PDA

View Full Version : 7th Gen Buying Advice

RickyNo
05-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi Guys, been a f**n' long time since I came here. Hope eveybody I talked to in the past is doing well. (old name was deutchdogge).

I'm in the process of changing my rusted 5th gen GT-S for a 7th Gen. I found 2 interesting ones, both below 90,000km.

- A basic 2001 GT (no options added except for manual transmission)
- A fully equipped GTS 2002

I've heard stories about 6-speed transmission problem so I hesitate to go with the GTS, and I really don't mind about not having any options in the GT. The only thing that bothers me is having read drum brakes instead of discs. Did any GT came with rear-disc brakes? (with the ABS option maybe?)

I'me not yet sold to either models. I'm not into speeding anymore, I don't plan on modding the car either. I think the financial choice is the GT, but the heart choice is the GTS anyway.

BTW: I might sell the '93 GT-S in parts, I might still have some buyers despite the rust (real bad), since lots of parts were installed in the past 2 years, mostly OEM ones and at 267,000k it is still not leaking or burning any oil.
I will come back at you on this.

Care to give me some advices?
Personal experiences, good or bad?

geebes
05-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Personally, I really don't care for the 7th gens...so I say neither.

But, if I had to choose I'd go with the gts. As long as you aren't hard on the tranny i'm sure it would be fine...plus a 6speed would be sweet for mpgs!

partyball
05-27-2008, 04:23 PM
If your not modding it and your not into going fast anymore than get the GT. You van find them for a lot cheaper and you will get slightly better gas mileage. Good luck

Murgatroy
05-27-2008, 04:34 PM
Welcome back. We always wondered what happened to you.

Personally I would have to go with the GT-S. The idea of a 6-speed makes me happy.

Do you desire all the options? That would be a big point too, as would price, assuming the GT is cheaper.

Myself I don't like creature comforts. They add weight and detract from fuel economy (A/C.)

GT4SOM
05-27-2008, 04:55 PM
If you don't want to speed, go with the gt. BTW I don't think a Manual Tranny was ever an option. Automatic tranny is an upgrade because the dealers charge more for it.

RickyNo
05-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Yeah, my mistake about the tranny, it came standard and the auto was optional.

I don't care about all the options anyway, so I think I'll go with the GT, and it's in show-room condition, no scratches, oil-treated every year (we absolutely need this up here) never been smoked in.

I'll leave the GTS for someone else I think, anyway, it would put the budget too close to the red limit I think, with the additional insurances compared to the GT, and the gaz too (because he who thinks I'd keep it slow even if I rarely speed now needs to think about it twice... ;)

Anything specifics to the GT model I should be aware of ?

ciento44
05-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Personally, i'd get the GTS, for a few following reasons:

1) Yeah, we don't NEED creature comforts, but they're nice. A fully loaded 7th gen GTS will still weigh less than your 5th gen GTS, anyways.
2) 6-speed is baller status (:hehe:)
3) Resale value. GT-trims seem to have little to NO resale value locally, yet you see GTS all day every day getting more than 10k if it really nice shape
4) I highly doubt the MPG is going to be a difference enough to even worry about it.

If the GT is really that much nicer, and the price difference is that large, then really.... either will be a nice car, and you'd be happy with them.

PS: Don't worry about the rear drums, they're very well engineered, and it's a light car.

vip09
05-28-2008, 12:31 AM
If you are going to drive slow then get the GT.

About the 6 speed transmission..

THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH THE 6 SPEED TRANSMISSIONS.

Just problems with the drivers shifting into the wrong gear.

2002+ have wider shift gates than the 2000-2001.

burnyd
05-28-2008, 12:35 AM
get a gts I heard they go stock 14.7?

aballz
05-28-2008, 01:07 AM
Actually according to edmunds.com there's a significant increase in city gas mileage from GT (27/33) over the GTS (23/32). Not to mention supreme gas for the GTS while you can still use 87 for the GT. In this day and age with ever rising gas prices, I'd go with the GT.

vip09
05-28-2008, 01:15 AM
In my GTS I average 29mph just about every time I fill up. That's with 99% city driving and my car running rich from bad o2 sensors.

RickyNo
05-28-2008, 02:01 PM
I went to see the GT last night. The guy's the 2nd owner and bought at 45,000km, the engine had just been changed by the previous owner, a woman. He had to rebuild the tranny shortly after so... the car was, IMO, owned by someone who didn't know how to clutch-drive... but the guy is stubborn and won't drop his price at the one I'm willing to give, knowing this.

