PDA

View Full Version : oil filter problem. call me a noob -.-

sooinseo
06-09-2008, 02:53 AM
so.. i just bought my 1991 st 3 days ago for 500 dollars 145k miles salvage title good condition engine tranny good body pretty shiityy

so.. i was tryna change the oil which was a success but when i was tryng to change the filter i couldnt.. im not strong enough i geuss.. haha but i know this is a common problem because same thing happends to my brothers car...

but is there a way to get it off?? or am i putting it in wrong? this is my first car... i kept the same filter on... is that Okayy??/ please reply new member =]

burnyd
06-09-2008, 03:06 AM
just go to advance and get the oil filter cap that connects to a socket wrench it will work perfect... just dont heman that filter on for the next guy...

mikeboot
06-09-2008, 03:06 AM
you can buy a filter cup that you caen stick on a 3/8ths ratchet with an extension. or a filter wrench.

new oil without changing the filter isnt suggested but i guess its prob better than what you had previous.

sooinseo
06-09-2008, 03:07 AM
just go to advance and get the oil filter cap that connects to a socket wrench it will work perfect... just dont heman that filter on for the next guy...

Eyyyy?? care to .. heman???

T-spoon
06-09-2008, 03:57 AM

He means when you put the new filter on, just wet the seal with oil and screw it on and tighten it by hand. The reason you are having so much trouble is someone put it on there as tight as they could, probably with an oil filter wrench which is the lazy wrong way to do it.

sooinseo
06-09-2008, 04:22 AM
ohh okie doke. thanks dude. any one have a price quote on that filter screw thing?

sooinseo
06-09-2008, 04:22 AM
oh and can i change fiter tomm or something.. or would i need to do it when i change oil??

Mr Celica
06-09-2008, 04:25 AM
i'd do it when you change the oil. theres no sense putting clean oil through a dirty filter.

oil filter socket shouldn't break the bank, pretty cheap and common. make sure its the right size, though. no use getting one too big or too small.

Audi90Quattro
06-09-2008, 04:27 AM
Like T-Spoon said make sure you put a thin-film of oil on the new filter's gasket. This helps ensure its easier to take off next time. They also sell a type of filter wrench with jawed teeth on the end. Got mine off a tool truck and they have plenty of leverage. I think I saw a pair at Advance Auto the other day similar to what I have. If all else fails you could always stick a long screw driver through the filter and try to use that to spin it off.

sooinseo
06-09-2008, 04:27 AM
i under stand it wont break the bank. but ... like more than 10 dolalrs? 20? if its more than like 25 then i wouldnt get it. ill let some guy change my gear who has the thing u know?

Slider
06-09-2008, 05:24 AM
Hammer a screwdriver through the side of the filter and turn it.

Tommy
06-09-2008, 05:34 AM
or you could use a pair of channel locks thats what i use if i have a problem with my filter. buy a toyota filter they come prelubed and its better than the filters at the stores they have way better filtration.

sooinseo
06-09-2008, 05:52 AM
channel locks?
im real car-dumb.. first car =]

Crasoum
06-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Channel lock pliers.
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tools&field-keywords=channel%20locks&page=1

mikeboot
06-09-2008, 01:39 PM
whatever a filter cup costs its worth the investment, but im sure it'll be < $15

david in germany
06-09-2008, 02:07 PM
I have had to use a screw driver before also.. It is the quick way to make a hard filter do the right thing. Like mentioned before the filter should only be hand tight when installing the new one.
David

burnyd
06-09-2008, 05:35 PM

this guy..

http://www.geocities.com/persephonyfalling/heman.jpg

91GTvert
06-11-2008, 04:50 AM
I don't honestly know where to buy one, but my tool for stubborn oil filters is an old pair of vice grips that have an adjustable side on them (I need photos) so you can make them lock together all the way out to about 4". Those always do the trick.

KoreanJoey
06-11-2008, 08:04 AM
just wet the seal with oil and screw it on

Or you can buy a Toyota filter... they're pre-lubed.

And I'd recommend a filter wrench that spring loaded/self-adjusting I use one similar to this:
http://www.toolsusa.com/asp/item_detail.asp?T1=PBE%209MS%20LIS63600&trackcode=GoogleBase&trackcode=YahooShopping&WT.srch=1

Actually it's the same thing just has "MAC TOOLS" scribed on it as far as I can tell from their picture.

You put it onto a 3/8th ratchet and the effect of tightening "ON" it adjusts itself open and switch the ratchet to "OFF" and it'll tighten onto and loosen the oil filter.