PDA

View Full Version : do you hate your 5mm plug and coil wires? I CAN HELP!!

beingblueeyes
06-14-2008, 06:30 PM
I TAKE NO RESPONSABILTY FOR ANYONE WHO DOSE THIS MOD AND KILLS MAMES OR DISTROYS ANYTHING DO AT YOUR OWN RISK
Does your dizzy cap look like this erectile dysfunctional bastard of a cap? If so I can help :burn:
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x297/cascadedhart/DSC00860.jpg

all you need to do is go to your fav junk yard (gold mine) and find a dizzy cap off of a 4AGE with external coil (I think they all are like that but Iím not sure) and the coil wire and a set of plug wires from a 3SFE (the kind not attached to the cap) (in photo I just made my own with 8mm wire, same with coil wire)

As for new parts, all you need is a coil. I went with the super stack coil from VIP, Iíve run them on some of the turbo cars Iíve built and they work well and alls they go for is around 40$

the only things you will need to mod are the rotor button (THE PART ON THE ROTAR THAT HITS THE EXTERNAL COIL BUTTION NEED TO BE TRIMMED DOWN SO IT CAN FIT IN THE CAP)and from there its pretty straight forward install.

*One thing worth saying*
The 4age cap terminals are slightly not in the same place as the 5sfe cap so CHECK YOUR TIMMING AFTER INSTALL!!!

After installing I found it made the car idle a little smother and rev a little smother, but I donít know what it will feel like to a car without the coil getting 22 volts. If there are any questions pm me I will be happy to field them

Total spent (rounded):
coil: 40.00
used 4age cap with coil wire 3.00
used 3sfe plug wires 5.00
misc (beer and other) 6.00
TOTAL: 54.00
not haveing erectile dysfunctional 5mm wires any more: priceless
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x297/cascadedhart/DSC00858.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x297/cascadedhart/DSC00859.jpg

blue

Lonestag
06-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Neeto,
Anything that is an upgrade to our little 5s ignition systems is great on my list!

I command you to keep fabbing stuff!

***EDIT***

Vote one for sticky...

CriScO
06-15-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm curious what you looked at the wires from. All of the old versions of the 3S-FE, Celica or Camry, had the attached wires. The Rav4 was distributorless. Are you sure you don't mean a 3S-GE?

beingblueeyes
06-15-2008, 05:23 PM
yes im vary sure i didnít mean a 3sge, im sure that some of the older celicas and camrys came with wires not fixed on the cap, then again maybe its were im located (Maine) so some of them might be from Canada

CriScO
06-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Just had to make sure. I actually remembered that you've built 3S-FE's like five minutes ago, I trust your judgement. :)

I'll do some research today at work.

beingblueeyes
06-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Just had to make sure. I actually remembered that you've built 3S-FE's like five minutes ago, I trust your judgement. :)

I'll do some research today at work.

no no not five min ago more like 4 to 5 years ago (turbo 3sfe)
here some of them on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-89-Toyota-Celica-4-Cyl-3SFE-NEW-Ignition-Distributor_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33690QQihZ0 12QQitemZ220244888455QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-87-91-Toyota-Camry-4-Cyl-3SFE-Ignition-Distributor_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33690QQihZ0 09QQitemZ190229582635QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

CriScO
06-16-2008, 03:47 AM
Let's try that again. "Five minutes ago I remembered that you've built a 3S-FE." Better? :)

Now then, all Celica and Camry 3S-FE's do have the attached wires. I was half wrong on the Rav4, though. The 96-97 Rav4 did have a distributor, the same one as the rev 2 5S-FE. The 98-99 Rav4 was distributorless.

However, I made an interesting little discovery while I was researching. The 2S-E(86 Celica ST and mid-80's Camry) cap has the exact same dimensions and bolt positions as the 3S-FE distributor. The wires aren't attached, though. It looks like it will take a 8mm wire with no problem. It will still have to be modified to take an external coil, but it isn't like I haven't done that four or five times... Plus there may be some clearance issues with the water neck, as the wire leads come out the sides of the cap.

Anyway, I'll shut up now, good find on using the 4A-GE cap!

CriScO
07-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Forgot to post here...

The 96-97 Rav4 uses the same wires as the 5S. Makes sense, it is pretty much the same as the rev 2.

