PDA

View Full Version : WalMart's Gumont Fuel System Treatment

mspired13
06-03-2008, 08:51 PM
So I got bored this past weekend and needed to take my nieces to WalMart. I knew they will take forever so I decided to wander through the auto section. I saw that it cost only $20 so I figured, what the heck. So I handed them the key. The tech told me that it will take about 30min. I watched them as they did it. What it turned out to be is that it is a cleaner similar to SeaFoam (the stuff that we all so love). I had SeaFoamed my motor before, but usually just stuck a hose into it to suck out the liquid, causing my motor to die. Then start it back up. What WalMart does is that they hang the bottle and let it drip into the manifold. They used my PCV hole. It slowly dripped inside the maifold, and istead of the motor dying and the a big smoke screen, it idled and small continous amount of smoke came out. After about 30 min, it was done. They left me a bottle of fuel system cleaner in my car to add to the gas later when I filled up (haven't put it in, because I had just dumped a bottle of CRC Pass Emission bottle into it about 2 weeks before; real good stuff by the way). I noticed that my idle was smooth, the pull was strong, and it liked to rev pass 5000 rpm without hesitation. Of course results will vary, as my GTS was neglected by its previous owner. The intake pipe had cracked and sucked in dirt mixing with gas and oil and all that gunk...so my throttle body, manifold, and valves were all really dirty. Runs much smoother....revs much faster and easier...and maybe 1-2mpg difference. My advice. Go buy a can of SeaFoam for about $6 and do it yourself, or pay $10 for somebody else to do it for you (factoring in the cost of the cleaner+the cost of the fuel system cleaner you put in the tank). Just wanted to share!

Ads28
06-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Yeah i seafoamed my car not to long ago..didnt do much..guess it wasnt dirty?...But that style fuel system cleaning is the old style..atleast at the walmart im at its the old style, which in my mind is the better one...the new one is an airisol can that sprays shit into the intake, instead of letting it suck or drip in..and takes about 5mins aposed to 20-30mins..soo if your gunno go to wally world, make sure to ask which one theyre useing..if its the 5min one stay away I feel bad when I do Fuel cleanings with that one, makes the engine knock and rock so bad

And damn thats cheap:P Ma store charges 55$ for a fuel cleaning

505celicaGT
06-04-2008, 06:09 AM
jiffy lube charges 50-60 to do that from what i remember. they let it drip for 10 min (half bottle) than spray the TB out and add some to the tank...and run it til the smoke clears. as a ex employee that method is ghetto.. they hammer your car to the ground.. just wanted to share that info as well.. DIY i think is better if you know what you are doing =)

mspired13
06-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Wow! $50+!! That is too expensive!! That's like almost five cans of SeaFoam!! See WalMart is not too bad...make sure whoever does it, is the lead tech and not the oil change guy. Sorry if anybody works as the oil changer at WalMart...bad experience before.

itzdark
06-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Wow! $50+!! That is too expensive!! That's like almost five cans of SeaFoam!! See WalMart is not too bad...make sure whoever does it, is the lead tech and not the oil change guy. Sorry if anybody works as the oil changer at WalMart...bad experience before.

ive worked in 2 walmart tle's and i just wanted to clear up that there is no seperate positions in the shop.
you got the tle shop manager, tle support manager, and tle techs. You basically jump in where you can when you get to work (everyone does everything). now it may vary by location but this is how it worked in the two stores ive worked at. as for asking for the lead tech they would probably just put w/e manager is out there on it, which from my experience can know less about cars than some of the tech's. Best bet is to know someone at the shop that you trust.
as a side note if you go to walmart i wouldn't really worry about them messing your car up because when they do they will have you take it where you want to get repaired and then cover the costs.

oh and there is a special at walmart right now if you get a pennzoil high mileage oil change and the gumout fuel system treatment it will cost you like 59 and some change and you can mail in your receipt to pennzoil to get a $20 walmart gift card but make sure you ask if they have this offer before you buy the stuff cause they may not be a participating store

mspired13
06-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Thanks for clearing that up. I did talk to the shop manager, and he was very nice and knowledgable. I didn't mean to make it sound like WalMart is bad, I just think it was a bad supervisor and shop. They messed up my oilpan and tried to tell me that whoever did my oilchange before messed it up. It had always gone to them. This shop that I had the fuel system done at was much better. They knew what they were doing, and they were clean and friendly! A+ Sorry if I offended anybody :(

celica9303
06-05-2008, 02:15 AM
The walmart fuel cleanis very good I used to work there and it the same as my current job but we charge 80 dollars t do it lol but I'm going to a mitsu dealer in 10 days yeah +1 for walmart