PDA

View Full Version : Scam?

ST185
06-13-2008, 09:38 AM
So today my mom showed me some brochure about some kind of pill that you put in your gas tank that is supposed to improve gas mileage, higher your octane rating, and lower your emissions. I pretty much think that this is just a bunch a BS, how is just one little pill going to all of the sudden improve all of this and not F anything up.

celicaGT90_05
06-13-2008, 10:23 AM
well, if its going to increase your octane its not going to lower your emissions. As for improved gas mileage, the reason being would be that its suppose to clean out carbon deposites in your motor for improved combustion efficiency, and that would also lower your emissions. As for the octane part, thats crap and you dont want it anyway. I dont use pills to clean my motor though, I use seafoam, its the only stuff I actually trust

Conrad_Turbo
06-13-2008, 03:39 PM
If it's too good to be true...then it is.

mspired13
06-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Stay with the tried and true. Companies that had been around for a long time. Internal combustion engines usually run around 30-35% efficent only. A little "pill" or chemicals probably won't change too much.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
06-13-2008, 05:12 PM
If it's too good to be true...then it is.

+1

Dont you think that if the chemicals in the pill that break that down in your gas actually worked and improved gas mileage, major manufacturers would get a hold of them and start either endorsing them or try and get those chemicals into their gas tanks somehow or something or other?....

VikingJZ
06-14-2008, 01:52 AM
Tell your mom to keep her foot out of it.

caneman
06-14-2008, 02:07 AM
The companies that pull off these scams rely on human nature: the fools who buy their product won't admit later that it had no effect on their car's performance. If they did, it would mean that they were admitting how much of a fool they were. Sooo - "Yeah, my car runs MUCH better now! Really!"

3SmeCaptain
06-14-2008, 04:20 AM
S-E-A-F-O-A-M!

it rules!

iwamaryu
06-14-2008, 07:31 AM
thoese tablets are more targeted to the gas economy market, i doubt it could raise octance levels. yeah i wouldn't trust brocures on that stuff coming in the mail. better to go liquid then tablet, cause the tablet will hit the bottom of thr tank before it desolves and leaves an uneven mixture. if it's not sold at your major autoshop (i donno what u have over there canadian tyre, home depo, etc) then it's not from a reputable company thing about it.

tekstep01
06-15-2008, 12:30 PM
i agree, its just bs... its human nature to solve "problems" with pills.. so they figure, ah if you get crappy gas milage they can sell you a pill to fix it... what a load...