Found out something else interesting, though. Though the original wires were attached, some aftermarket 3S-FE caps were made with the removable wires. I remembered that I had some spare sets from when I was modding my ignitions, so I got them out to harvest the boots. I have a total of four sets of wires.

Set 1 - Sumimoto: Attached wires
Set 2 - Borg Warner: Removable wires, HEI style connector
Set 3 (in the coupe) - Borg Warner: Attached Wires
Set 4 (in the hatch) - Borg Warner: Haven't checked yet

So I have two identical sets of BW wires, both premium grade, with different wire attachments. I don't stock them in my store anymore, but I'm seriously considering hopping around to my stores in the area that do and see if I can find more.

So there could be more 3S-FE's with the detachable wires out there, but there's no way of telling what ones, and there isn't a way to tell if a new set has them until they're in your hand.

beingblueeyes
07-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Im trying to recall if I have ever seen a 3sfe cap with unattached wires that hade a external coil connector and I donít think ive seen one, have you ever come across one?

Lonestag
07-04-2008, 04:10 AM
Biggest letdown ever, I went to the junkyard all star eyed and pulled a cap and wires from a 4th gen only to discover that there is no way to get them off...

I got sun poisoning for nothing!!!
Sigh

beingblueeyes
07-04-2008, 06:31 PM
for some reason there is a lot of 3sfe in the junk yard that i go to with wires not attached to the cap, next time i go ill grad a set for you Lonestag if you wouldnít mind reimbursing me

CriScO
07-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Im trying to recall if I have ever seen a 3sfe cap with unattached wires that hade a external coil connector and I donít think ive seen one, have you ever come across one?

Just the ones I've made. :) Every 3S-FE from 87-91 had an internal coil.

CriScO
07-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Whoo-hoo!

http://www.celicatech.com/gallery/files/6/0/8/8/CoupeWires.jpg

MSD 8.5mm wires. Thanks for the inspiration, I never would have checked those spare caps if you hadn't posted this. I'm still going to see how I can mod the other caps for the day this one fries, but it looks cool for now at least. :)

Lonestag
07-08-2008, 02:13 PM
I'll drop you cost and shipping anytime for one of those beingblueeyes.

beingblueeyes
07-08-2008, 02:42 PM
i hope it works as great for you CriScO as it did for me. what do you want Lonestag? the cap w/o wires attached and the wires or just the wires?

Lonestag
07-08-2008, 02:52 PM
If you could get the cap with the detachable wires and the wires, that would be dope.

I have the non-detachable cap/wires set and i'm looking into possible custom fabbing a new combination of cap-wires (IE using stock 5S cap with 3S wires permently affixed to it) Although even if I am succesfull, I don't know how much i'd trust the set-up. (though I did drive around with a spark wire literally duck-taped together, whod guess that would work?)

Luni
07-30-2008, 08:31 AM
Just curious, what do you guys really hope to gain from this except having spent some money? Surely you arent thinking youre gaining horsepower or even powerband shift by doing this do you?

Some 3SGTE wires are tiny little 5mm ones, and they handle 300hp like its nothing.

CriScO
07-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Just curious, what do you guys really hope to gain from this except having spent some money? Surely you arent thinking youre gaining horsepower or even powerband shift by doing this do you?

Some 3SGTE wires are tiny little 5mm ones, and they handle 300hp like its nothing.
Yeah, there's no real benefit to anything I've done to my ignition, I mostly just wanted to see if I could. :)

The only people around here that would get any real use out of it is the 20v 4A-GE guys. My motors would explode well before any RPM range that requires more power than stock... :hehe:

Luni
07-30-2008, 09:38 PM
I dont even think those guys would gain much from it either.

Im not bashing, I just wanted it to be more clear to n00bs who think they MIGHT get HP or something out of this.

Colossus20v
07-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Us 20valvers are fine. We use 3sgte and Tacoma V6 ignition parts.

Not sure about wires, but I havnt had any problems getting parts.

beingblueeyes
07-31-2008, 01:42 AM
I dont even think those guys would gain much from it either.

Im not bashing, I just wanted it to be more clear to n00bs who think they MIGHT get HP or something out of this.

your 100% correct no hp gain just much more shielding over stock witch helps cut down on arcing in damp weather=better drivability

when i firth hade the idea i brushed agenst one of the wires when the car was running and it was a good wire (no shock) but i still could feel the pulses from the coil and that kinda of freaked me out