PDA

View Full Version : Can i Rip the A/c System out to save weight?

tekstep01
05-31-2008, 09:05 AM
i just wanna sve weight,gas and clean up the power plant is this even do-able for a nube 2 FF?

extremeskillz
05-31-2008, 01:12 PM
Your only saving..........about maybe 30lbs so if you seriously don't want to stay cool around the summer then go right ahead! I barely use mine but it nice on the muggy days!

tekstep01
05-31-2008, 05:16 PM
yeah your probably right but i have this feeling, its worth it.... i never use it anyway... hmmmn... (Thinking bout it)

celicaGT90_05
05-31-2008, 05:31 PM
well, you can take it out, but you must first have someone licensed to remove the refridgerant from the system, otherwise it's highly illegal. Oh and 30 pounds can make more of a difference than you may realize, though on a daily driven car you might not notice a big difference

tekstep01
06-01-2008, 01:29 AM
yeah, i can see that... btw..theres no refregerant in it i checked... totally de-pressureized! a possibility, now i assume?

celicaGT90_05
06-01-2008, 01:51 AM
as long as it is, then yeah you can do that no problem. There will also be oil in the system though, Im not sure if it has a reciever drier or an accumulator though, but thats where it would be

tekstep01
06-01-2008, 01:53 AM
hmmn, cool ill look into it.. its a 3s-ge! i donnu bout the accumulator though...

celicaGT90_05
06-01-2008, 01:55 AM
hmmn, cool ill look into it.. its a 3s-ge! i donnu bout the accumulator though...

it'll have one or the other, just look for something in the system that looks like a container

tekstep01
06-01-2008, 02:26 AM
aight

ciento44
06-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Take a pre-game dump, too.

tekstep01
06-02-2008, 07:36 PM
word!

The Captain
06-03-2008, 05:15 AM
Nothing like going on a date in your sweatbox. That'll impress her!

tekstep01
06-03-2008, 07:53 PM
thats right sweatbox that goes zero to sixty under 6 sec...... love that valve lift........
respect the hatchi"!!!!!

ciento44
06-03-2008, 08:05 PM
thats right sweatbox that goes zero to sixty under 6 sec...... love that valve lift........
respect the hatchi"!!!!!

Hrmm..... and just how do you plan on getting it that fast?

VikingJZ
06-03-2008, 08:25 PM
He's using the ass dyno too.

Very accurate you know.

505celicaGT
06-04-2008, 06:15 AM
most of the oil were in the condensor and evap. it wasnt much though. just beshure to plug that hole in the fire wall GOOD or you will have water problems.you loose like 30 pounds and the rad will have better flow. so ya swamp box dont blow up when ya takin ya girl on a date.!
P.S is your car black?

does anyone know Why the A/c button (on/off) idles down the engine? i figure why would it do that if it isn't under load?

Mr Celica
06-05-2008, 01:08 AM
i go 0-60 in 5.5 with some ice cold climate controlled A/C

:)

and thats stock!!

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
06-05-2008, 07:05 PM
does anyone know Why the A/c button (on/off) idles down the engine? i figure why would it do that if it isn't under load?

The engine is under load because the engine is what drives the a/c...When you turn on your a/c the clutch kicks in and a belt hooked to the engine drives the a/c.

Unarmed
06-05-2008, 11:04 PM
and if your ac dont work like mine then all it does is robs power, and adds 30LBS of shit to the front of my car (probably more including refrigerant).

Mr Celica
06-05-2008, 11:04 PM
it also kicks out at full throttle, btw

Unarmed
06-05-2008, 11:06 PM
huh? you mean it dont work at full throttle? well at least toyota thought of that.

Unarmed
06-05-2008, 11:07 PM
bleh I think if I were to fix it I would have to run a heat exchanger to the intake on my car :P gotta add more complexity than necessary.

Mr Celica
06-05-2008, 11:16 PM
every AC system is like that, it cuts out at WOT or hard acceleration. i believe the alternator does, too.

Unarmed
06-05-2008, 11:20 PM
I have run without an alternator before. I can assure you the alternator still functions at WOT.

without the alternator the ignition, and fuel systems takes a chunk of power. especially with the stereo blasting.

Corey Darling
06-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Not worth it IMO.

You can loose the weight else where: Lighter battery, downpipe, aluminum rad.

A/C rules.

You will save maybe 30 pounds max.

Trance4c
06-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Not worth it either..

but your talking to someone that hasn't had A/C in my Celica for about 4 years.

I did it mainly because my car is rice.

I pull the engine in and out all the time, the paint is far from perfect, I nick it.. whatever.

I have the holes in my trunk covered by black electrical tape.

Anyway.. point being, no, you don't want to do this.

I live in FL and I daily drove that for near 3 years, it was great. Few tips -

Do it only if you have a sunroof
Make sure you have the JDM window deflector pieces.. major A++ in the rain factor, otherwise it will roll in with any other celica once you roll down the window.

Fogging will be an issue. You will have to provide yourself some sort of inlet in the firewall for air to at least pass through, and you will want to channel it or have open vents of some sort. Whatever you can do..

but no, its not just as easy as ripping it out, at the same time, it is, just pull it all out.

The choice is up to you, I don't daily drive my celica anymore, so its not a big deal to me. FOG-X and RAIN-X are you new best friend, keep two bottles in the glove box.

Otherwise, you can do it :)

Be ware to be cold.

