PDA

View Full Version : Supra Questions

Chris
06-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Depending on what insurance does with my 300zx, I'm looking at possibly replacing it with a Toyota Supra. My budget is about ~3000.

I'm open to ideas, right now it's more about how the car drives, looks and the reliability factor. Speed and performance, though nice, are an afterthought at this point.

I've heard about head gasket problems, and I've heard that the 7mge starts to knock fairly easily if it is run low on oil.

How true are those, in comparison to the 5SFE I'm so used to dealing with?

And are there any other issues with that Celica Supra and the Supra that I should know about before I go searching?

Here's some examples that I'm looking at:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/703067170.html

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/672977706.html

Supra Goddess
06-04-2008, 09:30 PM
The mk2 in the 2nd link looks pretty good. If it truly has no rust, SNAG it.

Biggest problem with the mk2 Supras is rust. Check under the battery tray (people like to let leaky batteries eat the car), in all the wheel wells, spare tire well, quarter panels, rocker moldings, edges of doors.

5MGEs are tough engines, but will let you know if they've been abused. 5 speed cars get the most abuse, obviously, so it is best to start with an auto car and swap a 5 speed in later. 5MGE engines tend to leak a lot of oil in their old age, from the cam towers most often. Not to expensive to replace, but can be a PITA for a beginner.

Other PITA aspects, the starter is in a horrible place to get to on both mk2 and mk3s, as well as the fuel filter. Other than that, they're easy to work on, and will last forever if you maintain the car and don't ignore it.

The Captain
06-04-2008, 09:31 PM
I had a 90 Turbo with the 7MGTE. Great car and much easier to work on than my Alltrac. Yes, they'll pop a head gasket, but if you do it's easy to fix. A re-torque to a higher value on the head bolts will help prevent it. I loved the car but the Alltrac fell in my lap and I sold it. The 86-92 Supras were tanks. Mine was 3800lbs.

Supra Goddess
06-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Yep, mk3 Supras are heavy bastards. Mk3 owners who own mk2s as well claim their mk2s may be slower but are "more nimble feeling".

Most M series engines have headgasket "issues", and that's because Toyota uderrated the headbolt tq from the factory. Stock is 56ft/lbs IIRC, most people retorque their headbolts, in sequence and in 3 steps, to 75 ft/lbs

Flea420
06-05-2008, 01:08 AM
My first mk3 supra's headgasket went pop without prior notice.
My 2nd mk3 supra, I bought with rod knock, the owner ran it low on oil (I went 1JZ with it however :wiggle: )

If you take care of it, it will last. The only inevitable problem really is the head gasket.

I would so jump on the mk3 if i where you. 1 note though, the gas tanks are the same turbo or not, he says its 16gallons, haha, their actually 18.5, turbo or not :)

Chris
06-05-2008, 05:35 AM
I would so jump on the mk3 if i where you. 1 note though, the gas tanks are the same turbo or not, he says its 16gallons, haha, their actually 18.5, turbo or not :)

The owner is 19, and it from the mods list (someone correct me if I'm wrong here), it looks like he started to turbo charge the motor.

Here's another ad with pictures. http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/703067170.html

The guy had made a post on supraforums.com looking for parts to turbo it on the 24th of May. So I dunno. It's a beautiful car. I'm just wondering if he started on the swap and something went wrong, or he decided he didn't want to spend $1500. He said he found another car to tinker with over the summer.

The price is also incredibly low too, that car should be going for at least 3000 to 4000. Makes me wonder. But I'm gonna keep up on it.

The mk2 in the 2nd link looks pretty good. If it truly has no rust, SNAG it.

I tried calling her, and it said the number was out of service. I'm gonna keep trying though, it looks like a neat car.

