the tulip joint, and not the CV boot. As a result, even when the car was driven the boot stayed in place and the grease came out due to the turning of the bearing.

Pulling back the boot, there was no contamination, so we just repacked the joint and fired a band onto it. However, the vibration in your case is a bad sign. I would think that signals one of two possibilities: the bearing lost so much grease it ran dry, or significant grit got into the boot and contaminated the grease. Either way, the joint would be damaged.

If you're going to pull the axle, you might as well put a new/rebuilt one in. If you're just going to slide the boot and clean the joint while leaving the axle on the car...well, you could try it, see if the vibration continues.

celicaGT90_05
06-15-2008, 06:00 PM
yeah I wouldnt need to pull the axle to repack it because the boot is perfectly healthy, but Im just not sure if repacking it would cause the vibration to go away. As you said, the bearing is probably damaged, so thats why I was wanting another opinion. After college too, I want to work up to doin the motor swap, but I dont know how long that would be so Im not sure which would be best. I mean, a rebuilt one is only $60 as mentioned, but thats still $60 lol