PDA

View Full Version : Down Shifting

Uncrck2
06-03-2008, 03:02 AM
Ok so i know I down shift to brake as well as a lot of people with stick but here is my question to all... do u think it is worth the wear on the tranny over the wear on brake pads. How bad is down shifting for ur tranny cuz i only down shift on my celica never in my bmw te brakes r real tight but mosty my dad says not to down shift in the bmw so wats all ur input on this?

Ads28
06-03-2008, 03:14 AM
well as long as u know how to downshift, and match RPM's i cant see it being harsh on the tranny, i always downshift while brakeing *shrug*...best of both worlds? haha i dunno

Lonestag
06-03-2008, 03:15 AM
I have been downshifting around turns since I've been able to drive. I've worn through pleanty of clutches though. So I guess it's kinda up to the driver.

Kastigir
06-03-2008, 03:17 AM
Brakes are cheaper than clutches. If you're coming to a stop, downshifting is pointless and accounts for more wear. Also keep in mind that idling uses less gas.

KoreanJoey
06-03-2008, 03:20 AM
Also keep in mind that idling uses less gas.

Actually idle doesn't... coasting w/ no throttle is 0% from the injectors but if you're at idle the ECU adds fuel.

Cavanagh
06-03-2008, 05:30 AM
I agree, pads and MUCH cheaper then a trans or clutch. If im coming to a stop i always just throw it in neutral and hit the brake.

KoreanJoey
06-03-2008, 05:43 AM
I don't put my car in neutral unless I'm stopped.. I heal-toe downshift, I haven't blasted any clutches but I'm also on like trans #3 so my advice isn't really useful.

Slider
06-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Unless it's for a turn, I don't downshift. If I'm city driving and I'm in 3rd or 4th gear, I'll just leave it in that gear and engine brake down to 2000rpms then throw it in neutral and use my brakes. I'd rather replace the brake pads sooner than the clutch.

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
06-03-2008, 02:20 PM
I mostly pop it in neutral and use my brakes but some times i will downshift while holding the clutch in and use my brakes just in case something happens at the spur of the moment and i need to use the gas to get out the way..that has actually saved me car a time or two...

ciento44
06-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Dude.... for least wear and tear, downshift without clutch!!!

Oh hrmmm... yeah... that whole synchro thing. I should look into that.

The problem is that you guys aren't double clutching like you should. :hehe:

T-spoon
06-03-2008, 04:09 PM
I downshift all the time. I find it's handy when I need to get into a lower gear than the one I'm in.

:hehe:

ciento44
06-03-2008, 04:11 PM
I downshift all the time. I find it's handy when I need to get into a lower gear than the one I'm in.

:hehe:

Dude, how do i do that?!?!

T-spoon
06-03-2008, 04:14 PM
Dude, how do i do that?!?!

You don't really need to. Just learn how to start in 4th or 5th gear. It's hell on the tranny/clutch, but at least you don't have to downshift.

Conrad_Turbo
06-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Brakes are designed to slow down a car, a transmission is designed to accelerate it. If you are slowing down, use your brakes. If you plan on exiting a corner under acceleration, then that's the purpose of downshifting while braking (heel-toe downshifting). Using the brakes while the car is in gear reduces weight distribution disruption and allows for quicker driver response (either slowing or speeding up the car) and usually when exiting a corner. I always laugh when I see people downshift to a stop sign or red light...

Insan3
06-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Brakes are designed to slow down a car, a transmission is designed to accelerate it. If you are slowing down, use your brakes. If you plan on exiting a corner under acceleration, then that's the purpose of downshifting while braking (heel-toe downshifting). Using the brakes while the car is in gear reduces weight distribution disruption and allows for quicker driver response (either slowing or speeding up the car) and usually when exiting a corner. I always laugh when I see people downshift to a stop sign or red light...

couldnt put it any better