MrWOT
06-05-2008, 05:56 AM
7M is quite reliable after torquing the head bolts properly and making sure your cooling system doesn't have air in it. As for it being sensitive to low oil, I've had mine a quart low and it didn't grenade, but I don't rev the shit out of it either. Wonderful handling on the mk3, one of the best balanced vehicles I've ever driven.

celicaGT90_05
06-05-2008, 06:08 AM
My friend has a rolling chassis 87 supra for $900 with a 7M. It doesnt work right now, and Im not sure whats wrong with it, but I wish I had the money and a place to put it. He was the guy I got my celica off of, and he let me drive that car, it was freakin wicked

Flea420
06-05-2008, 07:01 AM
To me, it sounds likeall his "Recent modifications" where the most cheapass things you can do to mod a car. Nothing in that ad makes me think he was going turbo.

Sounds like he may have replaced a few hings that he took fromt he Turbo car or a JDM NA and is trying to make it sound special.

Honestly it sounds good to me. He's 19, so may have beat the crap outa it. Can you link his supraforums post?

He hasnt even done a headgasket replacment as mentinoed above, that would be the FIRST thing to do if trying to turbo that motor. This guy is broke and to cheap to go turbo imo :bigthumbu (98% of MK3 owners are broke college students, its a known fact :wiggle: )

Chris
06-05-2008, 07:31 AM
To me, it sounds likeall his "Recent modifications" where the most cheapass things you can do to mod a car. Nothing in that ad makes me think he was going turbo.

Sounds like he may have replaced a few hings that he took fromt he Turbo car or a JDM NA and is trying to make it sound special.

Honestly it sounds good to me. He's 19, so may have beat the crap outa it. Can you link his supraforums post?

He hasnt even done a headgasket replacment as mentinoed above, that would be the FIRST thing to do if trying to turbo that motor. This guy is broke and to cheap to go turbo imo :bigthumbu (98% of MK3 owners are broke college students, its a known fact :wiggle: )

Here's the search for his posts. I figured it was worthwhile to check for any "Ah shit, I blew my motor. Time to sell it on craigslist" threads (kidding). But here is the thread where he's asking for the parts (and a new engine, actually).

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492365

It's a nice car, and I'm optimistic. But after the 300zx, I'm overly cautious. I'll keep in contact with him, test drive it and see where that gets me.

Ps. I'm a somewhat-broke college student too, but luckily it's summer. And I'm gonna see where this 300zx insurance thing is gonna go, since that's what all this rides on.

Chris
06-05-2008, 11:41 PM
I hate to ask, but if anyone has a carfax with unlimited, could they run a vin for me? (I believe that's how it works)

JT2MA70J7G0016750

Chris
06-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Alright, got the carfax. Chassis probably has around 300,000 on it. It has been in one accident, and I remember reading something on the forums about him having to replace his rear, left (Drives) side axle. But from the pictures, it looks fine. If there is a problem with the axle, my dad and I will be able to tell. And, I can replace an axle, what I'm worried about is the tranny, motor and chassis.

VikingJZ
06-08-2008, 06:13 AM
I have a biff with the white one. All the little piddly shit is nice but I question the work.

Come on, a TURBO gas tank? Seriously.

Check over the car THOROUGHLY. Take it somewhere if you can't do a full check yourself.

Flea420
06-08-2008, 08:46 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55/Flea420/1JZ/88supra.jpg
This car looks fine dosnt it?
You proboly already know to look over the car, but I cant stress that enough, especially knowing it was in a prior accident.

This car, I bought, and my 1JZ didnt fit right, which raised some suspicions, it was months before I realized the extent of the Severe frame damage this car had. Working in a body shop, I tried to fix it, but it was to far gone. I sold it later on simply because of this issue.

Check the body lines, check the paint (For runs, dirt, etc.) and check the frame rails, not just the axles. My car could not be alligned within specs even after I spent a day pulling on it, trying to straighten it with 10 tons of pull on the bastard.

Chris
06-08-2008, 03:13 PM
I have a biff with the white one. All the little piddly shit is nice but I question the work.

Come on, a TURBO gas tank? Seriously.

Check over the car THOROUGHLY. Take it somewhere if you can't do a full check yourself.

Well, I talked the guy down to $2350. My dad and I are going to see the car today. The thing is, my dad knows what 200hp feels like and will be able to test it, I won't.

I'm gonna check the quality of the work to the best of my ability.

