PDA

View Full Version : 91 ST/4A-GE 20V track car planned build

wnull
06-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Hey guys,

I'm new to the boards here (first post), but I've been trolling around for a few months now. I have a stock 91 ST (my wife's car actually) and I've decided to turn it into a dedicated track car. The car will have to be driven to/from track days so it will retain headlights, taillights, turn signals, etc but other than that, she'll be stripped down as much as possible.

At the heart of the conversion is the motor choice, and obviously the 4A-FE will have to go. From doing my research I've decided that the 4A-GE 20V will be the powerplant of choice. I think I've convinced myself that the Blacktop is the way to go, but I am still not ruling out the Silvertop.

As far as sourcing the motor, that is still up in the air. Although I will likely hear otherwise from a few of you, I don't think I really need a front clip. I won't be using A/C or power steering so I'm not worried about that stuff, and I am in no rush so taking a bit of time sourcing parts is no big deal. My guess is that as long as I get a complete motor, ECU and harness I should be good to go for the most part. The stock tranny in my ST seems rock solid so I plan on just sticking with that unless I come across a 6-spd at a bargain price.

Other than the powerplant swap, I'll need to source all the suspension and brake bits. Coilovers are a must as will be good swaybars and endlinks. A 5-lug conversion will also be in order with a brake upgrade. I will be doing all of this on a pretty tight budget so I'll be making the most of interchangeability of parts between various models. Any input there would be greatly appreciated, especially with the brakes. Anybody here done brake cooling ducts?

The car will eventually get caged as well, along with a good restraint system and seat. Anybody have any experience with what race seats fit in the 5th gen cars? Anybody have experience caging one of these things?

FYI, I have also already posted this in the general discussion section.

Thanks for listening everybody, and I'm sure I'll be learning alot from you seasoned Celicatechs!

Cheers,

Bill