Unarmed
06-06-2008, 12:01 AM
my A/C doesn't work and if I had the money to convert it to the new shit (noone here will fill it with the old stuff), I would rather buy new front shocks so my car doesn't bounce up and down every time I hit a bump in the road. I usually drive with my windows down and my sunroof open anyway.

my defrosters suck so rain-x is my best friend. It works almost as good as fog-x at combating window fogging. I have two bottles of the window cleaner / rain-x stuff so I dont have to clean and dry the windows to apply it. I always apply it in and out.

wakkjobb
06-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Oh, for Pete's sake! Just tear that crap out already! You got windows, right? There's your a/c right there! I removed all of mine (condenser was gone when I got the car) including the big aluminum box in the dash, by the heater core.

That was not too fun...
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h57/trialsindan/acremoval5.jpg

Yes, the entire dash needs to be removed...
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h57/trialsindan/acremoval.jpg

But it's worth it to get more clearance for a front mount intercooler:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h57/trialsindan/FMIC012.jpg
Thanks, Saab!

Just yapping away...
Dan

davmac
06-06-2008, 09:52 PM
I've replace about 6 heater cores over the years - never much fun. I'd never bother removing the evaporator coils just because I was pulling the AC out. Just remove the exterior parts and be happy.

tekstep01
06-14-2008, 06:30 AM
yeah i know i can lose weight else where kick out the carpets... rip the backseat.... pull all useless shit but, it almost dont matter unless im making it a track car, and at this point, im planning to make it a project ride....... im buying another celica same year.. dif. model st, or gt.... gonna save this one for parts... and all the GTS shit.... so fuck it.....

Denver_whiteST185
06-14-2008, 06:43 AM
if you actually rip out all the stuff under the glovebox, you'll save a bit more than 30 lbs. all together.

Murgatroy
06-14-2008, 07:50 AM
I haven't had A/C on Chaos for years.

It never worked anyways. I physically removed most of the pieces a few years ago when I did the timing belt.

A/C is for pussies. :hehe:

tekstep01
06-14-2008, 08:17 AM
thats right !! HELLA PROPS TO THE A/C-LESS!

Denver_whiteST185
06-14-2008, 08:49 AM
mine was ripped out because it didn't ever work, and whats the point of that shinny $600 radiator if theres a A/C radiator infront of it....

celicaGT90_05
06-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Not worth it IMO.

You can loose the weight else where: Lighter battery, downpipe, aluminum rad.

A/C rules.

You will save maybe 30 pounds max.

and with what you listed you save what? 5 pounds? 30 looks quite good in comparison

tekstep01
06-15-2008, 12:37 AM
alright but how do i rid myself of the compressor.... i have it on there and it takes up the slack for the drive belt....do i get a shorter belt or what? do i gotta keep it on there its pretty useless....

tekstep01
06-15-2008, 12:49 AM
anyway im in sunny so-cal... and i never even have OWNED a car with A/C...... i drive my girls honda thats got a/c but shes a girl and she "needs it" Me IMA FUCKING GUY.... MY first car was an 83, celica ST coupe with a 22r, and it just had a blower it didnt even come with A/C new..........andwhen i drive the miata and the heat just pours out the shift boot, the vents and shit... The A/C dont even work in that shit... when the tops down it isnt bad at all but fuck when its up... thats a sweat-box......my celi isnt as closed quarters so its pretty cool unless i park in the sun.....
WORD TO THE WISE.... A/C makes your ass cool but it costs more than a couple pennys on that 450 a gallon gas.... who gives? not I!!!! so what do i do with the a/c compresser on my drive belt??????

Rick89GTS
06-15-2008, 07:56 AM
You remove the AC compressor and get the shorter drive belt for cars without AC. Then pack up all that AC shit and send it to me b/c I'm trying to retrofit AC into my 86 GTS!

tekstep01
06-15-2008, 10:12 AM
yeah im down you really want it????.. my a/c rad is FUC***KED!!!..
but the rest its yours.. can i ship it to you COLLECT??? lol... yeah im about to transplant the motor in the next few weeks so seriously tell me what you want and i will send it your way...... for nothing...as long as you pay shipping...

tekstep01
06-15-2008, 10:13 AM
so what do i tell the parts store.. i got a 87' celica... without AC??? will that work???

Fuelish
06-15-2008, 09:00 PM
WORD TO THE WISE.... A/C makes your ass cool but it costs more than a couple pennys on that 450 a gallon gas.... who gives? not I!!!! so what do i do with the a/c compresser on my drive belt?????? FWIW, highway driving using a/c uses less gas than driving with windows down/sunroof open - there's less wind resistance with all windows closed, enough less to offset slight increase in gas use using a/c. Granted, this doesn't apply to around town driving, and yeah, mpg using a/c in the city will suffer.
With that said, I prefer having a/c to the meager weight savings .... if you're that concerned with weight, just drive around with no more than a quarter of a tank of gas, max - you'll save yourself, oh, ummmm... close to 70 lbs (gas weighs a lil over 6#/gal) compared to a full tank....and it's a "free" mod ;)

Rick89GTS
06-16-2008, 02:07 AM
yeah im down you really want it????.. my a/c rad is FUC***KED!!!..
but the rest its yours.. can i ship it to you COLLECT??? lol... yeah im about to transplant the motor in the next few weeks so seriously tell me what you want and i will send it your way...... for nothing...as long as you pay shipping...
I've got the AC rad, dryer and some of the hoses, so I'd mainly just need the hoses and maybe the compressor. I'm working on a local source first (saves shipping $$$) but if that falls through, I will definitely get back to you on this. Thanks!

PS, yeah, you can tell the parts store it's for the non-AC Celica. Ask them to bring out both to compare lengths and ask if it's returnable in case it doesn't fit.

Rick89GTS
06-22-2008, 07:09 PM
tekstep01, sent you a PM regarding the AC stuff :)