Check the body lines, check the paint (For runs, dirt, etc.) and check the frame rails, not just the axles. My car could not be aligned within specs even after I spent a day pulling on it, trying to straighten it with 10 tons of pull on the bastard.

Point taken, we'll do a pretty thorough search back there. We'll especially pay attention to how it drives, and that should give us any idea if the accident did enough damage to the frame to make the car unalignable (yeah, I just made that word up).

I'm not gonna lie, I'm hopeful on this one. I've always admired the Supras, and I really hope this thing is gonna turn out right. But I've done my best to stay pessimistic, because I don't want to get screwed like I did on the 300.

I guess the frame damage, if there is any, could explain the price. Though he could of also had trouble selling the car. In the midwest, there aren't many Supras or MR2s running around.

Chris
06-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Ended up getting the white Supra. I'll give more details later. Pictures will be a couple days, as it's pouring down rain here.

geebes
06-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Oh dear! Nice!...hope its better than the z!

85gtsblackman
06-10-2008, 04:32 AM
boo shoulda bought the mk2

fail

Chris
06-10-2008, 04:54 AM

fail

Couldn't get ahold of her.

Here's a question for you guys.

Well, to start off, so far the engine runs good. It's strong. But it's got that large exhaust on the end, and it seems like it doesn't really have much go in the low end. Could that be due to the big exhaust robbing the engine of torque? It's NA.

Secondly, the car is hard to start, in that I have to flip a switch, which I believe turns the fuel on, but I'll have to clarify. At the same time, I have to press in on the gas a bit. Once it gets started, it might idle a bit rough, but the motor is fine.

Any idea what that could be? pressure leak in the fuel line? Fuel pump?

Flea420
06-10-2008, 04:56 AM

fail

mkiii ftw :wiggle:

I went from the factory exhaust on my first NA supra to a 2.5inch all the way with a 3inch muffler. Didnt notice any diff in the car besides the sound.

The supra is a heavy pig especially with no turbo to help it out.

T-spoon
06-10-2008, 05:02 AM
mkiii ftw :wiggle:

I went from the factory exhaust on my first NA supra to a 2.5inch all the way with a 3inch muffler. Didnt notice any diff in the car besides the sound.

The supra is a heavy pig especially with no turbo to help it out.

Yeah, I'm betting this is all it is. Think of it this way. Put a 3sfe or 1st gen 3sge in an All-trac and see how quick it is to get moving.. heh.

Chris
06-10-2008, 05:06 AM
Yeah, I'm betting this is all it is. Think of it this way. Put a 3sfe or 1st gen 3sge in an All-trac and see how quick it is to get moving.. heh.

Makes sense. I know the motor is strong. Unlike my the worn out 3.0 V6 that was in my 300zx, when this thing hits its power band, it rocks out. And can easily get me in trouble.

I need to change the oil tomorrow though. The guy said he put royal purple in there, and the oil was full and it looked new. Just need to make sure it isn't smokeless oil though.

n01zee
06-10-2008, 05:26 AM
Hey mate, it is possible that the exhaust is robbing some torque. I have a 2l 380hp mk3 with a 3" exhaust and it is lacking slightly on torque untill boost comes on. I think you may find if you go a little smaller on the exhaust that you will loose the top end. it's 50/50 on what yu prefer i guess. good choice though :D

Chris
06-10-2008, 05:51 AM
Hey mate, it is possible that the exhaust is robbing some torque. I have a 2l 380hp mk3 with a 3" exhaust and it is lacking slightly on torque untill boost comes on. I think you may find if you go a little smaller on the exhaust that you will loose the top end. it's 50/50 on what yu prefer i guess. good choice though :D

Alright, hmm. Well, if I did go smaller would a dual exhaust setup work well with an inline motor?

The sound is nice up till about 3k rpm, but after that it gets a bit too ricerish for my tastes.

T-spoon
06-10-2008, 06:00 AM
Alright, hmm. Well, if I did go smaller would a dual exhaust setup work well with an inline motor?

The sound is nice up till about 3k rpm, but after that it gets a bit too ricerish for my tastes.

