PDA

View Full Version : Celicatech Member In Need Of Help Fast!!!! Please Read!!!

rallyboy
05-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Hello CelicaTech,

I race a 1991 Celica GT-S 2.2L on a dirt track in a 4-Cylinder Stock Car Class. Last weekend (May 24th) was my first race in the car since we built it and we won...now the problem is the other drivers.

The other drivers are saying my car exceeds 140HP / 140 torque. These numbers are the maximum amount of horsepower and torque your allowed to run in the class. If your car is over, you cannot race.

NOW. I've researched my car for over a year before we built it and from what I found out it has...

HP: 130
Torque: 140

Model: 1991 Toyota Celica GT-S 2.2L (Manual)

http://photos-208.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v250/173/32/559182208/n559182208_1269956_2842.jpg

Reply to this thread ASAP and confirm if these specs are right! The rest of the racing season and the fate of my car depends on finding the truth!

USE EVERY SOURCE POSSIBLE!!! PLEASE!!!

burnyd
05-29-2008, 10:35 PM
well you win for hp... for tq it makes 145ft lbs sorry.

ciento44
05-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Tell them to pay for your dyno...

I would be good money your car is putting out less than 115whp/125wtq.

Anyways, you're right, according to Edmunds and everyone else.

ciento44
05-29-2008, 10:37 PM

Sorry friend, you lose the game, it's a Rev1.

sloceli
05-29-2008, 10:39 PM

Not for the 90-91s its 130hp 140tq. The 92s are 135hp 145tq.

rallyboy
05-29-2008, 10:45 PM
I OWN A 91 PEOPLE! 92 IS THE YEAR THE 135hp 145tq COMES INTO PLAY!!!!

burnyd
05-29-2008, 10:47 PM
woops thought only 90s were rev 1's my fault yo!

ciento44
05-29-2008, 10:49 PM
I OWN A 91 PEOPLE! 92 IS THE YEAR THE 135hp 145tq COMES INTO PLAY!!!!

There is nothing that will say that a 1991 Celica GTS will make more than 130/140.

Tell them to do some damn research and shut their faces. Are they talking crank or wheel horse?

Lonestag
05-29-2008, 10:51 PM
I can't help with the HP/TQ numbers but your car is sweet.

rallyboy
05-29-2008, 10:53 PM
There is nothing that will say that a 1991 Celica GTS will make more than 130/140.

Tell them to do some damn research and shut their faces. Are they talking crank or wheel horse?

Actually good point. They don't even know.

COMON PEOPLE!!!! I NEED HELP!!!!!

ciento44
05-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Actually good point. They don't even know.

COMON PEOPLE!!!! I NEED HELP!!!!!

Ermm.... what else do you need?

rallyboy
05-29-2008, 10:57 PM
I need proof. The results so far are mixed. What is the true HP and Torque?

ciento44
05-29-2008, 11:01 PM
I need proof. The results so far are mixed. What is the true HP and Torque?

As said... the only dissenting vote admitted he was wrong.

92 was the first year of 135/145.

90/91 was 130/140. It's pretty well documented everywhere on the internet, and probably on old sales brochures from back in the day, too.

wrongboy
05-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Isn't this info in a Chilton's?

spaztheweird1
05-29-2008, 11:31 PM
doesn't it come down to what motors in the car, also did you do anything to intake?? exhaust? and change to motor its self those are factors say you have a 140hp and 140 t car and all the others are the same you run straight pipe cold air performance spark plugs,wires,and cap run royal purple oil could toss the basic spec of the car off from stock and also to do work like you did strip it all out and take off crap from the motor and lets say you remove intake manifold for a lighter one would lighten the car up alot making it move faster which those ppl have to think about to .. but hey best of luck car looks good for mad max style lol :: i say spikes on the rims::

T-spoon
05-29-2008, 11:51 PM
You want undeniable proof? Post pick of engine bay (just cause we're nosy in general). Find the VIN plate on the motor, make sure it matches the vin plates on the dash, door edges panels etc. Find Toyota's published numbers for the year model that your VIN says you are. If the motor is the original and everything is stock on it, then you'll have the proof right there. If they want more proof, they can pay for a dyno. You're very unlikely to be making even the Toyota published numbers. Over the years cars don't tend to gain power.

