PDA

View Full Version : Celica weaknesses

manu
06-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Ok, i'm a proud new owner of a Celica, and I saw a good idea on the electricals section of the Forum.

It's a fact that car companies don't put their all into a car, mostly to save costs, or to save features for other models. So a car can have certain weaknesses that can be fixed by an owner to make it the car it should have been.

So I'm thinking, it'll be a big help and a good reference to everyone, especially us noobs, if everyone listed down some of the Celica's weaknesses that they've discovered and what should be done to fix it. Or talk about what features on the higher end models (all-trac etc) can be made to fit the lower end ones.

aballz
06-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Weight - especially the 1992 GTS

extremeskillz
06-10-2008, 06:44 PM
^Unless you drag racing weight isn't a weakness. It could help if they were lighter but i don't have a reason for my car to be lighter. It performs well.

ciento44
06-10-2008, 06:59 PM
^Unless you drag racing weight isn't a weakness. It could help if they were lighter but i don't have a reason for my car to be lighter. It performs well.

The more weight, the more inertia, the higher resistance to turning, the harder on your tires, the lower gas mileage, the slower not just in drag racing but around a track.

Weight, like tires, is the enemy and must be destroyed.

extremeskillz
06-10-2008, 07:16 PM
^This is true!

ciento44
06-10-2008, 07:35 PM
^This is true!

But in terms of a cruiser/dd?

I would much rather have a fully loaded GTS. Bone stock. Probably even stock wheels. :)

extremeskillz
06-10-2008, 07:49 PM
^ass. :)

mspired13
06-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Celica is heavy because it is so well made. The materials used can withstand decades of torture. Take apart a 5gen celica and then take apart a Prelude, MX-6, Probe, Integra, etc of that same year/era...and you will began to see just how well Toyota made it. The Celica wasn't a car that Toyota skimp out on. When one bolt or fastner can do in other cars...Toyota will place two or three just to make sure. I heard of a race team that use to run Celica's and to save weight, they will take apart non crucial bolts and fastners (saving about 150lb; have to find that article somewhere). Even the eletrical is pretty good, not a lot of trouble at all. Wiring is expensive, but for the most part, they used good quality wires and gadgets. I recently had buddies of mine sat in my fully loaded GTS, and I asked them to guess what year my car was (they have newer cars). They all say 98 or 2000. Just sit in a celica and be amaze by the quailty and workmanshipment of the early 90's. Then go sit in another coupe from other brand around of that price range and you will see/feel/hear the difference. Things to replace...headgasket with a metal one. But that's about it. :)

" I LOVE WHAT YOU DO FOR ME! TOYOTA! "

For those who remeber their old slogan...

Fuelish
06-10-2008, 10:25 PM
My humble vote as to Celica "weakness" might be the power steering line (high pressure line ???) - on 5th gens, anyways ..... seems like a very common "problem" of sorts. Otherwise, has just been normal wear and tear on mine - brakes, tires, oil, etc...

PhillyDRFT
06-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Problems and Weaknesses are a very perpective oriented topic. Because as you've noticed just by the few posts this thread has it all depends on what you're trying to make it do.

It's like cooking for a diabetic almost. The proper choice of ingredients and preperation may make a bad meal for someone elses pallet but it's perfectly injestable for the person it's intended for.

Since theres not ONE right way to build a car it's really more of a brainstorm of what you would have done differently than toyota had in mind when they engineered it.

I personally would have made RWD an option. but thats fantasy land. As a daily driven car I don't think theres a single problem with the 5th gen celica. As a Race car it's prettymuch a blank slate to build as deep as your wallet and imagination go.

mspired13
06-11-2008, 12:33 AM
^ Agree. Couldn't had said it better myself! :)

Luis C
06-11-2008, 05:35 AM
Yeah, ok, but you cant object that the HP hose on the PS system is a POS.
A 5th gen without a PS leak is like a DSM without a crankwalk or tranny problem

ciento44
06-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah, ok, but you cant object that the HP hose on the PS system is a POS.
A 5th gen without a PS leak is like a DSM without a crankwalk or tranny problem

Do i win a prize, then? My car leaks NOTHING. Not a drop. :)

Luis C
06-11-2008, 09:09 PM
No... you just get to save some money on PS fluid and have a clean driveway... for now because sooner or later it will happen ;)

ciento44
06-11-2008, 09:27 PM
No... you just get to save some money on PS fluid and have a clean driveway... for now because sooner or later it will happen ;)

Hahaha.... yeppers.

The white one leaks it pretty bad, so i feel ya. The black one has at least 180k on it, so i'm surprised it hasn't leaked yet.

Oh well... power steering is coming off of it, anyways. :)

Power steering doesn't make you faster or lighter, so it has to go.

mspired13
06-12-2008, 12:24 AM
I know that I should be using Tranny fluid but it just leaks a lot!! I tried Valvoline Synthetic Power Steering Fluid and it feels a lot lighter, but it also leaks a lot. So I switched to Lucus Power Steering stop leak and it slows the leaking down...Now on my second bottle...but we will see. It doesn't make any strange noise...but it does not turn as smooth and easy as full synthetic. It is ok though...not too bad...and it does slow the leak. :)

Ads28
06-12-2008, 12:46 AM
yupp power steering leaks,(not for long all new rack n HP line soon Woot ;) ) Valve seals like to leak and cause oil consumption...umm door sensors dont work ( im on ma 3rd set in 2years time to buy new this time), Cup holders SUCK ass and dont stay in that was the first thing to take out when i got ma car..umm condensation in the tail lights

VikingJZ
06-12-2008, 04:40 AM
Hmm weaknesses:

--Slow (stock)
--Heavy
--Very leak prone.

