PDA

View Full Version : Mud Flaps

Simonhla
06-02-2008, 10:12 PM
What's the general consensus on the stock celica mud flaps for a 5th Gen? I have a white 92 GT coupe and I have never even considered taking them off. That said they are fairly scuffed and battered. Analyzing some of the pics on here it looks like most people have taken theirs off but it's hard to tell. Does the car really look a lot better without them? And are they easy for a mechanical numbskull like myself to get off?

ciento44
06-02-2008, 10:19 PM
What's the general consensus on the stock celica mud flaps for a 5th Gen? I have a white 92 GT coupe and I have never even considered taking them off. That said they are fairly scuffed and battered. Analyzing some of the pics on here it looks like most people have taken theirs off but it's hard to tell. Does the car really look a lot better without them? And are they easy for a mechanical numbskull like myself to get off?

It's uhmm.... 3 phillips head screws.

I like them with. I have them on all mine. They're slightly battered but not too bad. They actually seem to be in high demand lately. I've been salvaging all of the remotely salvagable ones from junkyards to try to work back to nice.

19celica90
06-02-2008, 10:24 PM
I've been salvaging all of the remotely salvagable ones from junkyards to try to work back to nice.
speaking of, where are mine?! You never called bia, or was it cuz there wasnt any "maroon" ones out there :)

ciento44
06-02-2008, 10:38 PM
speaking of, where are mine?! You never called bia, or was it cuz there wasnt any "maroon" ones out there :)

I lefted your number on my desk.

I did manage to get a decent pair of baby blue ones. They do have a small chunky scrape thing on the outside of one of them. I'll take a pic of them tonite and see if i can remember to bring my camera to work. I have to get Cannon some pics, anyways of those DA seats. I may be able to fix that one flap easily, i'm going to try something on it. And if not, whatever, i've got one that's in really good shape, now i just need another lol. :)

There WAS actually a maroon one out there.... maroon coupe with a nifty aftermarket moonroof.

Simonhla
06-02-2008, 10:41 PM
It's uhmm.... 3 phillips head screws.

I like them with. I have them on all mine. They're slightly battered but not too bad. They actually seem to be in high demand lately. I've been salvaging all of the remotely salvagable ones from junkyards to try to work back to nice.

3 Phillips head screws? Crickey...I might have managed it had it been two. Sounds like a job for a professional.

I'll probably just leave them on seeing as I have never had an issue with them before. I just found it curious how everyone on here seems to have removed theirs.

extremeskillz
06-02-2008, 10:43 PM
They removed them because they too cause rust in the wheel wells over time from build up of moisture and dirt.

ciento44
06-02-2008, 10:54 PM
3 Phillips head screws? Crickey...I might have managed it had it been two. Sounds like a job for a professional.

I'll probably just leave them on seeing as I have never had an issue with them before. I just found it curious how everyone on here seems to have removed theirs.

Srsly dude. It took me almost 2 minutes to get all the mudflaps and side skirts of a 91 Vert yesterday.

celicaGT90_05
06-02-2008, 11:34 PM
I honestly prefer the look with them off, unless on a rally cross celica. I have some, and considered using them, but overally they just arent gonna fit what I want to achieve, so I sold them. But yes, they are real easy to get off

Simonhla
06-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Srsly dude. It took me almost 2 minutes to get all the mudflaps and side skirts of a 91 Vert yesterday.

Ok I take it you didn't notice I was being sarcastic. Lol

Simonhla
06-03-2008, 12:35 AM
They removed them because they too cause rust in the wheel wells over time from build up of moisture and dirt.

Ok that's interesting. Luckily I live In Cali so there's not much rain here so I have had a lot of luck with getting no rust on the car. That said I am definitely going to take them off if only just to clean them out and check the wheel wells. Thanks.

ciento44
06-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Ok I take it you didn't notice I was being sarcastic. Lol

Oh no... i did. That was two minutes of my life wasted that i could have saved if i went to a mechanic, man.

ciento44
06-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Ok that's interesting. Luckily I live In Cali so there's not much rain here so I have had a lot of luck with getting no rust on the car. That said I am definitely going to take them off if only just to clean them out and check the wheel wells. Thanks.

I pulled all kinds of cool stuff out of mine. The inner fenders were much more entertaining to remove, dead animals and such.

Simonhla
06-03-2008, 06:54 PM
I pulled all kinds of cool stuff out of mine. The inner fenders were much more entertaining to remove, dead animals and such.

Dead animals? Damn....that's pretty f'd up. One could probably shed a few pounds on the car then if they cleaned out the fenders lol. I'll have to look into it.

ciento44
06-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Dead animals? Damn....that's pretty f'd up. One could probably shed a few pounds on the car then if they cleaned out the fenders lol. I'll have to look into it.

Mostly bones and feathers at that point, but it was interesting. Probably a couple pounds of leaves and rocks, too.

There was about 3 pounds of broken glass pellets in the car, too. And down a bunch of the interior panels. Pretty cool.

I'll have to post up some up-to-date pics of the car. You'll probably laugh at how much of a POS it is. Aaron (vikingJZ) can vouch for it firsthand.

5SFE
06-03-2008, 07:43 PM
The mud flaps came as a package with the alloy wheels and the foglights. Mk.II 92-93 models came with them colour coded.

I can vouch for finding untold debris inside the front fenders, no dead animals, but a few dozen chestnuts and a definite nest