PDA

View Full Version : Rota Circuit 8's

PhillyDRFT
06-14-2008, 09:22 PM
So since I have a bent stock rim and need 4 new tires on the del sol, I'm thinking about just buying the nice set of Rota Circuit 8.

http://www.tires23.com/images/Rota%20C8.JPG

Someone has mentioned before that Rota's are all knockoffs. So does anyone know what these are a knockoff of? If there Mugen wheels then skrew it lol Prices for those things are borderline ass rape.

Hiko
06-14-2008, 10:39 PM
A lot of rota's are knock-off's of Mugen wheels, and the circuit 8's are no exception. They are a take off of the Mugen MF8's. But Rota makes a good, strong wheel for a good price. If you don't want to spend gobs of cash on Mugens, the Rota's should serve you well.

PhillyDRFT
06-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Nice, thanks a lot for the reply. I know rota makes knockoff of volk and 5ziggen too.

I've heard mixed reviews about the quality of rota's, They are going on my daily driver so I'm not really worried about the same things I would be with something going on the 240sx.

They look nice and aren't badly priced. I just really like that the design is different than the typical 5 spoke everyone has lately.

hemlocke
06-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah, I like some of the Rota knock-offs, like the Attacks.

Slider
06-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah they're not bad for the price, those Circuit 8s are pretty light too, a lot of the Miata and Civic guys run them. They're Mugen knockoffs.

KoreanJoey
06-15-2008, 02:30 AM
Dude Rotas are pretty good bang for your buck wheels. Just don't expect from them what you'd expect from what they're based. I mean I'd totally track a set a Rota Grids but doesn't mean I'd drive around on them. They're fairly light but I wouldn't imagine they're as strong as a true forged wheel.

sooinseo
06-15-2008, 02:56 AM
enkie rims also are very cheap as i found out today can anyone tell me the 'strength' of enkie 100-150$ rims?

PhillyDRFT
06-15-2008, 05:29 AM
Dude Rotas are pretty good bang for your buck wheels. Just don't expect from them what you'd expect from what they're based. I mean I'd totally track a set a Rota Grids but doesn't mean I'd drive around on them. They're fairly light but I wouldn't imagine they're as strong as a true forged wheel.

Thats REALLY weird to read. I would imagine the wheel seeing much more abuse on the track than under daily driving conditions. Then again when it gets down to it, they are both pretty stressful on the wheels in their own respects.

From what I was saying about hearing mixed reviews is a lot of people are really opposed to Rota's because they are "cheap" knockoffs. Theres lots of threads you can find about people breaking the rims wile driving.

This is one of the few that seem somewhat legit and not some ricer who hit a pothole at 80mph and wants to bitch about crappy rims.
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/tires-wheels/39069-rota-rims-broke-into-peices-caused-me-flip.html

If I could find the real Mugen ones I would be willing to pay a little more but They want my first born etc..

KoreanJoey
06-15-2008, 05:31 AM
On normal occasions yes, but honestly if you're not hitting the zebra zones hitting a big pothole on your daily drive is usually more abusive.

Hence why, track is fine, and plus, if I dent a rim or whatever on the track it's not a huge deal. If I dent them 500 miles from home I'd be stuck.

celicaGT90_05
06-15-2008, 05:40 AM
A lot of rota's are knock-off's of Mugen wheels, and the circuit 8's are no exception. They are a take off of the Mugen MF8's. But Rota makes a good, strong wheel for a good price. If you don't want to spend gobs of cash on Mugens, the Rota's should serve you well.

a lot of top wheel brands are border line ass rape, for style knock-offs will work for me!

KoreanJoey
06-15-2008, 05:42 AM
a lot of top wheel brands are border line ass rape, for style knock-offs will work for me!

Forging is far more expensive than casting...

Also far stronger and lighter. Speed costs money.

celicaGT90_05
06-15-2008, 05:43 AM
Forging is far more expensive than casting...

Also far stronger and lighter. Speed costs money.

thats why I said for style knock offs will work for me

sooinseo
06-15-2008, 06:07 AM
Thats REALLY weird to read. I would imagine the wheel seeing much more abuse on the track than under daily driving conditions. Then again when it gets down to it, they are both pretty stressful on the wheels in their own respects.

From what I was saying about hearing mixed reviews is a lot of people are really opposed to Rota's because they are "cheap" knockoffs. Theres lots of threads you can find about people breaking the rims wile driving.

This is one of the few that seem somewhat legit and not some ricer who hit a pothole at 80mph and wants to bitch about crappy rims.
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/tires-wheels/39069-rota-rims-broke-into-peices-caused-me-flip.html

If I could find the real Mugen ones I would be willing to pay a little more but They want my first born etc..

wow. thats fucking scary dude.. more spokes = more str??? the last comment on there

celica91gts
06-15-2008, 08:42 AM
thing about rotas are that they are knock off's to mugen rims. but thing is they look exactly the same, weigh exactly the same and are cheaper. so unless you are an all honda guy.. i think rotas are the smarter purchase.

ciento44
06-16-2008, 04:07 PM
So since I have a bent stock rim and need 4 new tires on the del sol, I'm thinking about just buying the nice set of Rota Circuit 8.

http://www.tires23.com/images/Rota%20C8.JPG

Someone has mentioned before that Rota's are all knockoffs. So does anyone know what these are a knockoff of? If there Mugen wheels then skrew it lol Prices for those things are borderline ass rape.

Knockoff of Konig Heliums. :) Next question? :hehe:

Or maybe the Heliums are a knock off of knockoffs?

Slider
06-16-2008, 05:59 PM
thing about rotas are that they are knock off's to mugen rims. but thing is they look exactly the same, weigh exactly the same and are cheaper. so unless you are an all honda guy.. i think rotas are the smarter purchase.

They weigh more

ciento44
06-16-2008, 06:34 PM
I want a set of the black slipstreams with a polished silver face SO BADLY.

They look amazing.

cms-gt4
06-16-2008, 07:18 PM
They do weigh more, but they are so inexpensive they are a fair compromise. I think their nismo knock off 18x95 is 4lbs more.

They are supposed to be making some OG wheels soon, but only in 19s. I expect them to be a scaled up knock off. They will be offering larger sizes than the OGs did.

They also did some custom wheels for 5x100 subys that would work on celica widebodies. Most are in 18s, but they do have some 17s.

Here is a link to the thread.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1381545