PDA

View Full Version : a automatic that sounds manuel

Boosted91celiGTS
06-06-2008, 09:24 AM
just like the title implies, idk howthis kid did it but tonight on my way home from 7-11, a kid in a non-turbo eclipse made his car have a high revin pitch like a manuel car would as if u down shifted, maybe im trippin alil,but if anyone has herd this or is guilty of this, explain it plz,haha ckuz im confused and need sleep,

Murgatroy
06-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Simple.

Manually downshifting an automatic.

I do it daily.

With an automatic transmission, the gear selector basically just limits the maximum gear the car can shift into.

If you put the gear selector in 1, the car will only shift to first gear, it will not upshift to second gear. If you put the shift selector in 2, the car will start off in 1rst gear, then it will upshift to second, it will not upshift any higher.

Chaos has a 4 speed automatic. I just drop her in D. When I need to accelerate or decelerate, I will push the Overdrive Button, to shift from 4th, to 3rd. If I require more acceleration, or deceleration, I will manually move the selector to 2, which will downshift me to second gear.

Now with Domestic transmissions, they can be modified to manual valvebodies, which means that you must manually shift to a higher, or lower gear every time you desire to change gears. These are normally used for racing purposes, and can be had with normal or reverse shift patterns.

PhillyDRFT
06-06-2008, 12:13 PM
:lolhittin :wtf:

Thankyou murg for a real explanation. Isn't that bad for your auto to pop around so much?

And to the OP. Proper capitalization, punctuation, spelling and using way less commas will help your cause.

Murgatroy
06-06-2008, 12:31 PM
:lolhittin :wtf:

Thankyou murg for a real explanation. Isn't that bad for your auto to pop around so much?

And to the OP. Proper capitalization, punctuation, spelling and using way less commas will help your cause.
No, it is not good for the transmission. To a point. I don't condone this or suggest that someone go out on a daily basis slapping their automatic transmission from gear to gear and redlining to every redlight.

However, I have been driving Chaos in this manner for almost 8 years. But again, she is a rare breed. ;)

This allows a driver to keep the engine in it's powerband and allow engine braking. It will burn out your clutches faster and increase heat, which is not good.

With domestic transmissions (I will use the GM Turbo Hydramatic as my example as it is bulletproof and I have plenty of experience with it) there are many upgrades available. You can install shift kits to varying degrees of aggressiveness as well as hardened input hubs, torque converters (stall converters) of various ranges of stall. Valvebodies with or without transbrakes, manual valvebodies, reverse pattern valvebodies (PR123,) hardened tailshafts and of course, Trickshift ATF.

In my Camaro racecar, I had a TH350 with a 3500 stall converter, manual valvebody and a slapstick shifter.

As a matter of fact, a lot of drag cars, regardless of powerplant, run GM Turbo Hydramatic or Powerglide (two speed) automatic transmissions. I can think of several Supras that run them.

Boosted91celiGTS
06-06-2008, 08:32 PM
i guess that works. but i didn't know if i was trippin out or what. and my fault Philly for the crappy typing job but like i said in the first post. i was exhuasted, and by any chance that someone else in this forum has a DSM or know anything about DSM's they will understand.haha thanks again

ST185
06-06-2008, 08:48 PM
For a second there I thought you were talking about one of my friends cuz he drives an eclipse with an automatic transmission and he does the same thing going from gear to gear coming off every stop sign.

celicaGT90_05
06-06-2008, 09:25 PM
I do it with my auto, as long as you dont beat the hell out of it you should be ok

Cavanagh
06-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Some kid with a V6 Mustang around here tries to act like his car is manual. :lolhittin He will be in drive, and when its about to shift, put it in neutral, then put it back in drive. UGH

PhillyDRFT
06-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Yeah I used to know lots of people in school who ran the Hydramatic Transmissions. I know how bulletproof they are and the capability's of one of those lol. My question was more or less pointed to the average 4speed OD auto. I knew lots of ricers who loved to pop the gear around like it was a stick. I never actually sat down and learned all of the internals to an automatic trans so I was expecting it to be one of those "Oh no shit? I never knew that!" kind of Q & A's.

My sister has owned an auto DSM since she bought it new in 1997. The OD is pretty "aggressive" and it really does sound like you're downshifting. adds a good bit of engine breaking to boot. Thats probly what you heard. not to mention she is on her 3rd transmission rebuild. 2 of which were covered under warranty. Eclipses have paper michette in the bell housing.

and Sorry boosted, I didn't mean to jump down your neck about grammar and spelling. I was having a shitty morning so I was pretty crabby.

Azzazzyn
06-07-2008, 02:26 PM
I used to shift my auto when I was street racing oh yeah. It made so much more power especially when I was using NOS