PDA

View Full Version : 5sfe adjustable cam gear

beingblueeyes
05-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Iíve been lurking around this forum long enough to have read about people making a adjustable cam gear for the 5sfe out of a 2jz gear but has something come of it? has anyone on here ever tuned a 5sfe with a adjustable cam gear? if so whatís the best setting. and would it also be possible to more the rpm rang up by using one?

MrTurrari
05-31-2008, 02:43 AM
I'm the only person I know who has done this mod but I have not ever tuned it. I put it on there with the idea that it would give me that flexibility in the future and also because it is aluminum and so lighter then the stock one.

It's not likely you will be able to get much more RPMs out of it because it won't change the overall duration. Maybe just a little if you delay the intake valve closing but since you are also opening it later it won't be a lot. I think it would more have the effect of shifting power around in the existing powerband.

beingblueeyes
05-31-2008, 04:45 PM
home much did you have to machine out of th 2jz center hole to have it fit a 5s cam?

MrTurrari
05-31-2008, 05:13 PM
It didn't take much... maybe 0.010-0.020" from the center hole but it is important to keep it centered so I let my machine shop do it. You also may want to take some off the mating surface because it sticks out a little further. I didn't do that but was still able to move the timing covers around a little so it does rub.

beingblueeyes
05-31-2008, 07:59 PM
nice thats not to hard and it should take to long to machine

H8PVMNT
05-31-2008, 09:22 PM
I used an adjustable timing gear on a 22re in a toyota pickup. I had to fool with it a little but It really did help.
:bigthumbu Driving impressions: Maybe not more power overall but it definately moved the peak around and changed the personality of the tourque curve. I used it to help develope more power in the lower RPMs and it crawled like a champ and drove alot better on the highway pulling passes as well. Probably the opposite of what you would do with a Celica, but the point I'm trying to make is that they do work.

beingblueeyes
06-01-2008, 07:06 PM
no H8PVMNT driving impressions are always good thing to know about, what brand did you use? witch brings me to my next question, if down the road i picked up a set of 2jz cam gears on ebay or somthing and hade both machined out to spec would anyone here want to buy the other one from me so im not stuck with a extra?

H8PVMNT
06-02-2008, 01:37 AM
no H8PVMNT driving impressions are always good thing to know about, what brand did you use? witch brings me to my next question, if down the road i picked up a set of 2jz cam gears on ebay or somthing and hade both machined out to spec would anyone here want to buy the other one from me so im not stuck with a extra?

The cam gear I used was from LC Engineering, who specializes in high performance engines for the Toyota pickups with the 22r and 22re. They also have stroker cranks, high performance heads and other cool things. I wish they would branch out into the NA celica heads.

I might be interested in the cam gear, how much do you need for it?

beingblueeyes
06-02-2008, 01:48 AM
i dont know yet, im just planing ahead, but when i do get it all set and buy some and have the machine work done ill pm you

H8PVMNT
06-02-2008, 03:48 AM
Sound like a plan... :bigthumbu

presure2
06-02-2008, 11:39 AM
just so you guys know, ATS can machine you an adjustable gear from a stock one, IIRC aaron quoted me 110$.

beingblueeyes
06-02-2008, 11:23 PM
thats not a bad price

beingblueeyes
06-03-2008, 02:04 AM
were is ATS based out of? and how dose one get ahold of "IIRC aaron" also how old is that price (is it a friend price or an everyone price?)

grayscale
06-03-2008, 02:12 AM
IIRC = if I remember correctly ;)

ATS is one of our site vendors/sponsors, so check out their forum and get all the info you need. You can call them at 940-293-1338 or check their site at www.atsracing.net.

beingblueeyes
06-04-2008, 01:41 AM
thanks man

extremeskillz
06-04-2008, 02:05 AM
ATS is one of our site vendors/sponsors, so check out their forum and get all the info you need. You can call them at 940-293-1338 or check their site at www.atsracing.net.

That read like a commercial!