PDA

View Full Version : Very low Mpg Help me

Guillercha
06-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Hello I have problem with the fuel consumption of my Celica, believe that the cost is very high and need to find the solution, either I have changed the filters, cleans the injectors, change the oxygen sensor , realise tune up and follows equal please if they can help me, This is consumption record

Hiko
06-03-2008, 11:40 PM
With those numbers, it almost seems like you might be leaking fuel. I would definitely check that.

Do you mean that you have done all those things to your car already? (O2 sensor, filters, etc.) Or do you mean you are going to? Those are a good place to start after checking for fuel leaks, and add checking the tire pressure and alignment to the list.

I assume you are driving conservatively to save gas? If you have a manual, one thing to note is that it's better to drive between ~2200 and ~2900 rpm to save gas. Below that, and you are loading the engine too much to be efficient. When I was told that, I picked up 3 mpg by using a higher gear at times.

Good luck fixing it! That is by far the worst mpg I've ever seen reported for a celica.

Guillercha
06-04-2008, 12:26 AM
Yes I already working all the possible check and also we did a measurement of gases and this perfect one to him, it does not seem to have fuel leaks, but I also think the fuel leks is in some place that is not let see, the car I only use the saturdays and Driving efficiently, tomorrow will take my car to a new mechanic to see if they find the problem, I hope to have to much luck.

Thanks and sorry for my english.. i place in Costa Rica :-)

AznKlique
06-04-2008, 12:33 AM
Did you check your timing? How about your distributor cap and rotor, or even spark plugs and wires? I recently replaced my distributor cap and rotor and found a significant increase in mpg. Do a compression check on your engine as well.

Ghosty
06-04-2008, 12:42 AM
When checking for fuel leaks, make sure to check a couple of spots:

1) Fuel filler neck. This is the tube that sends your gas to the gas tank when you fill up. This has a tendency to rust.

2) The fuel tank itself. The bolts that hold the rear seat belts to the car body go right through the body, and rub against the fuel tank on the bottom. Celicas have small foam pads to prevent the bolts from rubbing the tank, but these pads can corrode and move, leaving the tank unprotected.

3) All fuel lines. Get under the car and follow the fuel line with your hands. If you notice any wetness, make a note of that.

Guillercha
06-04-2008, 02:21 AM
sparks plus wires and rotor new... tomorrow check fuel leaks.. thanks

extremeskillz
06-04-2008, 02:25 AM
To make you feel better....I have a fuel leak as well :(. You will know you have a leak when you smell fuel inside the car. But let your car run and check underneath. You will see it dripping as it runs.

H8PVMNT
06-04-2008, 03:01 AM
I am using Nology hotwires and noticed a 1.5 mpg increase over good stock wires after installing them. Another trick I just installed is an underdrive pulley. I have been getting 30-32 mpg with the 2.2 so far as long as I keep it 75 mph and under. If I drive 80 mpg plus I was getting like 22 mpg. What I noticed after installing the underdrive pulley is an increase in mpg above 80 mph. Now I can drive like a dummy and still get 28-30 mpg!
You clearly have some other issue but I just thought I'd add my findings on these products if you are on a quest for fuel economy...
Wheel ON! :bigthumbu

CelicaDudeMO
06-04-2008, 03:37 AM
well right now when i try to get my best possible MPG my newly rebuit 1.6 4AFE engine can get 42 mpg. and i still need to get new air filter,new ignition wires, new fuel filter, and check the tire pressure. i have given up tring to make my car fast, now i jsut rest easy knowing i can drive really freaking far on one tank.

aballz
06-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Weight issue possible? Is your trunk fully loaded?

Shadowlife25
06-05-2008, 01:21 AM
It might help to pinpoint possible causes if you had an emissions sheet.

Guillercha
06-07-2008, 01:20 AM
i know that it caused to the problem, the wire of the oxygensenso was broken and for that reason it gave bad readings to the computer of the vehicle… today replaces the wire and i I want to see if this solves the problem, thanks all for its opinions