PDA

View Full Version : FOG Light Mods

mspired13
06-04-2008, 08:39 PM
I have an Integra also, and I have been a member of their message board for awhile. One of the tricks taht they have on there is to remove the glare guards from the foglights. I decided to do this with my 92GTS fogs. I am not sure if it is the same with all the different style of foglights that came with the Celicas, but you can try. All you have to do is act like you are going to change out the bulb. Once you got it safely out of the way...take a piller or just twist off the glare guard. It is the metal piece that looks like it is protecting the bulb. Sorry no pictures. Soon hopefully, for its been about a year since I did this. Once you had removed thie piece, then reinstall. Much brighter. And because they are foglights....the beam does not scatter everywhere and blind other drivers.

ciento44
06-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I wish to hear more about this Integra.... :wiggle:

Conrad_Turbo
06-04-2008, 09:23 PM
And because they are foglights....the beam does not scatter everywhere and blind other drivers.

I have to ask...what does the glare guard do in the first place?

mspired13
06-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Integra is a car I picked up for about $900 before my celica. Nothing special. Just a point A to B car with just a few mods. Its a white 92 4door (structural ridgidy is better then the hatch). Glare guards are used to prevent the light from shooting off everywhere and reduces the amount of light it puts out (think of it as you holding your hand over a flashlight), but the light does not shoot off all over even if you take them off. It just lets more light out. You can see the difference. Not sure why they were placed there by Toyota in the first place if they don't shoot off everywhere? Maybe federal regulations? Easy mod.

Conrad_Turbo
06-05-2008, 04:47 PM
If more light is coming out of the fixture with the glare guard removed then it was obviously blocking it from somewhere, I'd suspect a fog light with no glare guard will allow light to be projected above a horizontal plane which will emit glare to oncoming drivers and the driver of the car itself. Light output is important, but the control of that light is equally just important. Which is why I have replaced my OEM fogs with a projector style fog lamp with the same 55W bulb. A sharp cutoff is important and that's what the OEM glare guard is intended to do.

mspired13
06-05-2008, 08:02 PM
That makes sense. But before I took it off, I already had a foggy cutoff, there was no real clear cutoff. When I took off the glare guards, it had more light with the same pattern. It is mounted so low that it does not shoot light into other drivers point of view or where you don't want them to go. I toohate it when people's lights are not adjusted right. I should had taken before and after pictures. I will take a trip to the junk and see if I can pull out the glareguards off a doner and replace them and take before and after pictures. But I must agree, Projectors are the way to go. Does anybody know where I can get the insert for the JDM GT4 rounded foglight? I have a 92 with the USDM AllTrac grill, and it just looks funny with it removed.