PDA

View Full Version : need help on making a decision

import playa d
06-06-2008, 05:40 PM
well ive purchased an acura rsx type s and its been getting all my attention since i bought her.but i have an 92 celica gt.i had problems with her thats why i bought another car.but now i want to get the celica back on the road.im currently trying to make up my mind on what to do.first of all i am planning on just rebuilding the motor top and bottom so i can forsure have no problems whatsoever,well thats engine wise of course.or secondly do the 3sgte swap,my only reason im not really wanting to lean towards the 3s swap is because it might be more maintenance after the swap.i just want to do something to the car to get it back on the road.i would like to have you guys opinion on my situation or if possible.give me an alternate route to go about having my celica back on the road.thanks guys.

ciento44
06-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Get another 5sfe?

Swap a later model V6?

import playa d
06-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Get another 5sfe?

Swap a later model V6?
what model exactly? and i want something that will be very reliable.thats why i was just thinking of rebuilding my current motor.i dont want to have to do alot of maintenance in the future.

zmile06
06-06-2008, 07:36 PM
If you have an RSX, i would recommend just doing a rebuild on the 5sfe. You have to think Miles Per Gallon in this situation. RSX has a lot of EUFF, in it to satisfy your need. Unless your crazy like half the members on here :-D.

There is really no reason to have 2 cars that get bad Miles Per Gallon. Not really bad for what they are, but not daily driver material.

Or do what i did when my 4afe bit the dust due to me not checking the oil OUCH! Get an engine with 110k do all the gaskets new water pump timing belt etc. I forget if i did the tensioner or not... Anyways! Just do all that and be happy! Only reason to do a complete rebuild is if you really desire a brand new engine. It would be nice, don't get me wrong, but it would be a big headache also. Unless your an A+ mechanic, and have high tolerance for set backs.

I would recommend replacing alot to do with ur transmission. If it's manual clutch etc. If it's automatic (this is what i should of done) replace all the gaskets. Also if it's manual put some good gear grease in there so it will shift nice and smooth.

Only do 3sgte swap if you REALLY want it, it wouldn't be a crap load of maintenance if you actually did the swap good and got a good clean engine. Like always though replace everything connecting to the engine, and all the gaskets to be safe. Easier to do it now then once it's in the car.

Conclusion 5sfe = easier

import playa d
06-06-2008, 09:29 PM
If you have an RSX, i would recommend just doing a rebuild on the 5sfe. You have to think Miles Per Gallon in this situation. RSX has a lot of EUFF, in it to satisfy your need. Unless your crazy like half the members on here :-D.

There is really no reason to have 2 cars that get bad Miles Per Gallon. Not really bad for what they are, but not daily driver material.

Or do what i did when my 4afe bit the dust due to me not checking the oil OUCH! Get an engine with 110k do all the gaskets new water pump timing belt etc. I forget if i did the tensioner or not... Anyways! Just do all that and be happy! Only reason to do a complete rebuild is if you really desire a brand new engine. It would be nice, don't get me wrong, but it would be a big headache also. Unless your an A+ mechanic, and have high tolerance for set backs.

I would recommend replacing alot to do with ur transmission. If it's manual clutch etc. If it's automatic (this is what i should of done) replace all the gaskets. Also if it's manual put some good gear grease in there so it will shift nice and smooth.

Only do 3sgte swap if you REALLY want it, it wouldn't be a crap load of maintenance if you actually did the swap good and got a good clean engine. Like always though replace everything connecting to the engine, and all the gaskets to be safe. Easier to do it now then once it's in the car.

Conclusion 5sfe = easier
thank you for your help.the only real reason i just want to do a complete rebuild is because my motor is in pretty bad condition.which lead me to purchasing the rsx.but i would like to have the car back on the road with as minimum problems i can.which is why im considering doing a complete rebuilt.as far as transmission.its still in great shape.i got a new tranny put in couple months before motor went crazy.but i will change the tranny fluid as you said.what do you think i should go with.and around how much would a rebuild usually run as far as just building to factory specs,parts,etc...

Cavanagh
06-06-2008, 09:36 PM
IF you keep talking about wanting minimal problems and the eaiset, swap or rebuild your 5sfe.

PhillyDRFT
06-06-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm with Zmile, He gave you the best explanation for your situation.

You have to weigh the options. You can get bulletproof reliability from a used engine as long as it's been kept well. Service all of the gaskets you can get to. Do the belts and everything wile the engine is out of the car.

I've heard a lot of mixed opinions about breaking the OEM head seal. Some people say you will NEVER get it perfect again. Others say it's hit or miss, some have never had a problem. Just one of the many things you'll have to take into consideration if you're rebuilding with the idea of 100% reliability. Finding good local shops who won't rape you on cost for decking and honing your block. The average garage mechanic will have problems when it comes to needing machine work.

Be choosey about your engine, Get a Compression test done if you decide on a used one. Aim for 150+ on all cylinders and within 10psi of each other is best. The 5sfe is a tank Mine survived 3 summers of weekend track racing, 4 years of daily driving, bad maintenance and 200k miles.

Chris
06-06-2008, 11:44 PM
I'd swap in a 5sfe. If I'm right, camrys had them all the way up to 2001, or at least 1999. You can find something, and unless you've got experience with a rebuild, it'd be the most reliable route.