No, not practical at all. One manifold means in order to make it "dual exhaust" all you'd be doing is splitting it into two mufflers which really has no benefit. I doubt it would make much difference changing the exhaust... maybe a little.

n01zee, of course yours will lack power before boost, turbo motors have lower compression so that they don't explode (yes I know, explode is being overly dramatic :P ) with the higher compression the boost adds. Making your exhaust smaller would not give you more low end power, it would probably make the turbo spool slower and compound the problem. Larger exhaust for turbos usually helps with spool time. His NA 7M is a different animal altogether. However, it's still a 3.0, turbo or not, so 3" is probably more than necessary, but doubt it's going to make a lot of difference on the low RPM side of things.

Chris
06-10-2008, 06:12 AM
No, not practical at all. One manifold means in order to make it "dual exhaust" all you'd be doing is splitting it into two mufflers which really has no benefit. I doubt it would make much difference changing the exhaust... maybe a little.

Well, going back to my somewhat ricer side of things, would if it wouldn't benefit, would it really restict my exhaust?

What do the rest of you N/A guys run, and what achieves that coveted bassy sound?

I'll do some more searching on supraforums tomorrow and see what else I can find out about exhaust options.

T-spoon
06-10-2008, 06:31 AM
It wouldn't restrict anything, but it'd be a lot of work for no benefit. I don't even know what it would sound like, if different at all. Probably having some kind of unified plan on the exhaust would be good. It's all over the place with that header, then 2.5 inch, then 3 inch and a fart can. Just make the whole thing a nice smooth 2.5 inch with a reasonable mellow muffler (no 5inch tip needed..) and it should sound good.

n01zee
06-10-2008, 06:32 AM
the exhaust tone will be determined by the muffler mostly, try a "turbo" muffler. In Nz we have a brand called Coby and they make hot dog shaped mufflers that spin the air in a different way and change the exhaust note (i have been told, whatever it does it works!). If you can find something similar to that you may be in luck.

Chris
06-10-2008, 06:49 AM
It wouldn't restrict anything, but it'd be a lot of work for no benefit. I don't even know what it would sound like, if different at all. Probably having some kind of unified plan on the exhaust would be good. It's all over the place with that header, then 2.5 inch, then 3 inch and a fart can. Just make the whole thing a nice smooth 2.5 inch with a reasonable mellow muffler (no 5inch tip needed..) and it should sound good.

Sounds like a good idea. 2.5 inch all the way.

I'm not gonna lie, the double tip thing would just be for looks. That may be ricerish, but oh well, I think it'd look mean without going over the top.

Thanks though, that gives me a starting point to figure out how to redo my exhaust.

T-spoon
06-10-2008, 06:56 AM
Heh, ricey or not, it's a huge waste of money since the muffler is usually the most expensive part. HOWEVER, if you want to do it and like the look, well, it's your money, so go for it :)

Chris
06-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Well, I guess I didn't realize the coffee cans on the back of our cars costed as much as they did. My bad T-spoon, I didn't realize how much of a waste we were talking about here.

That said thought, Pacesetter has a 2.5 inch exhaust with a dual tip (think GTS) for about 232. Not quite what I was looking for, but I think that'll work.

Most of the mufflers I saw on that site (www.performancecenter.com) were huge.

T-spoon
06-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Sounds like it, that would have kind of a stock look to it (which isn't bad IMO). Anyhoo, wasn't trying to shoot down the dual exhaust, just pointing out cost issues and such.

Chris
06-10-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm going to change the oil today, just to make sure the guy didn't put smokeless oil in there. Do I have to change oil the filter immediately? Or should It be alright for a 30 mile trip?

I'm draining the royal purple and putting synthetic castrol gtx in there. Not sure what the weight on the royal is, I'm gonna throw in 10w-30.

--edit-- Royal Purple was 10w-30 too, so I think I'm alright.

Anyhoo, wasn't trying to shoot down the dual exhaust, just pointing out cost issues and such.

Heh, thanks for it. Sometimes us n00bs need to be kept in between the lines of style and practical.