Shadowlife25
05-30-2008, 12:55 AM
Dyno is the only way to determine true whp. As for the STOCK numbers, 130/140 is correct.

If they still wanna whine about it, tell 'em to become better drivers.

Luni
05-30-2008, 01:24 AM
Yeah no shit.

130/140 is what toyota says your engine should make according to their manufacturing specs and schematics.

Since the classes and specs in classes are determined by manufacturers projected numbers, you fall into the category properly and the people youre racing and apparently beating the shit out of need to do something to get faster and learn more about your car.

You are within guidelines according to the rules youve posted

Colossus20v
05-30-2008, 01:35 AM
:)

I agree with what everyone said. Even Burnyd after he corrected himself.

rallyboy
05-30-2008, 01:49 AM
Can anyone find any sales brochure or some published material (physical ex. book, manuals) that will say THE PROPER SPECS?

Thanks to everyone for the help. This says a lot about this site :)

Luni
05-30-2008, 02:20 AM
We need someone with the original window sticker for a 91 GTS.

Galcobar
05-30-2008, 02:35 AM
Try visiting a Toyota dealership, see if they can print out the specs sheet or engine description from the relevant repair manual.

Galcobar
05-30-2008, 02:37 AM
There's also this PDF of a 1990 review, including detailed specs:
http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2435

Simonhla
05-30-2008, 02:44 AM
How about doing your own homework? It's one thing to ask people for technical help, it's another to ask them to do your leg work for you.

Shadowlife25
05-30-2008, 04:16 AM
How about doing your own homework? It's one thing to ask people for technical help, it's another to ask them to do your leg work for you.

How about you ease up? :squint:

If anyone had a problem helping him, they wouldn't post. Which is what YOU should have done. :thumbsdow

T-spoon
05-30-2008, 04:33 AM

I like that he built his dirt racer and is doing well (I remember his posts while he was building it). I don't like that I don't know who the heck you are or what you've contributed to the Celica world and and you're getting on his case. Fail.

geebes
05-30-2008, 04:44 AM
^PWN!

You could print a statement from the edmunds website, i guess?

CHRiS'_CeLiCa
05-30-2008, 06:36 AM
you won with a celi and prolly won big im assuming, congrats on that...anyone who gets PWNT like that always cries and has some p00n excuse as to why they lost teh gheynus.....

Shadowlife25
05-30-2008, 07:03 AM
I was gonna call my friend at the dealership tomorrow and see if he's give me the OE specs. Or maybe T-Spoon can double check at work tomorrow? (hint hint) ;)

KoreanJoey
05-30-2008, 07:04 AM
T-spoon doesn't work at a dealership anymore...

but I know someone who does... *wink*

Simonhla
05-30-2008, 08:04 AM
I like that he built his dirt racer and is doing well (I remember his posts while he was building it). I don't like that I don't know who the heck you are or what you've contributed to the Celica world and and you're getting on his case. Fail.

I'm not going to bother saying much because I don't want to get into an argument and I understand where you are coming from. Nonetheless I will:

1. Stand by my original post. Which was not intended to be offensive but merely stating that the proof he asked for can be found with a google search and a little leg work. Why ask others to do it.

2. The propensity to use the term "fail" as a stand alone sentence makes little or no sense and even if it did it would be indicative of a poor grasp of basic syntax.

3. It doesn't matter 'who the heck' i am. It makes my post neither more or less relevant.

KoreanJoey
05-30-2008, 08:12 AM
3. It doesn't matter 'who the heck' i am. It makes my post neither more or less relevant.

Actually it does.

You've asked a lot of questions that could have been answered if you looked a bit harder

for example.

The 6th generation transmission is I believe slightly better. As I am having to replace my existing tranny which has blown out I am wondering if I can put a 6th Gen into a 5th Gen (providing both come from a 5sfe engine) and is there a notable improvement. I think it is a rebuilt 1994 tranny. I have a 92 GT.

