PDA

View Full Version : Transmission fluid

black94t
06-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Just a quick Q here. What transmission fluids are you guys running for an S53/S54 tranny (5SFE motor)? Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks!

wizzards581
06-10-2008, 04:12 PM
sae 75w-90 gear oil. use wat the dealer use.

aballz
06-10-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm planning on using Royal Purple, the next time I change it out.

ssantos6981
06-13-2008, 06:21 AM
I don't think the tranny fluid in my car has ever been changed. should I stick with the motto "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? or should I get down to it and give it the royal treatment? 90 st mt.

Slider
06-13-2008, 07:02 AM
RECOMMENDED FLUID
All transmission/transaxles except S54 use API GL-4 or GL-5,
SAE 75W-90 or 80W-90 gear oil. The S54 transmission uses Dexron-II
ATF.

Straight out of the Toyota Service Manual

I think in the earlier 5th gens the factory manual that comes with the car stated ATF but then they changed to the gear oil somewhere in 92 if I remember correctly I think there was a thread about it if you search.

I don't think the tranny fluid in my car has ever been changed. should I stick with the motto "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? or should I get down to it and give it the royal treatment? 90 st mt.

Well it certainly wouldn't hurt, it doesn't take long I say go for it, especially if it hasn't been changed in a while.

KoreanJoey
06-13-2008, 08:57 AM
75-90 for better protection or ATF for easier shifting...

You're call in my mind, but we'll put 75-90 at the dealership unless it says different.

black94t
06-13-2008, 01:16 PM
So, what you're saying is I should put automatic transmission fluid (ATF) in a manual transmission? Can I use the same transmission fluid for power steering?

This transmission has 210k miles. Just wondering if synthetic is mandatory due to high mileage. Also, is there a certain recommended brand for 75 and 80 weights you mentioned? With my MR2, I'm pesky about any fluid I run. It's MT-90 all the way (but that stuff is NOT cheap). Now, with the celica, I'm not as.....oh shall I say, OCD? lol

Thanks.

black94t
06-13-2008, 01:40 PM
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=1695

^ How about that for Dexron II?

yankee7568
06-13-2008, 01:56 PM
I would put 75- 90 cause I would stick with what toyota says! Thats just me tho.

ciento44
06-13-2008, 02:14 PM
I use Acura Synchromesh transmission fluid. Amazing stuff.

mspired13
06-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Always do regular services. Changing tranny fluid and changing oil are very similar. Doesn't take long. And if you haven't changed it...then you'll notice improve drivability, smoothness, acceleration, and maybe gas milage. Its easy. Acura Synchromesh fluid is pretty good. I heard that they have smaller molecules or something like that because their trannies are pickier. Whatever the reason...I run it too...because I have an integra also. ;)

black94t
06-13-2008, 03:55 PM
I would put 75- 90 cause I would stick with what toyota says! Thats just me tho.

I agree. Sounds good to me. Question is, what brand?

ciento44
06-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Always do regular services. Changing tranny fluid and changing oil are very similar. Doesn't take long. And if you haven't changed it...then you'll notice improve drivability, smoothness, acceleration, and maybe gas milage. Its easy. Acura Synchromesh fluid is pretty good. I heard that they have smaller molecules or something like that because their trannies are pickier. Whatever the reason...I run it too...because I have an integra also. ;)

I just saw what it did to my buddy's 1993 GSR YS1 tranny with 256k miles on it, and it was amazing. Got rid of the grind he had into 3rd, and made it buttery smooth. I've never been able to shift anything faster than that transmission.

celica9303
06-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Royal purple maxgear 75-90 or penzoil syncromesh

Luni
06-13-2008, 09:40 PM
I use Toyota Hypoid gear oil (its more expensive than hookers and blow... I got it for a hella deal)

S54s call for ATF. If you have an S54 just use ATF. They got revised seals and the brass is a little different in an S54 so use what they call for. '

If its an S53, its just a standard 75w90 fluid without a friction multiplier in it.

So, its your pick. Discussing favorite tranny fluid gets as bad as talking about favorite oil. Everyone will tell you something different.

Some people use syncromesh, say its ok. Some people say dont use it its too thin for a toyota tranny. Some people say mix it with Lucas. Some people say lucas gets frothy and dont mix it. Some people swear by redline MT90, some people say its not the right fluid, you need redline 75w90 thats a GL5 fluid. Somepeople say royal purple, some people say mobil synthetic, some people say this or that.

