PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Check Issues [Potential]

killahcheese
06-14-2008, 10:22 PM
I am going to buy a celica 00/01 GT, however, I have noticed that when shoulder checking, looking in your back window, its really small.

But it may just because i'm used to a Sedan car

Is it an issue? Does it come to a point where you don't really check anymore cause of the window limit?

91 Celica GT-S
06-15-2008, 11:26 AM
drive fast and merge slow

Galcobar
06-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Any car with a noticably sloped rear window is likely to have a thick C-pillar and a small rear side window.

It's something you adapt to, not by failing to check, but by figuring out what angle you need to turn/bend your head at to see what you need to see.

Properly, your mirrors should be aligned not to show the sides of your car, but to show what's beside your car -- and the view from the side mirrors should not significantly overlap that of your rearview mirror. The shoulder check is to look at the blindspots of your mirrors. Effectively, you should be able to see all the way around your car just by using the three mirrors and your peripheral vision.

I say this having gone from learning to drive in a Dodge Aries stationwagon with enough glass to supply a decent hydroponics operation to the Celica (with a Corolla hatchback in between).