PDA

View Full Version : toyota cavalier parts on the way

spaztheweird1
05-30-2008, 08:12 PM
my girl has the ecotec 2.2l by gm and i was looking for stock bumpers and side skirts and came a crossed a Toyota cavalier so for her birthday mom order them i think its a nice touch ... any ways i think its weird how Toyota would team up with gm?? but would that make the car a Toyota to?? i see alot of cav with trd on them??? i dont know what you guys out look on it.

Murgatroy
05-30-2008, 08:16 PM
GM tried selling the Cavalier in Japan.

It didn't sell well.

GM allowed Toyota to badge it as a Toyota, and then it sold better.

GM and Toyota have teamed up many times in the past. Ever heard of the `80's Chevy Nova? It was a Toyota Corolla.

Geo (GM) Prism? Chevy Prism? It was a Corolla as well.

Lots of Domestic companies have rebadged Japanese cars for sale domestically.

Luni
05-30-2008, 08:17 PM
WHa?

Never heard of a Toyota Cavalier

spaztheweird1
05-30-2008, 08:22 PM
i read about it and found alot out but its just weird i think idk i do think its kinda cool cause the body parts of the car are different in little ways to make it look different but still have a clean stock look it would be nice if toyota team with gm to make a new ecotec motor that lil thing is sick if toyota would work with them it would be a bad ass motor i would think

ciento44
05-30-2008, 08:35 PM
i read about it and found alot out but its just weird i think idk i do think its kinda cool cause the body parts of the car are different in little ways to make it look different but still have a clean stock look it would be nice if toyota team with gm to make a new ecotec motor that lil thing is sick if toyota would work with them it would be a bad ass motor i would think

Why would toyota work with gm to make a new ecotec? GM already sells parts and has a catalog that lets you take that sucker to 1000+hp.

VikingJZ
05-30-2008, 08:38 PM
But....its still from GM.

ciento44
05-30-2008, 08:44 PM
But....its still from GM.

But....... YO FACE.

If i get the Toybaru Prezlica, you'd best believe i'll be ordering ALL the body parts from Japan to make it a Toyota.

19celica90
05-30-2008, 08:57 PM
yeah i found this out about a year ago, now all my friends call my car a chevy :( for shits and giggles. But yeah, like previously stated US companies allow Japanese companies to re-badge their cars to sell in Asian markets. And vice-versa. I've seen some companies that import rhd cars actually have the toyota cavalier in stock to import to america :lolhittin Ever seen a right hand drive Ford Mustang??? They got them too, i should try to find the site that shows the Toyota Cavalier and RHD Mustang.

But i guess the biggest difference in the two Cavaliers is, the Toyota version has a much more refined interior. Leather was an option, i believe all accessories were power, and you had a nicer selection of wheels too.

extremeskillz
05-30-2008, 08:58 PM
^I was thinking the same!

spaztheweird1
05-30-2008, 09:15 PM
yea ok a the ecotec can hit 1000 hp but will it last longer then 200 thousand miles NO!!! its a gm lol if Toyota build one with them we would have insane power and life long motor lol just think out the box here ppl take the best of both world it

i don't know just tossing it out there lol

black94t
05-30-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm not sure if I buy into this conspiracy theory. Just "rebadging" is more than just changing the hood ornament. MANY places of the car are Toyota badged and the body style is incredibly different. I'd have to see to believe. :)

black94t
05-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Well, I stand corrected. I thought, "why dont I punch this BS into google?"

Bunch of crap showed up...Who would be soooo stupid to think, "oh it's got a toyota badge, it's a toyota" when it's obviously a piece of domestic rice crap-car to begin with....

http://members.shaw.ca/toyota_cavalier/files/page0_1.jpg

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :wtf:

ciento44
05-30-2008, 09:47 PM
yea ok a the ecotec can hit 1000 hp but will it last longer then 200 thousand miles NO!!! its a gm lol if Toyota build one with them we would have insane power and life long motor lol just think out the box here ppl take the best of both world it

i don't know just tossing it out there lol

I wasn't aware that Toyota made high horsepower motors anymore.... Besides like.... the IS-F and Tundra motors.

But still, that's not the point. I highly doubt anyone is going to make a 1000hp motor last that long.

There is nothing wrong with the Ecotec engine. It's a very strong engine. Toyota could make reliable dinosaurs like the 5sfe and 22re still, but they aren't competitive anymore, and aren't clean enough to compete.

I'm sure a stock Ecotec will have no problems hitting 200k miles.

celicatrd93
05-30-2008, 11:03 PM
i heard of the toyota cavalier, then i thought i was tripping. but i guess not.

Fuelish
06-02-2008, 09:39 PM
GM already sells parts and has a catalog that lets you take that sucker to 1000+hp. Surely you ain't talking 1000 hp outta a 2.2L 4 cylinder ???!!!??? I'd be mighty impressed, if so... and I doubt it would last worth a damn on a daily basis....not to mention, who the fuck wants to gas up a car with 1000hp ??? I'll pass, thanks ;). Damn, it must be nice to have disposable $$$ .................................................. ......wish I did............

ciento44
06-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Surely you ain't talking 1000 hp outta a 2.2L 4 cylinder ???!!!??? I'd be mighty impressed, if so... and I doubt it would last worth a damn on a daily basis....not to mention, who the fuck wants to gas up a car with 1000hp ??? I'll pass, thanks ;). Damn, it must be nice to have disposable $$$ .................................................. ......wish I did............

Check out the drag cobalts in the NHRA series. Most of what's been done to them, you can order in a catalogue.

celicaGT90_05
06-02-2008, 11:37 PM
you guys dont seem to be acknowledging another toyota/GM teamed up car...the Pontiac Vibe, sibling to the matrix

Galcobar
06-02-2008, 11:56 PM
True, but those are sold separately under the different badges because they were a collaboration of Toyota engineering and Pontiac design, rather than being the same car rebadged with some aesthetic upgrades.

They're not exactly subtle about the tie-in either. Pontiac's Vibe page has a comparison link: http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles-2009/pontiac/vibe/compare?adv=80708

burnyd
06-03-2008, 12:00 AM
yes the gm tuners catalog has a full assembly stage parts you can buy to make a 1000hp turbo charged car.

Its unreal you should definately take a look at it.

The one pro street car the 2.2l powered ecotech cobalt is all parts from GM tuners and that car goes consistant 9's. Its unreal.