Bottom line, Ive honestly never felt any difference between any fluids Ive ever used. If your tranny is good, then I dont think it matters a lot. If you have some grinds, then try some syncromesh or some of the other "specialty fluids".

mspired13
06-13-2008, 09:44 PM
well said Luni.

celica9303
06-13-2008, 09:58 PM
+1 for luni

black94t
06-13-2008, 10:29 PM
The purpose for the thread is to hear experiences. I'm not going to go to Oreilly, ask them what gear oil I need to buy, then buy their shelf no-name brand and dump it in there. If I'm hearing some common uses of mobile 1, I'll be inclined to check out mobil one. Of course, 75W-90 is what I need for the S53, 93 Celica GT. Toyota can tell me that. I just hate going to these local stores and buying the save-a-buck $2.50/quart oil only to find out they cause issues (or not..who knows). That's why I ask.

Not a favoritism match, but rather recommendations and experiences. I think I'm going to try out that Royal Purple 75W-90. Sounds popular here and popular in other places as well.

Thanks!

Slider
06-13-2008, 10:46 PM
I would personally go with Amsoil http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?category=23 75w-90
or Redline MT-90

My car had a problem when downshifting into 2nd it would grind, I switched out the fluid with GM Synchromesh and the problem went away. I grew a habit of double clutching down to 2nd and I still do it now even though I could just do it without the double clutch.

Luni
06-13-2008, 11:05 PM
If youre asking me for my personal recommendation, honestly Id say, if youre tranny is in good shape, Id just run mobil in the gray/silvery bottle you can get from the parts store for like 9 bucks a quart.

If youre having grind issues, Id prolly mix 1 quart standard 75w90 fluid with some syncromesh. Pennzoil syncromesh is the same thing as GM syncromesh and its easier to get.

Josh Boam over a CRW recommends Redline Shockproof for E153 trannies. They use the same type of fluid as S53s. Id imagine you could run an S54 on anything you wanted to as well really.

Trance4c
06-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Just get some Royal Purple Sychromax at Napa. Good to go.

Luni
06-13-2008, 11:52 PM
See what I mean? Everyone has good suggestions. Just pick one and go with it and you should be fine.

I trust my experience of course cause its my experience. I trust Trance wouldnt recommend what he did if he didnt trust it or have good experiences with it. I trust Slider would recommend you what he thought was good and had good experiences with too. I even trust Cientos honda induced experiences and whatever Joey says too.

So nobody is wrong, just gotta decide what brand you want to go with. Most of brand loyalty is BS, and its just personal experience. Whatever you go with initially is generally what you stick with if it works. Doesnt mean the other guys dont work well either, it just means, you know what you know.

black94t
06-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Correct. No one is wrong. What's nice about threads such as these is as people start chiming in what they use, you start to get a cluster of certain oils. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'm going to Napa first thing tomorrow! Gotta get this dump back on the road. The 94 is getting 18mpg and eating my pocket on 93 octane. Go celica! lol

mspired13
06-14-2008, 12:16 AM
Cars are like people. They can be picky. One brand can run better in one celica, and another can run better in another. Trial and Error. I run the Honda OEM stuff now. I had tried Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil, and Napa. All real good stuff!! Can't go wrong with any!! As you can see....I like to experiment. So far...for me...the best shifting is with the Honda OEM stuff. ;)

Cavanagh
06-14-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm about to put some Pennzoil Synchomesh into my car since it likes to grind on the down shift to 3rd, and rarely going to 3rd.

Trance4c
06-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Yep.. in this case there are many correct answers. You'll find out what works best with your car. Go with a reputable good fluid that is available to you locally, that is probably your best criteria.

ssantos6981
06-30-2008, 05:44 AM
I still haven't gotten any help... How can I found out what type of transmission fluid (whether atf or gear oil) in my manual trans? I have a 90 celica ST. Here is the info from RoyalPurple.com but I don't know what to buy. I've tried searching to find out my transmission type, but I haven't been able to find out.

The reason I ask is because in this thread people speak about an s54 and an s55, one taking atf and the other taking gear oil. I'm not certain if they are both manual trans and one takes atf and the other gear oil, or if the one with atf is auto and the gear oil manual. I don't know if I just missed that part or it wasn't specified. Any help would be appreciated.