Other than that I couldn't really complain about my old fifth gen. I miss it like crazy. The slow and heavy aren't even an issue for me anymore. I never really cared because I'm not a drag racing kind of guy. I like having a reliable nice looking car.

KoreanJoey
06-12-2008, 04:57 AM
Do i win a prize, then? My car leaks NOTHING. Not a drop. :)

You just jinxed yourself... now you'll have to rebuild the pump, replace the high pressure lines and replace your rack.

GT4SOM
06-12-2008, 05:17 AM
The 5th gens cup holders has always been its weakness. Its ok, it makes it up in the sexy design :D

burnyd
06-12-2008, 05:59 AM
It's like cooking for a diabetic almost. The proper choice of ingredients and preperation may make a bad meal for someone elses pallet but it's perfectly injestable for the person it's intended for.

lol... :laugh:

brak
06-12-2008, 07:05 AM
The stupid piece of folded plastic they used as a hinge on the arm-rest. I've yet to own a 5th gen that it was still intact...

Also the trunk hinges on the coupe, need i say more?

KoreanJoey
06-12-2008, 07:47 AM
The stupid piece of folded plastic they used as a hinge on the arm-rest. I've yet to own a 5th gen that it was still intact...

Also the trunk hinges on the coupe, need i say more?

I found if you lube up the hinges it usually takes care of that problem on the coupes. Did on mine.

polish dude
06-14-2008, 03:51 AM
my 1990 gt
weekness
engine and tranny mounts. still need to replace.
tranny- didn't take as much as i would like it to. i wish they used the 3sgte mr2 trannys for mine.
cup holder. it's a "sports" car. you should be able to pick up some chick in it that'll hold your drink for you. lol

my ALLTRAC - FLAWLESS

caneman
06-14-2008, 04:44 AM
my 1990 gt
weekness
engine and tranny mounts. still need to replace.
tranny- didn't take as much as i would like it to. i wish they used the 3sgte mr2 trannys for mine.
cup holder. it's a "sports" car. you should be able to pick up some chick in it that'll hold your drink for you. lol
my ALLTRAC - FLAWLESSIn this case, "lol" means "lot's of luck."

zmile06
06-14-2008, 05:23 AM
I think I've ran into every single problem the celica has because my celica has 27xk miles on it. THIRD ENGINE, i kid you not. The first one should of lasted this long... I had an oil leak that was dripping a quart a month maybe more, and i just got lazy and it blew I'm guessing. I could never figure out exactly where it was leaking. All good though new engine 110k ALL NEW GASKETS. Doesn't leak any oil.

Arm rest with plastic hinges are always broken...

Cup holders are a JOKE.

I got a crap load of rust on the lip of the trunk.. I need a new trunk lid, i wonder if anyone else has had this problem?

Trunk Hinges on the coupes.... In three years why did they never fix this?

In the manual window roll up both of my windows have a mounting screw missing some how... I think over time it just wore out. So the window is slightly loose from the door and rattles (alot of people have window rattle problems)

Turning radius could be better, although slap wheel on there and your good.

Other then that everything wrong with my car is mostly maintenance related... It wasn't properly maintained over the years, it shows. So now I'm piecing it together slowly.

tekstep01
06-15-2008, 05:58 AM
ah i got a few quips about my 87 gt-s..... the armrest broke the first day i had it...
the plastic around the powerlocks came off the second week (prob, already broke)
but shit i totalled it, and it still runs........bumper all hanging off.... hood missin and the lights still work, no plastic radiator all fucked and it still holds water......toyota rocks, fuck haters

manu
06-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Ok now I have a serious problem with the leaking hoses etc.. Recently the brake pedal had been getting softer, and today it went right to the floor with no resistance at all. I looked around and discovered a leak on my brake line, right behind the right wheel (JDM spec), where the connector is. Anyway the brakes still worked, but really badly. Anyway, right when I was driving to the shop to get it fixed, a guy in front of me braked really hard.

Nothing much happened to his car, but his bumper rode right above the metal bar holding mine up, and hit my radiator. So the list right now.

Bumper- totaled, Radiator- leaking, Lights-totaled, Hood- bent, fake 'CF'- broken, side lights- broken...and that's all i could see without going in deep...

oh yeah, the cup holders are pretty crappy too...

nyana107
06-19-2008, 08:05 AM
gauges are dim and needles don't light up. horrible place for cupholders. driver side sunvisor doesn't have mirror. aftermarket scene for us 5th gen guys seem to not exist. other than that. i love my 5th gen. :-)

polish dude
06-30-2008, 05:00 AM
what about seat belts.
evey once in a while they just come undone while i drive. it happenes to both of my 5th gens.
dont think it's to safe lol.

goretro77
06-30-2008, 05:12 AM
what about seat belts.
evey once in a while they just come undone while i drive. it happenes to both of my 5th gens.
dont think it's to safe lol.

I agree, if they are coming undone when you have not released them, yeah I would replace it with a new one. No need to compromise your safety.

Here's a test the mechanics at the Toyota dealership my bro used to work at does to see if the seat belt locking mechanism is good.
Take the seat belt and click it in its usual secured position. Take a plastic hammer/ or the handle side of a large screwdriver and give it a strong tap on the backside of the locking mechanism. If it pops loose, you should replace it. New ones or ones in good shape will not pop loose. I did this test for a few friends with old skool Corollas and they popped loose, time to replace.

Visually inspect your belt straps too looking for any cuts or fraying.

capncelica
07-12-2008, 03:06 AM
Weaknesses:

1. Cup Holders in a terrible spot
2. HP PS hose leaked on both my 4th and 5th gen celica .... and they're a pain to access to fix
3. Rust in the spare tire compartment

Thankfully my trunk hinges and hinges on the center console are holding up strong after almost 4 years ... woot