PDA

View Full Version : 13BT Rear wheel drive GT4

n01zee
06-04-2008, 11:02 PM
So I am building a celica 13BT rear wheel drive. Basing it around the GT8 alot as they are very similar in a way. Has anyone got any ideas or assistance they can offer in terms of parts to use, front hubs, steering racks etc? I am doing this build on a budget however have alot of profesionals to lend a hand and help with the build (not that i'm not fairly clued up anyway) so the total cost should be well under half of what it would cost to pay someone to build it. Plus, that would be no fun. I am determined to do it myself and obsorb every little bit i can learn from it. The engine that is getting built will be able to handle between 350-700hp depending on turbo and fuel system etc. I am having it bridgeported as i want the car mostly for show and the b/p pulse is ideal to show off the fact that it's certainly not just another GT4 (for you americans GT4s are like corollas here in NZ) The pic is the car before it was stripped. The Kit is getting refitted and new wheels, suspension etc etc blah blah will be done to the outside. car will end up maroon with electric blue pearl. I am hoping for an 18month build wich as normal is only restricted to the flow of money as i go!!!!

Help is appreciated!

burnyd
06-05-2008, 12:11 AM
best of luck to you...

n01zee
06-05-2008, 12:15 AM
:bigthumbu cheers, it's not as difficult as you may think. we can get away with alot more here in nz than you guys in the states!

burnyd
06-05-2008, 12:19 AM
well its not that we cant get away with anything... theres alot of states here in the US that do not have safety inspection or emissions... so some places here int he states are really careless.

n01zee
06-05-2008, 12:36 AM
come to think of it i had heard that at some stage. it is pretty slack. i like the idea of having some safety restrictions. 75% of kiwis wouldnt bother doing anything to there cars if we didnt have to get warrent of fitnesses and then you could imagine the chaos that would ensue. I think we have a good balance between safety and fun :bigthumbu

Shadowlife25
06-05-2008, 12:54 AM
I'd personally go with the Cosmo 20b engine. Much more potential and it will still fit :D
Biggest issue you'll end up having is fitting the transmission.

n01zee
06-05-2008, 01:02 AM
13bt bridge port block and internals built to handle up to 700hp $3500-4500 nz incl the purchase of the engine.
20bt $6000nz standard!
I have thought about it, but unless i wanted a 1000hp engine the 13bt will be fine, plus the fact that its lighter and parts are easier to get hold of.
We are bolting up a w57 and myself and a engineer friend will be building the gearbox tunnel :D
the best thing is there is a company in NZ that makes bell housings to bolt the w57 right up! I love that idea! plus its only about $450nz
NZ $ is about half of the US $

Shadowlife25
06-05-2008, 01:08 AM
I do agree on the cost issues involving the 20b. If you have someone to help you fabricate the tunnel and have access to a suitable bell housing, then you've got this down. Those are generally the biggest issues you'll run into. After that portion is taken care of the only thing really left is to have the drive-line cut/fabricated.

Shadowlife25
06-05-2008, 01:10 AM
I take it you do also have access or funds to get an LSD that will handle the additional torque/HP? Or were you planning on also converting the rear end setup to an Rx-* based platform?

n01zee
06-05-2008, 02:11 AM
no i have a spark ga70 lsd lying around at home which we will fabricate in. i didnt really want to use anything but toyota except for the engine itself. i didnt really even want a rota but wanted something different and easy to get power out of so it seemed like an obvious answer. the thing is that i will have to change the front hubs i would imagine because of the location of the steering rack being on the firewall where the gearbox tunnel is going to be built. Also i havent sized up the diffs yet, do you know if the ga70 bolts up or whether i have to mess around with custom axles and crap which i may have to do depending how much power i choose to run.

Custom_Celica
06-05-2008, 02:57 AM
off topic but what kind of boday kit is that? im diggin it

n01zee
06-05-2008, 03:05 AM
Yeah i love it. But it came with the car and i have been searching everywhere to find out what type it is but i cant really assist you... yet. it's got a rear kit to go with it too, but its the ugliest thing ive ever seen! so when it got destroyed JUST before i bought the car i wasnt upset at all lol.

Cavanagh
06-05-2008, 07:05 AM
13B? So your putting a Turbo Rotary into it?
Why?

19celica90
06-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Why?
Yes Cavanagh, a Turbo Rotary, with headers, intercooler, and pistons. They came in the 2000 edition Ford Mustang GT-R. :laugh:

*Hopefully someone remembers what I'm referring to....

Cavanagh
06-05-2008, 05:56 PM
:laugh: Oh i know...

n01zee
06-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Why?
Something different. Liked the idea of the GT8 with the twin turbed v8 so thought why not go for a lighter engine that is easier to fit. Makes sense to me. Plus i like doing skids.

19celica90
06-06-2008, 12:34 AM
in case other members don't know what were talking about....http://youtube.com/watch?v=WlDLybhuOH0 :hehe:

lburner
06-06-2008, 12:50 AM
i dont know what to say about that. i think if u ask him if a john deer in it he would have said, ya ya

n01zee
06-06-2008, 01:34 AM
i dont know what to say about that. i think if u ask him if a john deer in it he would have said, ya ya
sorry was that reffering to me or the piston powered rotor guy?
no, i wouldn't put a john deere in it. i'm doing something different that makes sense. Not something stupid.

lburner
06-06-2008, 07:57 AM
sorry was that reffering to me or the piston powered rotor guy?
no, i wouldn't put a john deere in it. i'm doing something different that makes sense. Not something stupid.

i was reffering to the video, but im with you all the way with the 13b

MrWOT
06-06-2008, 04:46 PM
And into the custom forum you go.. and good luck :)

cms-gt4
06-07-2008, 04:27 AM
What gearbox are you using? You might consider a supra rear diff with upgraded lsd. Rear axles might need to be upgraded as well. I would look into using the rear supra spindles so you can have 5x114 rear bolt pattern and can run wider wheels.

As for the front steering. You have to move the rack, I think for the gearbox.
I would just get some supra or mr2 hubs machined to fit, and call it a day with the front suspension so you can still use the oem spindles. I am sure you can find some other toyota rack and modify it to work.

Good luck. I would start a work in progress thread.

n01zee
06-08-2008, 08:45 PM
cheers for the support guys. i will be using a w57.
also i think your onto something with the supra parts. i had been considering using them and you have just confirmed that.

VikingJZ
06-09-2008, 04:08 AM
I can't wait to see that one man. Clean car too!

I love videos with dumbasses like that dude.

But hey, my friend had a limited edition 1991 Buick Park Avenue GT-R if you know what I mean.

It had urr ride

n01zee
06-09-2008, 05:29 AM
I can't wait to see that one man. Clean car too!

I love videos with dumbasses like that dude.

But hey, my friend had a limited edition 1991 Buick Park Avenue GT-R if you know what I mean.

It had urr ride
Sorry dude you will have to explain that one to me. I might see a buick once every year over here!
Unfortunately the car isn't that clean anymore. That pic was take a couple of years ago and it was my daily driver. A few body parts need repairs now but it will look very tidy when finshed.

Still looking for someone to shed some light on the type of body kit it is :bigthumbu

cms-gt4
06-09-2008, 05:50 PM
If I remember correctly, it is an Australian made body kit. I can not remember the company name. If I find the link I wll post it. I found info on it 4 or 5 years ago.

n01zee
06-10-2008, 05:34 AM
awesome cheers mate. i would imagine if it is as rear as i think it is that i will go down the route of repairing it instead of replacing it!