PDA

View Full Version : beams swap transmission questions

CelicaHero
05-29-2008, 04:43 AM
beams swap transmission questions
ok so i'm new to celica tech. i have had a 92 gt for 2 years and after researching engines to swap into it i have finally decided to go with the red top beams 3sge. i know it will hook up to my stock transmission and from what i have heard from people is that a higher performance clutch is suggested. i have a ceramic center force clutch in it now and i think that will be enough. but i was also thinking about putting a UR kevlar clutch in. i am also planing on doing all this in my driveway. i was wondering how i should go about doing this. should i install the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, and bell housing and then install the tranny ? or does anyone know a better way? also does anyone know of a better transmission i could get to handle more power? i would like to get more power out of the engine when i have the money so i want to be ready when i do. also does anyone know of any other treads that have clutch assembly pictures or have any that they could post. thanks for taking the time to read and answer any of my questions.

-Matt

zen
05-30-2008, 12:36 AM
being that the 3sge is still in the "s" series engines, you could use the V6 camry/solara e153 transmission on it. This transmission can handle the abuse of the new engine. The other option is the e153 from the mr2 turbo but, you'll need to swap over the gear selector from the alltrac shifter cable holder. if you decide to go with either transmission, you'll also need hybrid axles (mr2 inner axles or camry/solara driverside inner and mr2 turbo passenger side axle with the bearing hub, alltrac outter axles). Also, a rear alltrac motor mount with an alltrac crossmember bar or you can fabricate the mount to work with the stock crossmember bar.

KoreanJoey
05-30-2008, 06:10 AM
You will need to run a 3SGE or 3SGTE flywheel. The 3S series crank has a different bolt pattern than the 5SFE.

3SGTE uses a larger flywheel so if you go that way you'd have to get a matched clutch disk in order to use an S series trans (S54 or S53 from the 90-99 Celicas) or you can do the swap for the E series trans (MR2 Turbo 3SGTE or Solara V6) which uses the same spline count as the 3SGTE clutch disk.

Or you could find a 3SGE flywheel... where? I have no idea.

DAVAGOGO
05-31-2008, 02:09 AM
Why not just get the transmission with the engine. The beams trans that went in tha Japanese celicas were not lsd but they were beefier than a 5s tranny. The lsd transmissions were used in the beams mr2s. I bought mine as a clip so I have all the jdm parts entact. I did upgrade the clutch though. I've got a competition clutch. Did the suspension and brakes too... all upgrades. I only paid 4K including shipping to get half a celica over from Japan. That was 2 years ago though. I recommend a beams swap. I've got a sweet ride.

extremeskillz
05-31-2008, 02:52 AM
I've got a sweet ride.
He's not kidding either.

BTW David I saw the other day riding down Main street heading up Lonsdale. I was 2 cars behind but in my work van I was going to catch up but you disappears with your zippy car! haha

CelicaHero
05-31-2008, 06:47 AM
thanks guys. i think i'm guna use my stock tranny cuz to buy the engine with the tranny is another 1000$ more and i can get a performance clutch and flywheel for that much. but then i would have a tranny with less ware and tare on it. god dammit. now you got me wanting the new tranny too. do you know what tranny they used on the red top beams engine so i can look up clutches for it. i really want a kevlar clutch do to their durability. if i get the tranny that comes with the beams engine are there any other parts i'll have to change to accommodate it? and one more thing, is $3000 for a beams engine with tranny clutch ecu wiring harness and everything a good price with around 34000 miles. it doesn't seem bad, thats the cheapest i can find it for.

thanks again for your help guys.