PDA

View Full Version : 90 2.2 GTS engine problem

IslandGTS
06-13-2008, 02:33 AM
Thanks for your input in advance. My Celica is not running well sometimes not at all. The engine will crank but only start sometimes mostly after sitting. When it starts it is fine for only a couple minutes then it begines to miss and bog down with increased rpm then back to idle it will stumble and quit. First i thought it was vacume but i cannot find any leakage. Spark next the coil, cap,rotorand distributer have been replaced Tested for code none continual blinking of the engine light. The coil wire and spark plug wires were resistance tested.I am going to the fuel next. This problem is making blood shoot out of my eyes so if anyone has any imput at all it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

IslandGTS
06-14-2008, 03:17 AM
Anyone ?

Galcobar
06-14-2008, 10:17 PM
To clarify on the starting issue: are you trying to say that if the engine has sat and cooled, it is more likely to start? Versus if you try to start the engine while it is hot you can hear the starter crank but the engine does not turn over?

Those couple of minutes: are they from starting the engine cold, or restarting it warm?

Will it stay running if you give it gas?

Does it stumble on acceleration?

Does it miss if you are at speed but cruising/holding a steady speed?

IslandGTS
06-15-2008, 08:19 PM
thank you Yes after the engine has cooled it is more likely to start. The starter will turn the engine always
The couple minutes are from a cold start after the engine warms and it dies it will not start until the engine sits
The engine will stay running while controling the accelerator but you have to constantly work the flow if you try to increase the speed from idle quickly it will bog
I cant drive the car the way it is but yes if Ihold it at an increased rpm it will miss

Crasoum
06-15-2008, 09:16 PM
I had this same problem with another car, have you checked the spark plugs for fouling? Have you checked them for moisture?

For my car it ended up being a cracked head/engine, hopefully this is not that.

IslandGTS
06-16-2008, 12:38 AM
Thank you also The plugs looked fine when they came out however I did install new plugs just today and I also changed the fuel filter. The car would not start this time but after cranking the car would "pop" loudly just a couple times. I dont recall the plugs being wet but I really didnt check after the no start, I will check when I can get it started again.I have been watching the oil for coolant and coolant for oil but there has been neither. I was afraid it may be a head gasket but as of now that dosnt appear to be the case. I also am starting to think the timing belt may have jumped a tooth or so. I have had the timing covers off 2 times before this problem and dont look forward to taking it down 1 more time. Thanks so much for the responses a number of great minds together will find the problem. I also kinda think it may be something simple that I somehow overlook.

IslandGTS
06-18-2008, 03:31 AM
Any other thoughts?

Galcobar
06-18-2008, 09:00 AM
You mentioned wondering if the timing belt might have jumped, which would allow the pistons to get out of sync with the ignition. Have you checked the ignition timing (after pulling the distributor you should have to)?

IslandGTS
06-19-2008, 01:40 AM
Ok I pulled the top timing cover and it did appear that the timing was not quite right so I put the #1 cylinder to TDC and aligned the cam shaft gear with the notch on the bearing cap The engine started it didnt seem to be missing like it was but it would not let me give it any gas at all it died then would not start after
Does anyone think it could be the coolant temp sensor?
I guess ill have to take it to the shop I dont know what else to check

beingblueeyes
06-19-2008, 02:00 AM
what motor is in your car? is it map of maf? if maf check for broken wires or broken air intake tube after maf sensor. if map check for broken wires or bad vac line. also check tps

IslandGTS
06-20-2008, 04:07 AM
The motor is 5SFE as I posted last I pulled top timing cover and reset timing marks and tried to start engine it started and began to sputter right away so I rechecked the timing marks and they were off a little again. I had the 5SFE oil leak that I repaired which is why I pulled the covers before. Replaced the cam,oil pump and crank seals, oil pump gasket and a new water pump while I was in there (believe it or not I bought Timing belt serp belt ps pump belt all the front motor seals and valve cover gasket fuel filter water pump and thermostat with gaskets for $10.50 on Ebay) So after the marks went wrong again I pulled the bottom cover what I found was that one of the oil pump bolts had come out and was riding between the crank gear and the bottom cover apparently causing the belt to jump. I put it all back togrther and it started. It idles nice and will run good when you baby the gas but it will still sputter if I try to accelerate quickly. Iam hopeing that is just a matter of applying a timing light to take care of the bogging
If anyone might think it is otherwise I would still appreciate any ideas of what else might cause the bogging condition
Thank again for the ideas

Naemion
03-25-2011, 12:45 AM
I know this is an old thread, but was anything ever resolved with this? I am having the exact same issues and really need mine fixed.

UtahSleeper
03-25-2011, 05:28 AM
What have you checked and what have you replaced?

Naemion
03-25-2011, 06:56 PM
timing belt, ignition coil, spark plugs and all wires going to the coil, battery, timing, fuel, compression (178-180), so pretty much everything.