I have searched the forum and this has not been discussed. Thanks.

answered here

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34304&highlight=s54

again here

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34121&highlight=s54

and here

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34087&highlight=s54

and here

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30459&highlight=s54

Notice how no one told you, but now that you mention it, use your own advice and use the search function.

ciento44
05-30-2008, 03:42 PM
^ Oh dear god i lol'd.

T-spoon
05-30-2008, 04:18 PM
I'm not going to bother saying much because I don't want to get into an argument and I understand where you are coming from. Nonetheless I will:

1. Stand by my original post. Which was not intended to be offensive but merely stating that the proof he asked for can be found with a google search and a little leg work. Why ask others to do it.

2. The propensity to use the term "fail" as a stand alone sentence makes little or no sense and even if it did it would be indicative of a poor grasp of basic syntax.

1. If it wasn't meant to be offensive, use your obvious grasp of the English language to make sure you come across how you intend to. "Why ask others to do it." is a question and should therefore be ended with a "?" rather than a ".". Also, the information he was asking for is not readily available with a quick google search. I have looked. He doesn't need to know the information, he already has it, what he needs is something "official".

2. Using fail as a stand alone sentence is well known slang of sorts, both on this forum and across the internet. It gets the point across without having to wax verbose, as I sometimes do. By all means though if you'd rather I show your failure in multiple sentences or even paragraphs, I will oblige - time permitting. If you are unfamiliar with slang and don't understand it, please feel free to do a simple google search.

3. KJ pointed out quite nicely how who you are matters when you post things like that. The OP has a history of doing a lot on his own (there aren't a ton of people on this site building "stock" dirt racers to compete. He did most of that on his own and has not asked a bunch of stupid questions or ignored advise when given). That means when he asks a reasonable question, it doesn't need to be answered with, "go find it yourself noob", especially from someone who contributes little to nothing. So please forgive my use of a common internet one-word sentence when I repeat.

FAIL.

PS. (The "You" in that sentence is understood, because I'm talking to You. You'll find that sort of thing throughout English grammar. So really if you want to get technical about it, it's a two word complete sentence with the subject dropped because we all know who the subject is.)

**Noooooowwwww back to the original topic!**

rallyboy
05-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Wow...

Maybe I should relax a little when it comes to asking for help. First of all thanks to everyone for posting something in this thread. It means a bundle. I'm just anxious to find out the truth because my season depends on it and it would also mean the last 9 mouths have been a total waste.

I still need something solid I can give to the track who is doing the investigation. I've talked to dealers in the city and many of them say "they don't know", "yes we have the specs", or the famous "call Toyota Canada".

I have a copy of Mitchell Ondemand5 software and have used the online version at various garages like Goodyear Fountain Tire and it says 130hp/140 torque. My worry is if Toyota Canada says otherwise....who has the correct specs? And if there is a difference in the numbers...WHY?

Please if anyone has a manual and it say the specs for the 1991 Celica GT-S, please scan it in and post it on this thread. I bought the car used from a young kid and he didn't own the factory manual.

Thanks.

VikingJZ
05-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Simon, we are not a forum that tells people to SEAAAAAAAARCH like some do. You would have already been banned over at ClubLexus if you owned a Lexus and were asking some of the questions I have seen you ask.

Don't come here and make up your own rules. Follow the trend and practices of admins and mods, as well as established members of the community.

Simonhla
05-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Actually it does.

You've asked a lot of questions that could have been answered if you looked a bit harder

for example.

answered here

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34304&highlight=s54

again here

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34121&highlight=s54

and here

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34087&highlight=s54

and here

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30459&highlight=s54

Notice how no one told you, but now that you mention it, use your own advice and use the search function.

Thanks, you're right. I was totally hypocritical there. I stand chastised.

And T-Spoon, clearly we have rubbed each other up the wrong way. On the whole I have been very polite and appreciative for the assistance I have received from people on here and am very interested in becoming part of the celica community, however I just can't get over the feeling that I want to tell you to go and fornicate yourself. I am sure the feeling is mutual.

All the best.

grayscale
05-30-2008, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't go by anything Toyota Canada says, IIRC, they had some motors we did not, and if they were the same, other laws and codes are different in Canada than here.

