PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

VenomHP
06-09-2008, 05:18 AM
Hey guys/gals Im new to the forum to get some good insider information about these vehicles. Im looking at buying a 93 celica GTS 5spd two owner vehicle, 180k on it. It was my buddies wifes vehicle and she wants something new and for 2k it sounds like a good deal. its got a new tranny and clutch around 30k ago and he says its in pretty good shape and runs perfectly but he wants another wrx. whats the pros/cons of this vehicle? what should I look for? what do yall think? Thanks in advance-Mike

CelicaHero
06-09-2008, 06:26 AM
the engine in the gt-s is a 5sfe and will go to 300,000+ miles if its taken care of. if it has been taken care of i'd say go for it especially if its got a new trany and clutch. they are great cars just look out for rust on panels under the doors, i know thats where i'm getting some. its not the fastest car but it's not slow and its good on gas. it handles well and i've never had a problem in the 2 years i've had mine. even though mine is a gt it still has the same engine. hope this helps

celicaGT90_05
06-09-2008, 06:36 AM
first of all, welcome! And the deal doesnt sound too bad, because many celicas in good shape go for around that much even with that kind of mileage. Pics would deffinately help, but hope you like the car

VenomHP
06-09-2008, 06:41 AM
Ill get some pics here in a couple days-what are some things that go wrong with these vehicles?

Simonhla
06-09-2008, 06:56 AM
Ill get some pics here in a couple days-what are some things that go wrong with these vehicles?

In a nutshell........nothing. These engines are remarkably reliable. I know a lot of 5th generation celica owners who have well over 200K or 300K miles on the same engine.

My celica was bought one year old from an old lady back in 1993 (it's a 92 GT), she did a horrible break in of the engine but despite that in the subsequent 16 years (aside from routine maintenance...tires, oil, fluids) we have probably put about $500 into the car in mechanical repairs. Talk about getting your money's worth!

At 175K miles the head cracked and the idle control valve went out (about $700 in parts and labour) so we decided to just take the opportunity to spend a couple of grand and do a total rebuild. That is how much we love this car! With a good break in I plan to put another 250K to 300K miles on this beauty.

celicaGT90_05
06-09-2008, 06:56 AM
mostly oil leaks, seems a common place, which is one I had, is the o-ring for the oil pump (not the oil pump gasket). Seems toyota has oil leaks a lot but are still good cars. My celica with the 5SFE is 224k+ and still running strong. Also seems another issue that happens with them is the shift cables get messed up and causes problems with shifting

KoreanJoey
06-09-2008, 07:04 AM
Ok, while the 5sfe can go a while it seems that on average the 5SFE goes +-200K... Like I said, average meaning 50%+

KoreanJoey
06-09-2008, 07:05 AM
mostly oil leaks, seems a common place, which is one I had, is the o-ring for the oil pump (not the oil pump gasket). Seems toyota has oil leaks a lot but are still good cars. My celica with the 5SFE is 224k+ and still running strong. Also seems another issue that happens with them is the shift cables get messed up and causes problems with shifting

Oh and check the 2nd gear synchros... very weak synchros in the S53 trans.

VenomHP
06-09-2008, 07:18 AM
this car was never raced or anything like that so I figure the engines worth a few extra miles because of that. its loaded out with leather and sunroof and stuff, everything works and its got normal wear and tear, the stiching is coming apart a little bit but other than that its in relatively good shape. what do you guys think its worth?

KoreanJoey
06-09-2008, 07:20 AM
this car was never raced or anything like that so I figure the engines worth a few extra miles because of that. its loaded out with leather and sunroof and stuff, everything works and its got normal wear and tear, the stiching is coming apart a little bit but other than that its in relatively good shape. what do you guys think its worth?

It's not a matter of them being raced... it's just when they seem to go... at least it's the trend.

90CelicaST
06-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Power steering leaks are common as well.

celicaGT90_05
06-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Actually my car hit high RPM's a lot, and as I said, its still running strong at 224k+

Mr Celica
06-10-2008, 02:08 AM
ya i beat the piss out of mine and at 145k it drives perfect. i did replace the timing belt cam seals oil seals and the water pump while i was at it. such a fun car and its really easy to work on. i'd go for it!!

celica9303
06-10-2008, 03:39 AM
Welcome to the site and I also say go for it

VikingJZ
06-10-2008, 04:09 AM
Rear main seal is a definite leak hot spot among others. Just check for oil leaks especially. Power steering pump, lines, and rack leaks are extremely common. Look for rust under the mud flap area where the antenna drain hose comes down. That's a common leak and rust spot too.

VenomHP
06-10-2008, 06:31 AM
Thanks for all the info guys, what do you guys think this is worth?

ciento44
06-10-2008, 05:36 PM
If it's REALLY clean, tight, no rust, doesn't need ANYTHING, then the $2000 is a good price, if you get it fully loaded with sunroof, leather, system 10.

If it doesn't meet that criteria, go down from there.

Fuelish
06-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Power steering leaks are common as well.Ditto that ..... my only complaint on my 175,xxx + mile '92 GT.