PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt starter screeching

Galcobar
06-04-2008, 10:27 PM
I find myself wondering if I purchased a bad rebuilt starter, or am an incompetent installer.

Replacing a starter that would occasionally not engage (solve by tapping on the starter as the key is turned).

Picked up a rebuild from a reputable shop (friend's recommendation, and apparently they also do rebuilds for local dealerships). Installed it. Started the engine, hear horrible noise.

The engine will start, but while it is cranking I get the same sort of godawful screech as when you try cranking the starter with the engine running. If I let off the key when the screech starts, the engine doesn't fire.

So did I screw up, or did they?

ciento44
06-04-2008, 10:47 PM
I would imagine they did.... It's kindof hard to screw up a starter install, and from what i've seen you post, i don't think you would have it in you to screw it up.

Galcobar
06-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Well, pulled the rebuilt starter and installed the stock one. No more screeching.

Aside from noticable wear on stock starter's the idler gear and the tips of its fins being a little chewed, the one structural difference I noted between the two was the shape of the idler gear fins.

Both were triangular if viewed end-on, meaning the notches in the gear were triangular. Looking down on the gear, however, in the stock starter the end of the fins was angled, rather like the latch on a door -- one side angled, the other side straight. The rebuild starter's fins were symmetrically straight; wonder if that was the problem.

CriScO
06-05-2008, 08:44 AM
That could have done it. Sounds like they either accidently put the wrong bendix gear on the unit, or ended up with one that was unfinished. It wasn't meshing smoothly with the flywheel, and was beating the hell out of it trying too. That's the whole reason one side is tapered, so it can engage smoothly.