I found 2 other GT though, one is a 2000 at 106,000km, but it didn't answer my morning call, the other one has 160,000km but the engine, clutch and tranny are 45,000km. I still consider going to test-drive the GTS this afternoon.

What's up with all these rebuilt celicas? People forgot how to drive or what?

vip09
05-29-2008, 01:01 AM
What's up with all these rebuilt celicas? People forgot how to drive or what?

Probably from teenage drivers.

Luni
05-29-2008, 01:46 AM
You shouldnt have to rebuild a 1zz theyre bulletproof engines.

Im going to rebuild my 2zz this weekend.

And there are no issues with the 6speed trannies the 5speeds dont have too. They have shitty syncros. Other than that, the GTS is way better.

Ive had em both. Ive had a 2000 GT and I own a GTS and I love my GTS so much more.

car
05-29-2008, 01:55 AM
Probably from teenage drivers.

Come on now, I haven't blown up the 5sfe yet!

T-spoon
05-29-2008, 02:03 AM
Come on now, I haven't blown up the 5sfe yet!

I dunno, I personally think the 5s is a tougher motor than the ZZs

vip09
05-29-2008, 03:57 AM
I dunno, I personally think the 5s is a tougher motor than the ZZs

I'm loving my 2ZZ so far... 8000+ rpms every day. Never had a problem. My GTS has 120k on it right now.

donteatbugs
05-29-2008, 04:37 AM
i like the way that 14.7 second car drives. i wouldnt mind having a 2zz in my rolla

RickyNo
05-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Finally, I'm going to wait longer. The GTS is slightly out of price and the GT has been partly rebuilt. I'd prefer the GT-S so I'll wait a few more months and keep an eye opened for 2002+ GT-S. Anyway, the business is going better and better so I'll probably have more money to put on it in a few months.

Finally my head kept control of my urges to change right f** now. The old one's not dead yet anyway, but no, you won't see pictures of the body, it's a shame. ;)

ciento44
05-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Finally, I'm going to wait longer. The GTS is slightly out of price and the GT has been partly rebuilt. I'd prefer the GT-S so I'll wait a few more months and keep an eye opened for 2002+ GT-S. Anyway, the business is going better and better so I'll probably have more money to put on it in a few months.

Finally my head kept control of my urges to change right f** now. The old one's not dead yet anyway, but no, you won't see pictures of the body, it's a shame. ;)

Why do you want a 2002+? Lower rev limiter? :squint:

RickyNo
05-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Just to have a more recent car, since I decided to wait a few more months, and I'll never hit the rev limiter anyway. ;)

ciento44
05-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Just to have a more recent car, since I decided to wait a few more months, and I'll never hit the rev limiter anyway. ;)

Mmmmhrmmmm.... ever driven one? :hehe:

RickyNo
05-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Mmmmhrmmmm.... ever driven one? :hehe:

Not where I could have a heavy right foot. :burn:

Luni
05-30-2008, 01:37 AM
I dunno man, I dont think Id trade a 5th gen GTS for a 7th gen GT. I like the 5th gen better.

Id rather have my 7th gen GTS over a 5th gen GTS tho. There really is THAT much of a difference.

Seriously, the GT is an eco box. It isnt a sports car. It isnt fast, it handles and brakes good. I had one, it was a good car. But I definately wouldnt take one over a decent condition 5th gen GTS.

Get the 7th gen GTS, or fix yours, or get a better condition 5th gen GTS.

7th Gen GT is just a 2 door sporty corolla. And DONT get an auto. No matter WHAT car you get.

Please?

RickyNo
05-30-2008, 03:14 PM
hehehe, don't worry Luni. That's one of the reason for my waiting a little longer, I cannot put aside the fact the GTS is more appealing to me than the GT. I went to see the GTS last night, I was passing-by... damn it hurts knowing someone else will probably go away with it before me...

Smaay
06-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Trust me if you get the GT and then expereience Lift, you will regret getting the GT. get the GT-S. oh as for gas, i have been using 87 gas in my GT-S for months now. its just a little low on power, thats it. the stock computer will adjust for the gas.

and i wouldnt say the 1ZZ is bullet proof. the early ones had serious ring issues with buring oil. 2ZZ's have had no problems at all.

RickyNo
06-02-2008, 06:44 PM
I so would like to find a 5K$ in the pockets of the jeans on my bedroom floor... damn... only 5K missing and I'd have a nice GTS in hands...