Manual Transmission / Transaxle (ATF’s) Synchromax

Manual Transmission / Transaxle (API GL-4 or GL-5: 75W90, 80W90) Max-Gear 75W90

Slider
06-30-2008, 06:20 AM
I would go with the gear oil 75w90. As long as you're not having synchro problems that should work no problem.

cs363
06-30-2008, 07:41 AM
S54s call for ATF. If you have an S54 just use ATF. They got revised seals and the brass is a little different in an S54 so use what they call for. '

If its an S53, its just a standard 75w90 fluid without a friction multiplier in it.

That's weird - my Toyota 'recommended lubricants' book shows Dexron II (now superceded by Dexron III) for both S53 & S54, and everything else as 75/90 GL4 except for 4WD's which it lists GL5.
So does a castrol book I looked at today.

But hey all pretty good advice here, just thought i'd toss another couple of cents in the ring... :)

Trance4c
06-30-2008, 11:19 PM
I still haven't gotten any help... How can I found out what type of transmission fluid (whether atf or gear oil) in my manual trans? I have a 90 celica ST. Here is the info from RoyalPurple.com but I don't know what to buy. I've tried searching to find out my transmission type, but I haven't been able to find out.

The reason I ask is because in this thread people speak about an s54 and an s55, one taking atf and the other taking gear oil. I'm not certain if they are both manual trans and one takes atf and the other gear oil, or if the one with atf is auto and the gear oil manual. I don't know if I just missed that part or it wasn't specified. Any help would be appreciated.

Manual Transmission / Transaxle (ATF’s) Synchromax

Manual Transmission / Transaxle (API GL-4 or GL-5: 75W90, 80W90) Max-Gear 75W90

Actually, you have gotten an abundance of information which now makes it that much worse to figure out, but all of it is applicable.

The S53 & S54 call for ATF (Dextron III).

since that is a fairly thin fluid, you may want to couple that with a bit of a high quality fluid, such as the Royal Purple or GM Syncromesh. Especially for high mileage.

Or, you could just skip both and go to a thicker oil all together, using the 75w90.

Either way, you can't screw up your trans on any of these fluids, but you can screw it up with no fluid.

The only way to know what is in your transmission current is to have it analyzed.

I know it sound really weird to hear someone say this, but try not to over-think this one. The current condition, mileage and your driving habits will dictate which fluid more than the actually original requirement by Toyota.

ssantos6981
07-01-2008, 01:35 AM
Actually, you have gotten an abundance of information which now makes it that much worse to figure out, but all of it is applicable.

The S53 & S54 call for ATF (Dextron III).

since that is a fairly thin fluid, you may want to couple that with a bit of a high quality fluid, such as the Royal Purple or GM Syncromesh. Especially for high mileage.

Or, you could just skip both and go to a thicker oil all together, using the 75w90.

Either way, you can't screw up your trans on any of these fluids, but you can screw it up with no fluid.

The only way to know what is in your transmission current is to have it analyzed.

I know it sound really weird to hear someone say this, but try not to over-think this one. The current condition, mileage and your driving habits will dictate which fluid more than the actually original requirement by Toyota.

Thank you for such an excellent and well made response. It is just what I was looking for. 75w90 it is then!!!

Thanks a bunch!!!

ssantos6981
07-01-2008, 02:48 AM
One more thing... what is the capacity or how much should I put in?

Slider
07-01-2008, 04:09 AM
It's about 2 and a half quarts. So get 3 quarts. Raise the car so it's level, both front and back. Remove the fill plug first then open the drain plug and let it drain. Now tighten the drain plug and fill the transmission all the way to the drain hole. You'll either need a pump or run a tube from the engine bay down to the fill hole to fill up the transmission since it won't let you from the bottom.

KoreanJoey
07-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Yeah just fill it till it's coming out of the fill hole. It's a splash style lubrication system so it's not really sensitive to too much fluid.

ssantos6981
07-02-2008, 07:19 AM
thanks for all your well informed and quick responses. that's why celicatech gets my vote for best celica based forum. you're number 1!!!!

black94t
07-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Thats reassuring because when i put the fluid in, I had about 1/4 left of the 3rd quart when it started running out of the filler hole. I thought it took 4 quarts but I did leave the shorter axle in so I thought maybe there was some that never drained out completely. But, I've ran the car for about 300 miles now and I would think at this point I'd have problems if I didnt have enough fluid in it. So it's a bit more comforting when I hear 2-1/2 to 3 quarts is all you need :)

oh ya, I ended up using Valvoline 75w90 on a 210k mile tranny. Shifts nice and smooth for me.