PDA

View Full Version : Are Octane Boosters Worth It

Boosted91celiGTS
06-10-2008, 08:38 AM
i was at a pepboys today and saw bottles of "outlaw octane booster".i was wondering if anyone has played around with this stuff,and if it is really worth it. i might try it tho because it is only 1.98 for a small bottle.but let me know

celicaGT90_05
06-10-2008, 08:42 AM
strait answer, no. Long answer, well heres the deal about octane...octane is only the gasolines ability to resist premature combustion, higher octane for higher performing engines since theres higher compression. Use the lowest octane possible, it will combust better and more efficiently with fewer polutants. Lower octane contains more BTU's, thats why it burns better and quicker

3SmeCaptain
06-10-2008, 09:36 AM
^^^ what he said

unless you're running a turbo or higher compression then there's no need. you'd hurt your mileage on that tank of fuel if you add octane boosters. use boosters when you're on a dyno running a butt load of boost at high rpm, that's about the only use unless you are having a hay day at the track.

EDIT: judging by your display name, if you are running a turbo, should be running 93 octane for the time being or 89 if you can get away with it without having pre-ignition problems. you COULD get away with getting 87 and using a mid level octane booster but you would be spending more money that way then just getting premium fuel...

Ghosty
06-10-2008, 09:43 AM
I would reeeaaallly watch that stuff.

Sure it says it's going to boost your octane. Maybe it gives you a rough estimate of the octane level your tank will have after adding the boost. But I'd highly recommend that you not increase boost in that engine based on the octane the bottle says it has. That's a easy way to detonation, as the numbers may be sketchy at best.

The engine was designed to run on pump gasoline alone. I'd prefer to leave it that way.

wizzards581
06-10-2008, 04:10 PM
if u want to loose some hp's... go for it.

mspired13
06-10-2008, 04:17 PM
high compression and non N/A. Yes, but is it worth it? Probably not. 5SFE and 4AFE. No. No point. No need. Just like a fuel cleaner. Nothing else. Too expensive any ways. Just use high quality gasoline.

Boosted91celiGTS
06-10-2008, 06:10 PM
o okay thanks guys. i was waiting for the parts guy to find my fuel pump strainer, so while i was waitin i was lookin around and i found a case of small bottles so i was readin it, i mean i figured it would be great for boosted engines but wasnt 2 sure for N/a

Cavanagh
06-10-2008, 08:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jbcCr2ll3c

Enough Said.