PDA

View Full Version : Time for a funeral?

Lonestag
06-01-2008, 04:42 AM
So I think I might have finally killed her.
I was driving a gravel ridge road today, and the overheating problem came back in a big way. By the time I was able to get some water into it, the damage was done. My distributer cap literally had melted off, I think I lost another spark plug wire. The engine is sounds really bad, like a rod is off and I barely limped it home.

So at this point, it's probebly a choice between a new engine or new car.

I wouldn't mind putting it on proverbial blocks and waiting untill I can fix
all the things wrong with it, but honestly there is so much that needs to be done, I might need to just get another one and start clean...

Here is what i'm looking at:

The bad:

190k miles
Both rear wheel wells are rusted out
Will need a new engine
Needs new Clutch
Needs new brakes
Needs a windshield
Needs a new exaust
Needs Paint
Interior is not that great

The good:
New tires,
I still love her....

So yeah, I'm thinking I might need to find a new one
But it will be real hard to find one I want in good condition for cheap...

geebes
06-01-2008, 06:47 AM
Or the obvious answer...3sgte swap.

VikingJZ
06-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Rust sucks. I had so much wrong with my 90 GT when I sold it aesthetically and slightly mechanically that I hunted for a new one. I couldn't find exactly what I wanted in my price range, but then came across a killer deal on my SC300 and would have been stupid if I passed on it. So, I bought that and don't regret it.

Take a day or two and make a pro/con list between your current car and another vehicle (any car) and think about. That is, only do so if this is a special car to you.

My 90 GT was hard to let go because it was my first car and I had driven it many places.

Lonestag
06-01-2008, 05:14 PM
I'd love to go 3sgte swap, but I think i'm more inclined to grab a 3rd gen 3sge and find a really nice 5s bottem end to drop on. (5sge ftw)

geebes
06-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Will you be rocking some Mushroomhead nonetheless??

Lonestag
06-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Hah, your the first person to recognize that logo.
Mushroomhead is my favorite band, so yeah, i'll be rocking them for a long time to come. I'm considering getting the window decal for the tercel i'm getting here soon, but none the less.

Maybe next celica I get will be a 89, I like those 88-89 GTS's

geebes
06-01-2008, 09:25 PM
^those are kewl. Do a 6th gen...they hold a special place in my heart for some reason.

I've always wanted to see a 6th gen vert with a gtfour front end.

Lonestag
06-02-2008, 12:33 PM
There is a 6th gen needing some tlc in a local backyard dealership. Maybe I'll bring picks later...

ciento44
06-02-2008, 03:09 PM
It's pretty easy to find decent 5th gens for cheap. Easier than 4th gens, i think.

I got mine for $600, and yeah, it's not the prettiest thing in the world, but that's mainly my fault at this point, and it's getting better quickly. Plus, and the most important part to me, it's completely rust free.

Lonestag
06-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I hate body rot, it's so hard to do a good job getting rid of it...
The only thing is that the 4th gens were the ones I fell in love with first.

I wish I could just start a farm where all the gens of celicas could just roam free in their natural habitat...

Seriously though, i'll probebly own one of all the gens eventualy (except maybe 1st, 2nd and 7th). They are all sweet in their own right.