Idiot Stick
06-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Trust me if you get the GT and then expereience Lift, you will regret getting the GT. get the GT-S. oh as for gas, i have been using 87 gas in my GT-S for months now. its just a little low on power, thats it. the stock computer will adjust for the gas.

and i wouldnt say the 1ZZ is bullet proof. the early ones had serious ring issues with buring oil. 2ZZ's have had no problems at all.

I was about to reply with the same information regarding the 1zz. Theyve got issues with Burning oil.

2ZZ's weakness is the people driving the 6 speed shifting from 3 to 2 instead of 4, and over-revving it.

Simonhla
06-02-2008, 10:18 PM
I have to say, that as much as I love Celicas...and I really do love my Celica.....my love for them stopped after the 5th gen. The later generations are just fugly, fugly cars. For an economy sports car that looks as cool as sh*t you can't go wrong with a 5th gen. If I was looking for better performance and still wanted something good looking I'd have to look at another brand entirely. Why did those lovely flip lights and that cool design ever go out of fashion??

ciento44
06-02-2008, 10:39 PM
I have to say, that as much as I love Celicas...and I really do love my Celica.....my love for them stopped after the 5th gen. The later generations are just fugly, fugly cars. For an economy sports car that looks as cool as sh*t you can't go wrong with a 5th gen. If I was looking for better performance and still wanted something good looking I'd have to look at another brand entirely. Why did those lovely flip lights and that cool design ever go out of fashion??

Because 6th gens are smexy, too? :hehe:

Simonhla
06-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Because 6th gens are smexy, too? :hehe:

LOL well it is all subjective anyway.....opinions always are. Just my 2 cents worth.

RickyNo
04-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Diggin' up an old thread...

I knew patience would pay in the long run, if everything goes as planned, I'll have my hands on a 2002 GT-S fully equipped, low mileage, extra clean, before the end of the week. The current GT-S should also be sold in the week (got a few buyers, one serious though) to pay for the only missing thing on the car: the original mags... so F'in what? I'll have the ones I want on it.

I never thought I'd buy a ... yellow car. ;)
Probably be back later with questions, and pics of course.

v3
04-27-2009, 11:27 PM
02" GT-S has higher lift engagement and lower rev limit. If you get it be sure to swap the ECU for an 00 or 01.

Luni
04-28-2009, 01:31 AM
You also need the knock sensor from a 2000 to lower that lift engagement point.

vip09
04-28-2009, 02:51 AM
Good call Luni.

I thought yellow wasn't an option until 2003? Maybe I'm wrong.

Luni
04-28-2009, 02:57 AM
I think youre right Vip

Pretty sure Yellow is an OEM 2003 color. 2000, 2001, and 2002 are physically identical. Only different is in 02 they messed with lift engagement and fuel cut

2003 ones got a different bumper, their interior lights are all the same color.

Hey, to Ricky, sit in the car in the evening, and turn on the lights inside. If ALL the interior lights are orange (like the gauge bezel, and the HVAC controls, and radio etc) its a 2003. If the gauges are orange and everything else is green, its a pre 03.

RickyNo
04-29-2009, 05:09 PM
CARFAX returns me this with the VIN:

Year/Make/Model: 2002 TOYOTA CELICA GT-S
Body Style: LIFTBACK 3 DR
Engine Type: 1.8L L4 FI 16V
Manufactured In: JAPAN
Search Results: 5 records found in our database

I read about the rev limiter being lower on the 02 and 05, I don't really mind, not 20 anymore. ;)

I didn't know about the higher lift engagement though.
(I'm not familiar with this term... anyone care to explain in a few words?)

Luni, I'll come back at you on this for sure.

Luni
04-29-2009, 05:42 PM
On a GTS it has a second cam profile like a Honda with VTEC.

When you get to 6000 or 6250 rpm depending on where yours is, your car surges forward with liek 40 more hp because its on a larger cam and more air is moving.

Thats what LIFT is.

RickyNo
04-29-2009, 06:35 PM
valves lift, ok, that's clear.

vip09
04-30-2009, 04:05 AM
Luni, 2003 also has drive-by-wire instead of a throttle cable. I'm sure you knew that though. ;)

RickyNo
05-05-2009, 04:58 PM
:wiggle:

... and here is the car, in the vbGarage... (http://www.celicatech.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=1139&garage=1431)

donteatbugs
05-05-2009, 09:33 PM
i miss driving my 7th gen so bad.... i hope you have fun with it