PDA

View Full Version : 6th Gen transmission in the 5th Gen

Simonhla
05-28-2008, 01:49 AM
The 6th generation transmission is I believe slightly better. As I am having to replace my existing tranny which has blown out I am wondering if I can put a 6th Gen into a 5th Gen (providing both come from a 5sfe engine) and is there a notable improvement. I think it is a rebuilt 1994 tranny. I have a 92 GT.

I have searched the forum and this has not been discussed. Thanks.

CriScO
05-28-2008, 02:21 AM
Are we talking auto or manual?

If manual, the 5th gen uses the S53 tranny, the 6th gen uses the S54. Assuming the tranny you're looking at is US spec, the differences are mostly internal. It will bolt right up.

91 Celica GT-S
05-28-2008, 10:33 AM
im sure the s54 has been done before just not sure who. manual is more mechanical than anything the automatic would be more electrical so step away not today

wizzards581
05-28-2008, 05:12 PM
they both use same speed sensors?

Simonhla
05-28-2008, 06:32 PM
No it is an automatic. Does this make a difference?

CriScO
05-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Yes. The automatic transmission on any 5S engine is electronically controlled, so it needs the correct ECU to work properly. It will still bolt right up, but I don't know the specifics of the control unit. You could end up bolting on a transaxle that won't shift.

Of course I don't know for certain, but I do know they used different models of the automatic transaxle in the 6th gens. It'd be a risk.

I'll bow out now, my knowledge of the automatics stops in '89 with the hydraulic control A140L. Hopefully someone else knows more.

alltracman78
05-28-2008, 09:59 PM
The trans for the 5S is pretty basic as far as electronic trans go, so it actually should work fine.
The biggest worry would be the gear ratios.
If they're not the same it might confuse the ECU, and you might end up with funky shifts [higher or lower than you want]. It should still shift smooth any everything though.
It should still drive find though.

92 - 95 are pretty much the same car, minus physical dimensions and such, so you shouldn't have any problems I would think.