Anyway, have you shown anything to the track officials yet? If so, what? IMO, the first thing you need to do is ask the officials exactly what they need to see- an original brochure?- a service manual?- an original window sticker?

Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for you to produce something, but the burden of proof also falls upon them, they need to be specific. It seems to me that some one has made a flippant remark to them and now they are questioning you. Let me ask you this- how do they okay some one to race in a certain class? Do they just take some ones word for it that the car is in the correct class? Or did you have to provide something when you entered? I'm just glad I'm not you, I'd tell 'em to go fawk themselves and get the proof on their own if they want it that bad.

Anyway, don't worry about it, we all know the specs we've posted are right, it's just a matter of finding an official looking piece of paper to give those idiots. Let me look at the papers that came with me car and see what I can find.

ciento44
05-30-2008, 10:39 PM

And T-Spoon, clearly we have rubbed each other up the wrong way. On the whole I have been very polite and appreciative for the assistance I have received from people on here and am very interested in becoming part of the celica community, however I just can't get over the feeling that I want to tell you to go and fornicate yourself. I am sure the feeling is mutual.

All the best.

Dude... it's like Newbster learned some grammar.

grayscale
05-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Dude... it's like Newbster learned some grammar.
:lolerz:

T-spoon
05-31-2008, 03:00 AM

All the best.

Meh, nevermind, not worth it :)

tekstep01
05-31-2008, 08:11 AM
mario - 1 jackass - 0 yeah! ~LONG LIVE THE HATCHI'~

rallyboy
06-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the support at such a dark time in my racing career. The following part of this post was emailed to me yesterday with the official word about the future of my Celica…

This email was sent from the track promoter who headed the investigation.

Subject: Require Specifications for Toyota Celica specs

Hello (Anonymous driver) AKA Rallyboy,

I have just received this email from Toyota Canada and it looks like you are
good to go for the rest of the season.

Also I know we talked about it, but there have been 4 - 5 drivers that have
emailed or called in this week with comments of over aggressive driving on
your behalf - so as a friend - giving you fair notice that the race director
will be paying closer attention to your race on the 21st.

Enjoy the weekend and put it in victory circle again and keep them talking!

This email was sent from Toyota Canada to the track promoter with the official say.

Subject: RE: Require Specifications for Toyota Celica specs

Dear Mr. (track promoter):

Thank you for your recent correspondence.

Please be advised that the information you have requested be as follow:

The Horsepower: 130@5400 RPM
The Torque: 140 lb.ft@4400 RPM

We hope this information is helpful. Thank you again for writing.

Sincerely,

(Anonymous employee)
Customer Interaction Centre
Toyota Canada Inc.

Well it's over...and I can’t explain how good it feels to know I can go back to putting all those Honda’s, Mazda’s, Ford’s, Acura’s, Nissan's, Volkswagens, Hyundai’s, and the occasional Talon’s to shame with a legit car. The truth has never been so sweet.

From all the forums I’ve been apart of, I’ve never gotten support quite like this. Thanks for everything Celica Tech.

NOW…where can I find a Vectored version of the CelicaTech Logo!

T-spoon
06-01-2008, 12:47 AM
Well that's good to hear :) By the way, any idea what they might be referring to on that overly agressive driving bit? Just a little Nascar rubbin' or what? :hehe:

rallyboy
06-01-2008, 01:00 AM
The races are 100 laps long and the championship race is 150 laps. The track is 4/10ths of a mile long and I hit speeds around 75 mph before I start a Scandinavian flick.

I started last in that race in a field of 26 cars. At the end of the day I was first.

I did what I had to do. If you had saw what the other drivers were dishing out on my car I think you would agree I was treating them equally.

I was approached by a spectator after the race saying he was going to post some highlights of that race on Youtube. If that ever does happen i'll post the link on this site. I also have to post the rest of my build photo's on my other thread.

If anyone is ever thinking of going dirt track racing in a Celica, let me know. I'll be happy to help!

Thanks again :)

Cavanagh
06-01-2008, 06:47 AM
Got into the thread late, but happy to hear it all worked out man! And im not naming names, but i saw some hardcore pwning.

Moral of the Story: YAY C-Tech!